Chapter 23

She's the scar, she's the bruises she's the pain that you brought

***

| Bailey |

I lay awake in bed, listening to the muffled voices downstairs as the front door opens and closes. My muscles ache again, as I've started to get used to the feeling. I'm debating whether I should go downstairs and ask for medicine or wait out their imminent fight.

"Where on earth have you been?" Mom asks worriedly. "Out," I recognize the voice as Ashton's. It's flat and emotionless.

"What's going on with you, lately? You're never here, and when you come back you're like this?" Mom's voice is slowly getting louder.

"I'm almost 22 years old, I don't have to tell you where I am every second of the day," Ashton scoffs.

"Ashton, don't talk to me that," mom says sternly. The yelling gets louder and I think I hear my name, but I tune it out as my vision is blurred with tears. I jump at the sound of Ashton's door slamming shut and then hear my mother's quiet cries as she encloses herself in her bedroom.

What is happening to our family?

***

I wake up the next morning and Ashton is gone, as usual. Something is wrong. I need to get to the bottom of this. The first person that pops into my head is Mikey, so I decide to text him.

To: Mikey - Hey r u up?

From: Mikey - ya what's up lil Irwin?

To: Mikey - can I FaceTime you?

From: Mikey - yeah is everything okay??

Instead of answering his text, I just pull his contact up on FaceTime and press call. He answers on the first ring; he's still in bed like I am, but it's nothing new for Mikey.

"Hey, you okay?" He asks. I nod, then shrug. "I'm okay, but something's wrong with Ashton," I say, laying down on my stomach. Michael's face hardens slightly before relaxing and trying to hide a hint of anger in his eyes. Is something going on between them?

"Wait, what happened to your eye?" I question, noticing the bruise on his face. Michael's hand flies to his injury before he shrugs.

"Are you and Ashton okay?" I ask after explaining the fight I heard between my brother and mom last night. Michael shrugs and scratches the back of his neck. "You should talk to Ashton," he says awkwardly. I sigh, "That's the point! He won't talk to me!" Michael just sighs, "I have to go," he mumbles before hanging up. I bury my face in my pillow and let out a muffled scream before an idea pops into my head.

A little while later, I text both Ashton and Michael separately.

To: Michael - Michsel I dknt feel good and noones home pls clme

I make sure to make some typos to make it look like I'm really in an emergency, then do the same to Ashton.

To: Ash xx - ashton I don't feel good and mkms not here can u come home pls

I skip downstairs and lay on the couch, and within a matter of minutes Michael comes bursting through the front door.

"Bailey?!" He calls as he runs upstairs. I can hear him opening and closing all the doors upstairs, making me giggle. Just as I'm about to call him back down, the garage door opens and Ashton rushes in. He stops dead in his tracks when he sees me laying on the couch and I grin at him. Michael comes flying down a moment later, flustered and out of breath. The two glance at each other wearily before turning to yell at me.

"You're not hurt or sick?!" Ashton asks. I shake my head.

"What the hell!" Michael exclaims.

"Please, sit," I gesture to the couch across from me and when neither boy moves, I roll my eyes and stand up, gently pushing them both onto the couch.

"Now, I have called you both here to get to the bottom of what the hell is going on," I say, sitting on the coffee table and folding my legs criss cross.

"Ashton hasn't said a word to me since he came storming back with a cut on his cheek and you two have been acting weird around each other, not to mention Ashton and my mom are always arguing. So, what the hell is going on?" I question.

There's a long silence until Ashton finally speaks up. "I'm not proud of what I did, okay?" He turns to Michael. "I just got so angry, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'm sorry." Michael forgives him and then they explain what happened while I listen with wide eyes.

"Ashton, why didn't you just tell me how you felt?" I ask. Ashton shrugs, "I didn't want to make you feel worse. But I just feel so helpless," he sighs. I move on the couch and rest my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," I whisper.

All of this is my fault.

Ashton shakes his head, "No, it's not your fault you can't eat. I'm sorry I reacted the way I did, I shouldn't have." I nod and feel my eyes starting to droop. "So everything's okay now?" I ask sleepily. Ashton chuckles, "Yes, now get some sleep, you little sneak." I giggle at his words as Ashton carries me back upstairs. "Oh, and if you ever do anything like that again, it won't end well," he warns. I nod, already half asleep as he leaves the room. "I love you guys," I whisper. Ashton and Michael respond, "We love you, too."

A/N - Bailey you're such a little sneak wow like way to give the boys a heart attack.

All is well... Or is it??

Let me know your thoughts and predictions. I love you! Xoxo - Em:)