Chapter 41- A Council Meeting From Hell

^^My baby's the hottest xD^^

"Don't judge yourself by the past. You don't live there anymore."

Chapter 41

River's POV

"What have you done, father?"

His Highness' eyes narrowed, a deadly silence following. The tension grew a ten-fold as Isaiah sniffed quietly, face buried in Derek's chest as Derek held him tightly, eyes focused intently on His Highness' face.

"This is how you greet your father after a week away?" His arms drew in a tight knot across his chest.

Alastair remained silent, eyes darkening by the moment.

I felt a tremble run down my back as his arms tightened harshly around me.

"A-Alastair," I looked up at him but his eyes remained unwavering, focusing solely on the subject of his anger.

"Y-you're h-hurting m-me," I managed through gasps. His hold was growing painfully tight as I wiggled in his hold.

He seemed to snap out of it then, arms abruptly pulling from me as he let out a low gasp.

"I'm so sorry, love." He spoke quietly, words barely audible.

I nodded acknowledgedly while rubbing at my chest.

His Highness peered down at me, a small smirk beginning to become apparent on the corners of his lips. "I'd be careful, River."

I soaked in his words.

I knew of Alastair's anger. We've discussed it already. It was a matter he needed to work on and he knew it. His wolf, though suppressed, had a presence. A dangerous, dominant presence that Alastair has a difficult time containing at times. Times in which his anger rules over his mind.

He's working on it.

I looked up at him, catching his hazel eyes set on my face. My heart beated desperately against my chest as I peered back down, a small smile gracing my lips.

"Since you've returned, a meeting with the council is in order. We need to begin planning our next step." His Highness spoke up.

Alastair nodded, following his father as he turned out the door.

Am I meant to follow him or...?

I felt a gentle hand sweep by mine as Alastair's fingers wrapped around my wrist.

"Come, love."

I listened, following him out as he hand held mine.

"You can't be serious, son." His Highness exclaimed as he eyed our joined hands.

"Problem?" Alastair raised a brow.

"A huge problem," his father sighed, "You do not bring your mate to a council meeting."

"Is that so?" Alastair mused, continuing ahead with not a single look in his father's direction.

"Alastair," his father exclaimed loudly as Alastair stopped before a large, wooden door.

"Yes?" He asked lightly, face remaining neutral.

I squeezed Alastair's hand lightly. He peered down at me with quizzical eyes.

"I can go to the garden if I'm not meant to be here. I haven't been there in a long while and I was hoping to revisit today anyway." His brows pulled tight.

"No."

"No?" His father scoffed.

"No, I want you to be there. You need to know what's going on in your own kingdom."