Chapter 39

Sometimes tears say all there is to say. Sometimes your first scars won't ever fade away

***

| Third Person |

Ashton finds himself spending the day at Calum's house with the rest of the boys. The brunette invited everyone over to have a little song writing session, although Ashton's mind is anywhere but where he currently is. Part of him wishes that he could have gone with his mother and sister to the hospital, to hear the hopefully good news in person with them.

But what if it isn't good news? What if something else has gone wrong?

Ashton tries desperately to shake these thoughts away, but they remain planted in his head. He can't help but wonder, even though he shouldn't be thinking about the if's.

"Ash, just try to relax," Cal speaks softly, causing his friend to jump at the sound of his voice.

"We just have to pray that she'll be alright," Luke adds, offering a small smile.

These boys know each other inside and out, having met long ago as children. It's obvious to tell Ashton's mind is elsewhere today, and he's completely understandable. The boys only wish they could do something to help take Ash's mind off of the troubling thoughts in his head, or even to take away the pain both he and Bailey are experiencing.

This isn't the first time they've been thinking like this. They all have seen Bailey suffer, and they see the toll it takes on her family members as well. All three boys wish more than anything else that they could make this go away, but the best they can do is provide support and comfort when needed. And right now, Ashton needs a lot of it. Little does he know that once the boys manage to get him into a semi happy mood, it will be crushed upon returning home.

***

The day drags by in a slow blur. Bailey stays in her bed, ignoring all the texts and calls she's getting and just stares blankly out the window. She still doesn't know how she's supposed to tell Ashton that she's basically dying. She doesn't know if this treatment will work, she doesn't know how long she has. She doesn't know anything anymore. Maybe she never really did.

They tell you that chemo is supposed to help you. They tell you that it'll have to get worse before it gets better, oh did it ever get worse. But then, it got even more worse. Despite all attempts, the chemo didn't work. The cancer has spread, and now she could very possibly die even sooner than before.

Bailey's mother has been coming and going from her youngest daughter's room, trying to get her to talk, eat, do anything, really. She only has the rest of today and then tomorrow before she goes back to the hospital, and she has no idea how long she'll be there for. She could quite possibly spend the rest of her life there. How long that will be, Bailey has no idea.

"I'm home!" Ashton's cheery voice makes her jump slightly, and her body is already being thrown into a spiral. She can't tell him this, she can't do it!

"Bailey," her mom says softly. She turns her head and look at her for the first time today and bites her lip, hard. Her mother extends her hand, and you can tell by the look on her face that the two are about to tell Ashton the news. Bailey takes in a shaky breath and bites her lip again as she feels her body start to shake.