Chapter 32

Shattered glass like the past it's a memory now, holding on to a dream while she watches these walls fall down

***

| Bailey |

The next day is the same. Ashton and mom are still at it and are hardly at the hospital, leaving me alone yet again. In my opinion, they're both being completely unreasonable. Ashton has always been the perfect poster child Arden and I have been trying to live up to, and now they can't even look at each other. I don't understand why they're so worked up over something so stupid. If it means getting my family back, I can live without seeing Melia for a few days.

I roll over in bed and hope to see Ashton or mom smiling back at me, but instead I'm greeted with pretty green eyes and a warm smile that only belongs to Xander.

"I noticed you're all alone again and Zoey agreed to let me stay," he says with a smile. Zoey gives us a smile as she checks my vitals. "If anyone asks, I haven't seen you," she says to Xander. We both nod and thank her before she leaves and we're left in silence.

"So, what're you brother and mom fighting about, anyway?" Xander inquires. He kicks his feet up on my bed and I shrug.

"Honestly, I don't really know. What I got from the conversation was that Ashton wanted to let my friend Melia come and visit so I can still be a kid but mom wouldn't let her visit. Ashton argued that his friends come to visit me all the time and mom's argument back was that everyone needs to accept my sickness," I explain. Xander nods thoughtfully. "It can't be just that, can it? There has to be something more that I missed."

Xander shrugs in response. "I dunno what their problem is, but I do know that families can be very temperamental," he sighs. I roll my eyes and agree.

"Do you think maybe it's my mom who can't accept I'm sick?" I question after another minute. Xander gives me a sad smile. "Maybe, I don't think my mom does either, but who knows." I sigh in exasperation and lay back down as I start to get dizzy. "I just wish they'd talk to me — talk to each other — so we can sort this all out," I huff. Xander nods. "Like I said, very temperamental."

We decide to just relax, as much as you can in a hospital, and go through our phones. I check Ashton's social media accounts to see if he's been active, but he hasn't. I wonder where he is and what he's doing.

I look up at the sound of footsteps, expecting to see Ashton, but instead a tall brunette smiles back at me.

"Hi Cal," I smile and set my phone down as he sits next to Xander and I introduce the two. Calum gives me a knowing look and I narrow my eyes at him, making him laugh.

"I thought I'd just come visit my favorite Irwin," he chirps. "Speaking of the Irwin's, where are the rest of them?" I roll my eyes and shrug, then let out a rattling cough. Xander explains what I told him to Cal as I continue to cough like a smoker and they both stare at me sadly.

"Well, that's a shitty thing to do," Cal states. Xander and I nod in agreement and decide to talk about something else. After awhile, both Xander and I start to feel under the weather and he returns to his own room. As soon as he's out the door, Cal turns to me with a huge grin.

"Are you guys a thing?" The brunette asks eagerly. I shake my head, "Uh, no," I state, "We're just friends." Cal narrows his eyes at me again. "Mhm, I've heard it all before. You'll end up dating sooner or later," he sings. "Yeah, if we both manage not to let this cancer kill us," I grumble under breath. Thankfully he doesn't hear. I don't mean to say things like this because I know how sensitive everyone is about it, I'm just not in the best mood today.

"Do you like him?" Calum questions further. I let out a groan, which prompts another coughing fit. "As a friend," I state, and Cal just shrugs. "Young love is so cute," he sighs dreamily and I smack him with my pillow. "We're not in love!" Calum opens his mouth to argue, but my throwing up stops him. He holds up what's left of my thin, brittle hair and rubs circles on my back. Once I'm finished and the nurses help me again, Calum gives me a warm smile. "Here," he says, taking a beanie out of his pocket. "Now that most of your hair is gone, you can utilize a new fashion source," he smiles cheekily as I allow him to place it on my head and he snaps a picture. "You look adorable," he squeals before putting it on Instagram. I smile at the picture and snuggle into bed, the beanie keeping my head nice and warm.

"Thanks, Cal," I yawn. "You made today fun." Cal smiles and moves to a chair next to my bed. "I'm glad. Sleep well, little Irwin."

• ° • ° • ° •

A/N - shorter chapter, but thoughts or predictions? Do you think Xander and Bailey have feelings for each other? What're your thoughts on Ashton and Anne still fighting? Have a wonderful night my lovelies :-)

Xoxo - Em :)