Chapter 11

Sharp words like knives they were cutting her down, shattered glass, like the past, it's a memory now

***

| Bailey |

I don't think there's anything you can do to get me to forgive you.

Ashton deserves better.

Sleep has been hard to find lately, with these thoughts stuck in my head. I'm almost positive they didn't mean them. Almost. Which explains the doubt lingering at the back of my head that surfaces and takes control when I try to sleep. I'm hoping Ashton and Luke aren't still angry at me. They haven't said anything else to me, but I'm not really sure if that's good or bad. I'm starting to lean towards bad, since I tried calling Ashton yesterday and his phone went straight to voicemail. I know he's ignoring me because he's still on Twitter and Instagram, constantly. Is he really still that angry with me? He can't even answer the phone and try to talk it out?

"Am I overthinking this?" I turn to Melia in the car, who's watching me with a mixed expression of entertainment and worry.

"Yes," she states, placing her hands on my shoulders. "Just relax. If Ashton wants to be a jerk, then let him be a jerk," she shrugs. I roll my eyes, "Why are brothers so difficult?" Melia giggles, "Because they're boys. They make everything complicated." I narrow my eyes, "No. I'm pretty sure that's girls." We both laugh and Melia agrees.

"Just don't stress about it, Bai. It's not your fault he's being overdramatic," mom assures. "So first you tell me that he has a right to be upset, and now he's being overdramatic?" I question, my voice clearly indicating I'm confused.

"He is allowed to be upset, but he's taking this to the extremes," mom says as she looks at me in the rear view mirror. "He's just adding fuel to the fire at this point." I nod and go back to looking out the window. I have to admit, he was pretty mean when he first found out. Just because he has the right to be angry doesn't mean he gets to scream at me and make me feel even worse than chemo is already making me feel.

"Am I being selfish?" I question, getting annoyed with my self-conscious thoughts.

"No, darling. You have every right to feel the way you do. Ashton shouldn't have said what he said, but it was just in the heat of the moment. I'm sure that this will pass, all yours fights always do."

As we pull into the hospital parking lot I let out a groan. I hate coming here, I hate having my body pumped with poison, I hate the atmosphere of the oncology floor, I hate it all.

Mom walks on my left, Melia on my right. Once she signs me in and Melia and I are settled in the Chemo Room after my usual physical, she kisses my forehead.

"Are you sure you'll be alright by yourself? I just need to run to the store while you're here, I'll back in a blink," she assures. I nod my head and giggle, "Yes, mom, I'll be fine. Bye, love you." She nods and smooths back my hair before leaving, looking over her shoulder several times before she finally leaves.

"So, you just sit here for two hours?" Melia questions. She decided to be a rebel today skip school to come with me. She's a pretty great friend.

"Yup," I nod, leaning back in my chair.

"Join the club," a familiar voice rings out and I turn my head.

"Hey Xander," I say with a smile. He plops down on the ugly green chair and leans back with his hands behind his head and a fake enthusiastic grin plastered on his face.

"Ah, I live for this," he says sarcastically. Well, someone's in a mood today.

"Xander, please," a stern voice scolds him and I look up to see the woman I remember him calling mom from last week. Xander scoffs and rolls his eyes, "Well, it's not like I'd be alive without this," he mumbles sarcastically. Melia and I giggle, but stop abruptly upon receiving a glare from Xander's mother.

"Where's your mother, dear?" She asks, turning her attention to me.

"Uh, she had to run a few errands," I say quietly, subconsciously picking at my already short nails. Xander's mom hums, "See, she's a big girl as well, she doesn't need her mother here with her," she says accusingly. Xander sighs and smacks his head on the back of the chair. "She's here every other week, God forbid you actually care about your son," Xander mutters. His mother shakes her head and scoffs, "God forbid I leave you alone for two hours so I can do my job and provide for my sick son!" She huffs and stomps off, her petite frame swaying and heels clicking.

"Sorry about that," Xander mumbles, playing with his IV needle. "She's very high maintenance." I send him a sympathetic smile. "It's okay. I take it you two don't really get along?" I question in what I'm hoping is the most polite possible way.

Xander scoffs and laughs thickly, "That's the understatement of the century. She's been holding me to her impossibly high standards since the day I was born, hell, probably even in the womb!" He throws his hands up and drops them at his sides again in frustration. "She denies it to the tenth degree when I bring it up, but I still think that my illness," he rolls his eyes and makes air quotes around the word 'illness', "holds her back from advancing in her career."

I frown, "I'm sorry," I say, not really sure what else to say. He shrugs and turns his attention to Melia, "This your friend?" He asks to change the subject. I nod with a smile and introduce them.

"Why didn't you tell me you made a friend!" Melia scolds, smacking my arm. I hit her back and roll my eyes.

"Wow, I'm not important enough for friendly gossip?" Xander asks, faking hurt. I giggle and shake my head.

"What is it with you and your impossibly high standard?" I ask, mimicking him. He narrows his eyes and me, "Ha ha, how funny." I shrug, "It's not my fault I'm dying of an incurable illness," I say simply. Xander shakes his head, a smirk playing on his lips. "I happen to have the incurable illness, too, lay off." I laugh harder, making my chest ache slightly, "Well, then lower your standards. I happen to be very busy these days," I tease. Xander nods, "Sure."

Melia glances between the two of us, "And from a healthy friend to a sickly one, you'd better cut whatever kind of flirting this is out before I join you puking in the bathroom."

We all laugh until we're out of breath, which doesn't take long for Xander and I.

"She's a real catch," Xander jokes. Melia flips her hair and grins, "She's very lucky to have me, I know." I giggle as I look at who I consider my two best friends, and life doesn't seem as bad anymore.

A/N - lol sappy ending I'm sorry (not really) so what do you guys think of Xander and Bailey and Melia? Do you think Ashton's still upset with Bailey? Tell me your predictions! Xoxo - Em:)