Chapter 14

Speak louder than the words before you and give them meaning no one else has found

***

| Bailey |

I wake up around one in the afternoon the following day feeling much better. I somehow made it through the entire night without throwing up, which was actually very nice. I feel much more refreshed and energized as well, probably from the fluids and vitamins.

"How're you feeling, sweetie?" Mom asks. She sits on the edge of my bed and smooths my hair back before beginning to twirl it absentmindedly. Her, Arden and Ashton all do this and I actually love when they do. It always relaxes me.

"A lot better," I smile and let out a yawn, then stretch a little bit. Dr. Phelps arrives during her rounds to check up on me and make sure everything is going well, which thankfully, everything is. I'm told that my vitals are normal and I'm fully hydrated and filled with vitamins, which is good considering I have a deadly illness multiplying inside of me.

"Well Bailey, as long as you're feeling okay I'd say you're free to go home," Dr. Phelps says with a smile. "I'll see you back here on Wednesday for your next chemo appointment."

Ew, chemo. Don't remind me.

Mom thanks her and we're left alone waiting for a nurse to bring the discharge papers.

"Oh, Ashton called earlier," mom says out of the blue. She brings her gaze from the window over to me. "Oh?" I just look down at the bland, white hospital blanket, unsure of how to react. Is it a good thing he's finally talking to us – well, her – again? Is he still angry? Did he say anything about me?

"He wanted to talk to you, but you were asleep, so I told him you'd call when you were feeling better," she says with a small smile. I return a small smile as well. This is good, right? Does it mean he wants to try to talk things out, or is he going to yell at me again?

"Should I call him now?" I question. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to talk to him, because I've actually really missed it.

Mom shrugs, "If you're up for it."

Yes, I am most definitely up for it.

I grab my phone off the bedside table – thankfully it isn't dead – and pull up Ashton's contact. I noticed upon unlocking it there was a missed FaceTime notification from him and I feel bad, but hey, I was sick. I decide against FaceTime because I probably look like death warmed over, so I press the call button and my anxiety starts to kick in. What if he's still angry at me? I don't have much time to think this over, because Ashton answers on the first ring.

"Bailey Bear!"

Okay, Michael answered on the first ring.

"Hi Mikey," I giggle.

"Ash told us you were in the hospital. Are you okay? What happened?" Michael gets right down to the questions. He's almost as overprotective as Ashton is.

"I just got dehydrated from throwing up so much. I guess having chemo makes it more of a serious thing," I shrug.

"Well yeah, chemo tends to do that to you. It's designed to make your body attack itself, I bet that's really fun," Michael sighs.

"Since when are you a biology expert? I thought you dropped out," I laugh.

Michael gasps and pretends to be offended, "Just because I dropped out doesn't mean I'm not smart! How rude!"

I laugh harder, adjusting my legs so I'm sitting criss cross on the hospital bed, "Well you've never displayed your wide variety of knowledge before, so how would I know?" I tease. Michael laughs along until it's awkwardly quiet. I can't even hear any background noise, which is weird. Those boys are rarely ever quiet.

"So, how have you been doing? Aside from the hospital trip, I mean," Michael chuckles nervously.

"Good. I mean, chemo sucks, but the only side affect so far has been throwing up, so it's kind of just like having a never ending stomach bug," I explain.

Michael sighs, "That still sucks. I'm really sorry —" He's interrupted by a thud and then commotion on the other line.

"Is that Bailey?" I can clearly distinguish Ashton's hushed voice. I hear more whisper yelling before another loud thud.

"Bailey?" It's Ashton again, and I start chewing on my lip. I really hope he's not angry at me anymore.

"Hi," I say quietly, picking at my chipped nail polish.

"Hey. Look, I just wanted to apologize for everything. I feel terrible for saying what I said. I was just so upset, because we used to tell each other everything," Ashton rushes out. A hint of sadness and guilt are hidden in his anxious voice.

Used to?

"I know, I'm sorry too. I've been wanting to tell you. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, because I knew how upset you'd be and I didn't want to see you so sad. I put it off at first and then before I knew it, it had already been two months," I explain with a sad sigh.

"Okay. So you forgive me?" Ashton asks hopefully. I smile, "Yes. And you forgive me, too?" I can almost hear the smile in his voice when he responds, "Of course."

I lay down on the bed and smile at the ceiling, very relieved. "And I still tell you everything," I add. "Good," Ashton says happily, "I'm glad."

"And from now on, I'll tell you everything that's happening with the cancer, too."

"Okay," he replies, sounding a bit more sad this time.

"So, how's chemo?" He asks after a minute of silence.

"Stupid," I grumble. "It makes me feel nauseous and dizzy and pretty much all I do these days is eat, sleep and throw up," I sigh. "Oh, but I made a friend. He has chemo on the same day as me, so that makes it at least a little enjoyable," I say with a smile.

"Wait, he?" Ashton questions. I laugh, being able to picture his disapproving expression, "Yes, his name is Xander, and don't worry, he's very nice," I assure. "Mhm," Ashton gives an unconvinced hum. "Hey, he's sick, too, it's not like he's gonna try anything!" I say in my defense. "He better freaking not!" Ashton shouts into the phone before laughing, "Please don't ever bring that up again." I giggle, "No promises."

We continue to catch up on the things we missed in each other's lives. Ashton tells me about the tour and I talk about what very little I've done the last few months, but it's still enjoyable. I've never felt better talking to my brother, and it's nice to be able to do so without feeling guilty. I like that the peace is back. I've missed this.

• ° • ° • ° •

A/N - hi guys! I had my playoff game today, and we won!!! We're playing the number one team in our league on Wednesday, just thought I'd share :-D

I thought this chapter was cute, I live for Ashton-Bailey moments:)

Also, thoughts?

Predictions?

I hope you all have a fabulous day/night/morning/whatever, ily tons! Xoxo - Em:)