Chapter 53- The Mating Party part 2

^Ron and Allen (from Heat Camp)^

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."
                    -Bob Marley

Chapter 53

River's POV

I froze in place, hands locked by my side as the table quieted to a mere hush. Feyona pushed her way through the crowd of mingling nobles, earning herself glares of disapproval. And it was then, just as she almost reached our table, that she shoved the wrong person and got a cup of wine poured all over the front of her cream-colored dress. She stopped in place, hissing momentarily before peering up and glaring a the poor boy. His eyes widened and boyish smile dropped from his face.

He seemed unsure what to do as he fidgeted in place.

I heard Michael's laughter from across the table, earning him a heated stare from Feyona as her eyes whirled from the poor boy to Michael with the kind of speed that could result in whiplash. She sent one last glare at the boy before stomping her way to our table. I momentarily debated whether I should make an escape off the balcony but before I could stand from my seat, Feyona was towering right above me.

I heard a chair screech beside me as Feyona's eyes gazed blazingly down at me. I awaited the harsh words that were sure to tumble from her mouth. Yet, none came. She merely stood there silently.

She looked mad, disoriented. Merely standing, eyes digging into my face, widened out of proportion. Her dress was soaked with wine yet she had yet to reach for a napkin. She merely allowed the liquid to seep through her clothing and down her tights as she stood in place.

It was when her hand began to reach out to me that I felt my body being pulled back. My body lost its balance, almost face-planting if not for the broad arm that wrapped itself around my waist as the other grabbed Feyona's hand before it could reach me. Time seemed to stop, my breath thickened as her hand hovered mere inches from my face, shaking within the tight hold of the man behind me.

"Feyona!" A voice called yet Feyona refused to draw her eyes from mine. Hyde came running in our direction frantically. He looked horrified, eyes bulging from their sockets as he grabbed Feyona by the opposite arm and turned her around hastily.

The hold around Feyona's hand dropped, though the arm around my waist remained. I turned my head slightly, making eye-contact with Alastair as he let out a relieved sigh and adjusted his arm around my waist.

Hyde apologized profusely before pivoting on his heels and dragging Feyona along with him away from us. From behind him, I could see Isaiah watching from the entryway of the balcony. His eyes were slightly pink as he wiped his face with his sleeve and leaned against the wall, waiting as Hyde made his way back to him.

"Well," Beatrice broke the silence as she took a long sip of her tea, "that was strange."

I nodded in agreement just as Alastair turned his attention to the boy, still standing in shock by our table.

"Ron," Alastair called. The boy's head whipped in our direction.

"Prince Alastair," his voice came out in one solid breath.

They know each other?

The boy approached Alastair, boyish smile returning as his eyes brightened.

"It's been so long," the boy, Ron, exclaimed. His eyes turned to meet mine with a bright smile, "I am so happy to see everything working out for you."

"Thank you," Alastair returned his smile. "Where is the rest of the gang?" Alastair let out a light laugh as Ron's eyes brightened.

"Allen's by the dessert table," Ron pointed off to a table by the side where a small dirty blond stood, stuffing his face with sweet cakes. "Eating away his troubles," he sighed, "I'm trying to get him out, introduce him to new people."