Chapter 24

I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live

***

| Bailey |

Ashton comes into my room with a smile on his face. "Hey, how ya feeling?" He asks as he lays down obnoxiously across my bed, fanning out like a starfish. I set the book I'm reading down and roll my eyes at him. "You're stupid." He pouts as he rolls on top me. "Get off you weirdo," I giggle and swat at him with my book until he rolls off the bed and lands on the floor with a thud.

"Rude," he mumbles as he gets up and sits normally on my bed, "But how do you feel?" He questions again. I shrug, "Good, I guess." He grins cheekily, "Great! Then let's go on an adventure!" I look at him wearily. I'd love to go on some crazy adventure with him, but my body is getting weaker and weaker. Even if I don't feel like throwing up, I'm always tired and spend most of my time in bed, on the couch or on the porch swing. My body just can't take much else, which sucks.

Ashton seems to notice my long face. "Don't worry, we're going to your favorite place," he pauses dramatically, "the bookstore!" A smile makes its way onto my face as I recall the many times Ashton used to take me there when we were younger. He loved books when he was in school and whenever he went to buy a new one, I begged to come along. There's just something fascinating about being in a book store, I love the environment and everything.

My small smile turns into a grin as I eagerly hop out of bed and search for something to wear when my balance suddenly falters from dizziness.

"Whoa, be careful," Ashton cautions as he grabs my arm and steadies me. I give him a sheepish smile and continue searching for something nice to wear, making sure not to move as fast this time.

I decide to wear light wash jeans, a sweater and a jean vest with hoodie sleeves. (a/n - idk what they're called if you know what I'm talking about hehe so bear with me) I slip on a pair of sandals and brush through my frizzy hair. It's naturally curly like Ashton's is, just not as wild and extreme, but chemo is completely destroying it. I frown as a few chunks come out in my hair brush. But thankfully it isn't noticeable . . . yet.

Once I'm ready, I brush my teeth and meet Ashton at the front door where he's waiting and swinging his keychain around his finger.

"Ready?" He asks as I slowly make my way down the stairs. I nod and follow him out to the car, where he blasts Greenday and taps his fingers along to the beat on the steering wheel. Typical.

"So, school's almost out, yeah?" Ashton questions as we drive. I nod and look out the window. "Yeah."

Thankfully, I've been doing online school since I was diagnosed so I'm not behind. In fact, since I'm already in advanced classes and I can do them online whenever I want, I'm actually a little bit ahead. At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to finish my freshman year in the beginning of May rather than at the end of June. My finals also won't be as extreme since I'll only be getting worse.

"That's good. How're Melia and Katie doing?" I shrug, "I actually haven't talked to them in a while," I admit. I just haven't had the energy. "I'm sure they're good, though. Last I heard Katie got asked to a school dance." Ashton sighs dramatically, "Ah, I remember those days," he says dreamily. I roll my eyes again, "Weirdo."

We fall into a peaceful silence for the rest of the ride there. It isn't much longer and before I know it we're already parked and getting out of the car.

"I can't believe you're already fifteen," Ashton sighs as we enter the store, "It feels like just yesterday you were five and I was bringing you here for the first time to try and teach you how to read." I giggle as the delicious aroma of coffee hits us as we walk inside and I immediately feel at peace. I'd live here if I could.

"What are you talking about? I'm gifted, I've been reading since I was three," I tease. Ashton rolls his eyes, "You're not that smart," he scoffs, making me laugh harder. "Besides, I'm the one who got you into reading at such a young age. You're welcome," he sasses back smugly. I shake my head with a giggle as we walk down the many aisles filled with books.

"I've missed this," Ashton sighs. "It sucks that I'm missing you grow up."

I know he's referring to my fifteenth birthday that he missed in March because he was on the road. It was a little sad without him, but he still FaceTimed. Things were good back then, and it wasn't even that long ago. It's funny how fast some things can change. It's like all of a sudden you blink and everything is different.

"But you're here now," I point out. "Don't wish your life away or live in the past, live in the moment. Enjoy everything, because before you know it it'll he a memory," I say and Ashton stares at me with a knowing expression. "Okay, little miss philosopher. Thank you for the enlightenment." I giggle, "Anytime."

After a little while I start to get tired. I really don't want to leave, so I try to hang on a little longer. Ashton seems to notice me dragging and throws an arm over my shoulder. "Tired bug?" He whispers. I nod into his shoulder and let out a huff. "It's okay, let's go," he says. I just follow him silently out of the store, only to be met by a huge crowd and tons of flashing lights.

A/N - yay a fluffy chapter! Don't fret my lovelies, I have other things planned . . . Hehehe:))) I hope you all have a wonderful day! Xoxo - Em:)