Chapter 25

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said, "I'll never let you go," when all those shadows almost killed your light.

***

| Ashton |

After going to the bookstore Bailey was completely exhausted. She could barely make it out to the car and running into the paparazzi outside isn't helping. I feel her tense next to me and I immediately stiffen and grab her hand. She squeezes tightly and I pull her close to me as she ducks her head to avoid the screaming people and flashing lights. "It's okay," I whisper. Slowly, I make my way through the crowd and hear Bailey whimpering. I move my free hand to cover her head as I power through the crowd, accidentally pushing a few people until we finally reach the car. I quickly help my sister inside before getting into the driver's seat and I watch sadly as she leans her head against the window panting. I gently rub her shoulder. "I'm sorry," I whisper. She just shrugs and closes her eyes, "S'okay," she mumbles sleepily.

Bailey ends up falling asleep on the way home. As I carry her upstairs and tuck her in I smile down at her sleeping figure. I really enjoyed going out with her today. We actually had some fun, and for once it didn't feel like she was suffering through a horrible and incurable disease and there wasn't a possibility of her dying. I want to take her pain away so badly, but I can't. I'm just glad she got to have some fun today, like a normal girl her age.

I go back downstairs and nearly jump at the sigh of Michael, Luke and Calum sitting on my couch. When did they get here?

"Hey mate," Cal grins at me as I sit down beside him. "Hi?" I question. "When did you all get here?" Luke shrugs as he watches Michael play a video game, "Not long." I roll my eyes as we fall into a quiet conversation. "Well make yourself at home," I chuckle.

"So, how's Bailey doing?" Cal asks as he watches Michael play some call of duty game. "I saw you guys ran into the paps." I roll my eyes; it's such an invasion of privacy, especially for someone like Bailey.

"She's doing okay. She's still pretty weak, though. We went to the bookstore for not even three hours and she was already exhausted," I explain. "Running into the paps didn't help," I add with a grumble. Luke nods sadly, "Yeah, that sucks. Chemo must be so hard on her." I shake my head, "I just can't imagine what she must go through . . ." I trail off, not wanting to think about it anymore.

Michael breaks the silence once his game is finished, "How are you holding up?" He questions, putting the controller away and turning off the console. I give him a puzzled look; I really don't want to talk about this right now. "Me? I'm fine," I shrug nonchalantly. Michael gives me a knowing look, "You're not fine, Ash. I know you want to be, but it can't be easy watching your baby sister go through something like that," he says gently.

It isn't. Its heart-wrenching.

I shrug. "I just hate it," I whisper quietly. "It isn't fair. She doesn't deserve this." Luke frowns, "Nobody does." I run a hand through my messy hair. "She's only fifteen, and already she can name off the plethora of prescriptions she has to take, understand how chemo and radiation work, has become accustomed to getting poked and prodded with needles and tested daily. She shouldn't have to go through all that, she shouldn't have to be worrying about dying." My voice is shaky as Cal gently places his hand on my shoulder. "I know. It isn't fair. Life rarely ever is."

I just shake my head. "So, what brings you guys over here?" I question. Luke glances between me and Michael. "We came to talk about you and Mike. Are you guys good?" He asks. Michael and I send each other small smiles and nod.

"Yup, thanks to Bailey," Michael chirps. I shake my head again, "She could have found a better way to get us both over here, I nearly had a heart attack!" Michael raises his eyebrows, "Yeah, you and me both."

Luke and Cal just stare at us with puzzled expressions while Mikey and I giggle at how clueless they are.

"I may or may not have texted them both to come over because there was an emergency," a sheepish voice says. We all turn our attention to where Bailey is standing in the entry of the living room with sleepy eyes. She pulls her hair into a bun as she plops down next me and I gently shove her shoulder, causing her to wince. I quickly apologize and watch her carefully as Michael speaks up.

"By emergency, she texted me, 'Mikey I don't feel good and no one's here please come,'" Michael says, shooting a playful glare at Bailey. She gives a shy smile, "Hey, it's not my fault you guys were acting weird, Mr. 'you should talk to Ashton, not me.'" She defends. Michael rolls his eyes and puts his hands up in surrender, "Okay, okay, truce." Bailey giggles and agrees before grabbing her stomach.

"What's wrong?" I ask. She winces and rubs her side. "I came down to tell you my side hurts," she whines and leans her head on my shoulder. "And my entire body aches," she mumbles.

The other boys "aw" and Luke volunteers to get her some medicine. I stretch my feet out on the coffee table and let Bailey put her head in my lap after she takes the medicine Luke brings for her. She gulps it down then lets her eyes slowly droop closed. I trace random shapes and patterns onto her back and play with her hair. "Go to sleep, little sis," I whisper as I hum a soothing tune. Her even breathing soon signifies that she's sound asleep, so we go back to talking quietly.

Oh, what I'd give to take her pain away.

A/N - yay a cute chapter! Aw I love Ashton and Bailey okay brother sister goals to the max:) what do you guys think? Just wait for upcoming chapters hehehe;) let me know your thoughts and predictions please! Xoxo - Em:)