Chapter 33

Don't you dare look out your window darling everything's on fire. The war outside our door keeps raging on

***

| Bailey |

I can tell how irritated Calum is getting with Ashton and our mother. He and Xander have been keeping me company since something is still off between my two family members, and Cal seems to have just about had it. I have, too, but they're never around long enough for me to tell them.

I can hear them bickering from the end of the hall as they make their way to my room. I should be excited they're finally coming to visit, but with receiving chemo yesterday combined with my annoyance of the two when they're together, I really wish they'd just leave until they straighten everything out.

"Hi baby," mom says with a smile as she kisses me. Ashton smiles at Calum and remains silent as he sits next to his friend. I just smile back and lay back down, already feeling tired. I'm definitely not up for dealing with them today.

"I called Melia, Bai," Ashton speaks up. "She says she misses you and I told her you'd like her to visit, so she's coming by later today," Ashton says with a fake smile. His voice is full of spite and I can almost feel our mother fuming at him.

"Ashton," she seethes through clenched teeth, "I'd like a word outside, please."

Ashton waves her off, "That's okay, I'd rather stay here with my sister." He gives another fake smile as I glance between the two and then to Calum, who looks completely clueless.

"Ashton Fletcher Irwin," my mother snaps in a warning tone.

"Stop!" I finally snap and sit up, trying to ignore the dizziness and pounding in my head. "You two have been fighting like a married couple on the verge of divorce for a week, and I'm tired of it! I hate to sound selfish and conceited, but I'm the one who has cancer, and I'd be very appreciative if you'd be supportive and loving instead of arguing over whether or not my friend is allowed to visit!" I pant heavily as my cough returns and Ashton eyes me sadly. "If you're going to keep arguing, just get out and come back when you can act your age. Calum's been doing a better job taking care me lately anyway," I grumble as I lay back down.

Suddenly, mom breaks down into tears and cries into her hands. She moves over to my bed and holds me tightly to her chest. I can feel her shaking as she rocks back and forth, holding me as if her life depends on it.

"I'm so sorry," she sobs. "I just can't loose you." I gently pull away and readjust Calum's beanie on my head. "Mom, you won't. I'm a fighter, and it'll all be okay," I whisper softly. She just nods and pulls me back into her. A minute later I feel Ashton's strong arms around us too, so I let them hold me.

"I'm sorry too, mom," he whispers. "And I'm sorry for the way we've been acting, Bailey. I love you guys." We both echo Ashton's last words back to him and remain in a group hug for a few more minutes until Calum joins.

"The Irwin family, back together at last," Calum sighs happily.

***

"Alright Miss Bailey, I think you're all set," Dr. Phelps says as she finishes my physical.

"I can really go home?" I ask excitedly.

She nods. "I don't see why you can't. Chemo will obviously continue to weaken your body, but you're healthy enough as of now to continue treatment at home. We'll just take it step by step," she says with a smile.

After she leaves, mom and Ashton throw their arms around me and we hug tightly again. Our reunion was cut short by Dr. Phelps coming in, but I'm glad that I'll be able to go home. I've missed being home.

"Alright, let me go get your discharge papers!" Mom sings excitedly. I sit on the edge of my bed, now dressed in a hoodie and leggings with Calum's beanie on my head. Just as she leaves, a familiar bald head pokes into my room.

"Hey!" He sings. "I hear you get to go home today," he says as he plops down next to me. I smile widely and nod. "So, did you sort things out with your family?" He questions. I nod again. "Thankfully, yes. Hopefully we won't have another incident like that again," I finish with raised eyebrows. That ordeal is definitely not something I'd like a repeat of.

Suddenly, Xander's phone slides from his lap and onto the floor. I bend down to pick it up for him at the same time he does, causing us to nearly bump heads.

"Um, here," I say with a slight giggle as I hand him his phone. He chuckles and rubs the back of his neck before taking the device. "Thanks." He's close enough I can feel his breath on my skin and it suddenly makes me nervous.

"So . . . You seem to be feeling better," Xander states. I nod in confusion, "So are you," I state back. He licks his lips and nods again, his eyes flicking between my eyes. Suddenly, in one swift movement, his lips are on mine and I freeze for a split second before kissing back, but he pulls away as quickly as he initiated the kiss and then Ashton walks in, completely oblivious.

We pull apart and Xander distances himself from me on the bed as I avert my gaze to the floor. Ashton starts rambling about how nice it'll be for everyone to be back home and how the boys can give me a free acoustic performance whenever I'm feeling under the weather, but I'm not really listening because I only have one thing on my mind; Xander kissed me.

Xander just kissed me.

***

A/N - Xander and Bailey finally kissed, all is right within the Irwin household again! Thoughts or predictions?

Also, Ashton fucking Irwin cut his hair. And hasn't posted a picture of the new do yet. I stg if he gets a quiff I will literally jump off a bridge or something, the things these boys do to meeee *cries in a corner for a million years*

Anyway, hopefully I'll survive when pictures of said new hair are released, I wish you all the best of luck ;)

Xoxo - Em :-)