Chapter 22

And I can't take one more moment of this silence, the loneliness is haunting me, and the weight of the world's getting harder to hold up.

***

| Bailey |

The rain has become one of my favorite things. I used to associate it with bad days and gloom and nothing but sadness, but lately there's just something refreshing about it. I love the way everything looks when the storm passes and the sun comes back out. I love the way the dark clouds drift away and rain droplets shimmer in the sun. It's even better when the sun comes out while its raining, like today.

I sit on the porch swing as I watch the rain gently fall. The sun peeks out from behind a dark cloud and makes everything look surreal. It almost feels magical.

"Bailey, come on, it's time to go," mom says as she hands me a jacket. I nod and pull it on and slip my phone in my pocket as I follow her to the car.

The drive to the hospital is always short, because my thoughts take over and distract me. Before I know it we're parked in the hospital parking lot and walking inside. I walk slowly, admiring the way the rain sparkles in the sunlight and trying to ignore the way my bones have begun to ache. I snap a picture before getting ushered in by mom, worrying the rain will make me sicker.

Once everything is settled, I'm sitting on the familiar green chair next to Xander as we receive our chemo. Dr. Phelps wasn't very happy at how little I've been eating and is also concerned about my now hurting body. She suggested protein shakes to help. I kind of just tuned her out while she talked about how important it is that I eat enough stay stay strong enough for chemo.

"I didn't see Ash or Arden when we left," I turn to mom as she looks up from her magazine. "Arden went to see Tom and I don't know where Ashton's gone off to," she sighs and goes back to reading.

"Uh oh, trouble in brotherville?" Xander speaks up with a smirk. "Brotherville?" I question with a giggle. He shrugs and laughs along. "You and Ashton get in another fight?" He questions. My laughter quiets and I nod. It feels like ages ago.

"I don't really remember when, and I don't know if it was exactly a fight, he just got upset because I wasn't eating. It hasn't been the first time, though," I sigh. Xander frowns, "Yeah, families get like that sometimes, it's called love," he responds with a smirk. I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Don't get me wrong, that doesn't give him the right to yell at you, but he cares. At least you have people who care about you." Xander stares at his lap and I quickly take my hand and rest it on his arm. He flicks his eyes up and gives me a grateful smile.

"Your parents have to care," I whisper, "Families are like that," I add with a smile, copying his words. He shakes his head and tries to suppress a smile. "I mean, my dad does. He cares a lot, like, he cried when I was diagnosed. He never cries." I nod. His family seems very strict and uptight. "What about your mom?" I ask tentatively. I remember the woman with the sleek business outfit and professional aura. Xander pauses. "I dunno. I'm sure she does, cause she's my mom and all, but she doesn't show it much. She's always working, claiming she has to work overtime to pay for all my medical bills," he sighs. "I know that's not true though. As horrible as it sounds, we have piles of money saved for emergencies like this. There's no need to work the hours as long as she does." There's a moment of silence before the attention is turned back onto me. "So I know your mom and siblings care, what about your dad?" He questions. I look down at my hands. "Don't know. Probably not, since he left when I was only two." The words came out more broken than I meant for them to. But after hearing about how much Xander's dad cares, it makes me wonder about my own. Why'd he even leave?

"Oh... Sorry," Xander says awkwardly. "If it makes you feel any better, you're probably better off without him. If he left because he couldn't handle a family as amazing as yours, it's his loss." I smile at his words and thank him. Mom glances up at me with a smile as well.

"So, about your brother," Xander begins after we sit in silence for a while. I giggle at his stupid smirk. "I don't know what's up with him lately. He's been really . . ." I pause, searching for the right word, "Irritated, I guess? He's been getting angry and losing his temper at the drop of a pin, and he got in a fight the other day," I say. Xander raises an eyebrow out of interest, "Oohh," he says, making me laugh. "We haven't talked since then, so that's all I know. It's enough to know that he's not himself, though," I finish. Xander shrugs. "He's probably just coping. Maybe try talking to him or one of his friends, I dunno," Xander sighs. "Families can be a lotta work sometimes," he says with a chuckle. I give off a small smile, "You're telling me."

A/N - uh ohhhh, Ashton wyd? I like writing about Bailey and Xander;) thoughts, predictions? Let me know! Xoxo - Em:)