Chapter 15- Unwanted Guests

^Don't you just feel like Alastair is peering into your soul O.O^

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.'"
-Benjamin Franklin

Chapter 15

River's POV

I awoke to murmurs of excitement and shrieks from nearby maids as they spoke in hushed whispers outside our room.

What's going on..?

Did I miss something?

I turned in bed only to feel a cold spot from where Alastair's warm form had been previously causing me to frown in disappointment.

Where did he go?

"Did you hear?" A hushed voice sounded outside our door.

The curious side in me awakened as I tentatively creek out of our bed and sneaked towards the door. As embarrassing as it is to admit I've always been a huge snoop. In the marketplace, I always used to love to listen to the merchants gossip among themselves. It's really bad, but I just can't help it.

"-mating ceremony", one giggled.

My eyes widened.

Are they talking about what I think they're talking about..?

How do they know? Did Alastair..?

No. He wouldn't. Unless...

I barged through the door scaring the living daylights out of the maidservants as I stomped my way to Alastair's office.

I barged through the door; not even bothering to knock.

"How could you-" Alastair began screaming towards his brother, veins popping angrily from his neck, mouth agape.

He turned towards me, eyes widening as he takes in my small form.

"Love, what are you-"

"How do they know?"

Alastair's eyes flashed towards his brother with a growl.

Keith raised his arms in mock defeat with a smirk plastered across his face, "Guilty."

"Did you-"

"By mistake rat out your mating ceremony punch line? Why, yes. Yes, I did."

"Why?"

He scratched his neck, "Well before my brother decides to sever my head from my shoulders, I'd like to start with saying it was not on purpose," a resounding growl came from Alastair's direction, "And that if I could-"

"What the hell happened, àsswipe?! Stop dragging this out and just get to the damn punchline!" Alastair growled.

His shoulders were tense as he hunched over in his leather seat.

I have to do something.

I scurried across the room as I placed myself in Alastair's lap, kissing his neck gently. His hands froze midair for a few seconds before placing them on my waist and pulling me closer. He stuck his face into my mop of hair and slowly breathed in my scent.

His shoulders began to unwind and his posture loosened as he breathed me in.

A smile etched its way onto my face as I pulled away to look at him. He smiled down at me with a small, tired smile as he rubbed the pad of his finger against my cheek in a slow, gentle fashion. He bent down and kissed me softly on the lips, allowing me to soak in the warmth and electricity that radiated off his soft, plump lips.