Chapter 19

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down you'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

***

| Ashton |

Mom texted me a little while ago and said she was bringing Bailey over to Luke's with her since Liz invited them. We're having a sort of game night; basically a get together with all our families so we can catch up since we haven't all been together like this in a really long time. I'm excited to reunite with everyone, I just hope Bailey is feeling up to it.

A knock on the door breaks me out of my thoughts as Liz goes to answer it. "Oh my, Anne, it's been so long!" At the mention of my mother's name I jump up to greet her and Bailey as Liz begins addressing the cast I notice is on Bailey's left arm.

"I've literally been gone all of three hours, what happened?!" I exclaim, partly joking but mostly seriously concerned.

Bailey huffs and rolls her eyes. "I was trying to get to the bathroom to throw up and the dizziness made me loose my balance and fall," she explains, extending her casted arm to the best of her ability. It's also in a sling, though I'm told she'll only have to wear the sling for a few days. It's just a precaution since chemo has weakened her body so much; that's the reason her arm broke so easily. I feel terrible. Chemo is slowly taking over and destroying her body and she's getting weaker everyday.

Liz just stares sadly, not really saying much else about it. Her and the other moms found out about Bailey's cancer shortly after we did, but none of them have really addressed it. I'm not exactly sure if it's because they just don't want to bring it up for her sake or if they're too upset about it themselves. It's probably both.

I shrug the thoughts away as Liz leads us all into the living room and everyone greets each other before falling into little clusters and breaking into our own conversations. While most of the parents (and also Ben and Jack) retreat to the kitchen for some wine, the boys, Mali, Bailey and I stay in the living room to talk.

"Aw, Bailey what'd you do to your arm?" Mali asks as she sticks her lower lip out in a pout. Bailey blushes and ducks her head before explaining what happened again to everyone else.

"Are you okay? Does it hurt?" I question wearily. Bailey shakes her head, "Not anymore. They had to set it though," she says. I wince; I broke my ankle when I was younger and they had to set it and it wasn't fun. Bailey must notice my expression because she adds, "Don't worry, I'm fine now."

After that, we go back into conversation about random things. Michael challenges Calum to a Mario Kart tournament, which he looses. Michael wants to play Bailey, but because her pale blue cast goes up past her elbow and the sling prevents much other movement, she sadly declines.

"Don't worry. I'll play for you," I chirp, even though I'm terrible at video games. Bailey tries to hold back a giggle. "Might as well not even try," she whispers with a smirk on her face. I gasp and start pouting while everyone laughs.

"She has a point," Michael confesses between giggles, "but let's play just so I can beat your ass."

"Hey! Child in the room!" I scold Michael, making Bailey narrow her eyes and fall back against the couch in frustration.

"I'm not a child!" She whines. Michael and Calum exchange affectionate glances before "awing" as she attempts to fold her arms across her chest. It doesn't work very well with one casted.

After a while of talking and goofing around I notice that Bailey is starting to get quieter and less extroverted. Her eyes are drooping as she leans against me. I drape my arm around her shoulder, careful of her casted arm, and she snuggles up closer to me.

"Tired?" Luke asks from across the room as he smiles at us fondly. I hear the click of a camera and see mom smiling down at us. Luke also snaps a picture and I roll my eyes. A few minutes later, Bailey's even breathing signifies she's sound asleep. I grab my phone at the sound of it vibrating and see both Luke and my mom have posted the pictures they took; Luke on Twitter and Instagram and mom on Instagram as well.

@/Luke5SOS: *photo* brother sister goals :') @/Ashton5SOS
@/Bailey5SOS

@/annmairwin: *photo* brother sister love❤️ @/AshtonIrwin
@/BaileyIrwin

I smile and retweet Luke's tweet; Michael and Calum do also and leave cute comments. I also save the picture and post it on Instagram with the caption, "Cuddles:) glad to be back home xx"

After a few more minutes of talking, we decide to head home. It isn't that late, but Bailey seems exhausted. I gently slide my arm under her knees and use the other to support her back. Once I'm standing stably with my sister balanced in my arms I say goodbye to everyone and thank Liz for letting us come over. She stares down sadly at Bailey before wishing us luck and we're on our way. Bailey nestles herself closer to my chest as I carefully walk to the car and slide into the back seat with her. Mom gets in the driver's seat and in a few short minutes we're home. Bailey stirs in my arms as mom holds the door open for us and I carry her up the stairs.

"Hey, did you have fun tonight?" I whisper as I pull back her covers and let her slide into the bed. "Mhm," she nods sleepily and flashes a tired smile. "Good, I'm glad." I tuck her in before turning to leave. "Goodnight Ash," she whispers. I smile as I lean against the doorframe and admire my half-sleeping sister. "Goodnight, Bailey."

A/N - kinda slow/filler chapter, but I hope you liked it! Thoughts? Predictions? Let me know what you think! Xoxo - Em:)