Chapter 8

Nobody said it was gonna be easy, but no one ever said it would be this hard

***

| Bailey |

Melia and I sit on the porch swing outside, rocking slowly back and forth. It's a dreary day today; the sky is dark gray and gloomy and a light mist falls from above. I wrap myself tighter in my blanket as I push the swing back and forth, listening to the rhythmic squeak of the chains as they move.

I idly look down at my phone sitting in my lap, but quickly look away upon seeing my reflection in the black screen. Chemo is definitely taking a toll on me. I eat at least a half of what I used to and I'm already starting to loose weight. My face is pale and blank and dark circles have formed under my eyes. My hair is thinning and becoming brittle as well.

When a cold gust of wind whips the rain at our faces, I seek refuge in my blanket before scurrying inside. I'm already shivering as I make myself comfortable on the couch in between Melia and Arden. Mom, who just got home, smiles at us from across the room, "Hi Melia, nice to see you again." Melia returns the smile and the two of them go into a deep discussion about how school is going. I sigh and look down at my lap. I can't say I don't miss school, because I actually do. I never thought I'd say that before, but I miss being a normal fifteen year old girl and going to school and laughing with my friends. Hearing Melia talk about the school year winding down and how one of our friends, Katie, was asked to the end of year dance just makes me miss it more. Arden seems to notice my discomfort and gently placed her hand on my thigh, sending me a sympathetic smile.

"I really miss having you at school, Bai. I need my trusty sidekick back," Melia teases. I can hear the sadness in her voice, though, and it makes me sad, too.

"Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I actually miss school too." Mom and Arden giggle and I give a small smile. Melia smiles at me sadly and gives me a tight side hug.

"It's alright, dear. You'll be back before you know it," mom says with a hopeful smile. How is she so confident that everything will be okay?

"Oh, Ashton called me earlier," Arden says quietly. She flicks her eyes to me and then back to mom, "He says hi and that he misses everyone. Especially Bailey. He says you haven't talked to him in a while," Arden says, turning her attention back to me.

I look down at the blanket covering my legs. It's true, I haven't talked to him in a while. The last time I did, I tried to tell him about my cancer, but he said he had to go. I had actually talked to him again after that with the plan to tell him, but he was just too happy. He was over the moon about some drummer award he was nominated for and couldn't wait to tell the rest of the family all about it. I just couldn't crush his spirits.

"Yeah. I've been trying to tell him and I still haven't," I mumble, playing with the frayed end of my blanket.

"Why not?" Mom asks gently.

"The first time I tried, he said he had to go and I didn't want to just drop it on him. I tried again but he was really excited about an award he was nominated for. I saw how happy he was and I just couldn't do it," I explain, looking down guiltily.

"Bailey!" Arden and Melia both scold me, making me feel even worse.

"I just can't, he's too happy!" I try to defend myself, but it's not really working.

"As opposed to what? Sad?" Melia questions. "'Oh hey, sorry you're in a sucky mood, but just thought I'd let you know I have cancer, have a nice day!'"
I roll my eyes and lay down on the couch, feeling tears well in my eyes.

"Why didn't I just tell him when I told everyone else?!" I exclaim, getting frustrated. "Now he's going to be mad at me, which is going to make me upset and he's going to blame me for trying to turn the situation around and making it about me by being upset when he's mad at me and —" I'm on the verge of a breakdown now, heaving and gasping for breath as I try not to cry.

"Bailey, sweetie," mom whispers, coming over to the couch I'm seated on. She envelopes me in a hug and holds me tightly, and I finally sob into her chest. "It's going to be okay, my love, shhh," she soothes.

"It's not okay! I could die, and Ashton still doesn't know! The longer I wait, the worse it's going to get!" I sob. Melia wraps her arms around me as well, trying to help mom calm me down.

"Alright, then let's tell him now," mom says gently. I look up at her, bewildered. "What? Now? As in, right this very moment?" I question with a shaky voice. Mom nods sadly, wiping the tears from my cheeks, "I know how hard this is going to be, but he has the right to know. It's probably best to tell him as soon as possible, so I'll do it with you." I bite my lip and nod, leaning into my mom's side. "Okay," I whisper. Mom nods and Arden hands her her phone, which is already ringing. I quickly run my hands down my face and take deep breaths, trying to relax myself so Ashton doesn't immediately pick up on my sadness.

Ashton answers on the second ring, a huge smiles on his face, as always. "Hey! Two of my three favorite ladies!" Ashton exclaims. I take a deep breath and glance at mom, who squeezes my hand.

"Ashton, I have to tell you something," I blurt out quickly before he starts rambling. Ashton flops down on the tour bus couch, "Okay. What's up?"

Here goes nothing.

"Ashton . . . I have cancer."

A/N - yikes that escalated quickly, geez Bailey it took you long enough to finally tell him!

What do you guys think will happen? Will Ashton be angry, upset, hurt? Tell me what you think! Xoxo - Em:)