Chapter 46

I'd kill to find one more way to tell you how you make me better everyday

***

| Ashton |

"Ashton!" I turn around and see mom running towards me with a tear stained face, and my heart instantly drops.

"What's wrong?" I ask worriedly, grabbing my mother's shoulders as she basically runs right into me.

"It's Bailey. Her tumor burst, she was rushed into surgery," mom explains, trying to keep her composure.

I feel my breath hitch as I wrap my arms tightly around her. Could this be it? Could this be the thug that ends it all?

"We'll be okay," I whisper, resting my chin on her head as she sobs into my chest. Maybe it's better this way. Then she won't have to suffer anymore.

People in the hospital cafeteria give us sad and sympathetic looks as I hold my mother tightly. Once she's calmed down some, I wrap a arm around her shoulders and we make our way back up to Bailey's floor, where we're directed to a waiting room.

I bounce my leg up and down anxiously, my left hand laying on my left leg bouncing as well, my heart is racing and my anxiety is through the roof. She has to be okay, please let her be okay.

"Hey, I got your text." I look up and see a concerned Cal rushing through the hospital doors and over to my mother and I.

"What happened?" He asks hesitantly, just as Michael and Luke hastily make their way over to us as well.

I sigh and run a hand through my hair. "Bailey's tumor burst, she was rushed into surgery," I explain. All the boys' faces fall, and I can't blame them. It's no secret that she's been getting worse. I'm pretty sure she's already hit rock bottom, and now this? Is she even strong enough to survive?

We all sit in silence, knowing there's nothing to say. We could hope for the best, but the doctor has already warned us that that isn't likely. We could pray that she lives, but to what extent? Would her cancer still be slowly killing her? Would she still be suffering? As much as I hate to think about it, she might be better off if the cancer kills her. I hate seeing her suffer, it isn't fair.

Luke and Michael are whispering to each other quietly, but I'm too distracted to try and tune in. My mind is racing, yet I feel like it's empty.

A little while later, a doctor walks in. "Michael Clifford?" He looks up from his clipboard and I turn to Michael with furrowed eyebrows. He slowly gets up and follows the doctor away, seeming somewhat confused as well. Luke and Calum watch him walk off, before going back to doing their own thing.

The fans by now have found out about Bailey's condition, and to see the amount of support they're giving us is astounding. Some have even gone as far as raising money for my family, which makes me so grateful I could cry. There are even some fans that can relate to her because they're sick too, and even the healthy ones have banded together with the sick ones to create an organization to raise money and awareness for children with cancer. Our fans are fucking amazing. I decide to tweet them and tell them that, since I'm beyond grateful for everything they're trying to do for us.

Just as I slide my phone back into my pocket, Michael returns with a small smile on his face. I give him a questioning look, but he just shakes his head as if to tell us he'll talk about whatever it was later.

Years seem to drag by before we finally get any news. Dr. Phelps walks in and calls for any of Bailey's relatives. Mom and I rush up, the boys also standing but keeping their distance.

"As you know, one of Bailey's tumors burst. We rushed her into surgery and removed as much of it as possible, and we were also able to stop the bleeding. She's in the ICU for now, since she's so weak and fragile," Dr. Phelps says, a serious look on her face.

"So she's alive?" Mom asks I relief.

Dr. Phelps nods. "She is. But I must warn you of her condition. She was at her lowest point when the tumor burst, making surgery very risky, but overall it was the best option. Now, she's at an even lower point. I hate to say it, but we'll be lucky if she even wakes up at all."

We nod our heads and I turn back to the boys. Judging by the solemn looks on their faces, I'm guessing they heard. I sigh and look back to Dr. Phelps.

"Are we allowed to see her?" I ask slowly. Dr. Phelps gives us a sympathetic smile and nods.

"Of course, follow me," she says, beginning to walk away. I turn back once more and the boys give me reassuring smiles as we're lead into the ICU. When we reach Bailey's room, my heart drops. Words can't even describe the way I'm feeling or the way she looks. Mom instantly breaks down into tears as I hold her, but I can feel myself breaking, too. Suddenly, all the things I won't believed don't matter. I don't care if Bailey would be better off dead so she didn't have to suffer anymore. I'm selfish, and I don't want her to die. I can't lose her, because I'd be losing the best part of myself. And with her gone, I don't know what the hell I'd do.

• ° • ° • ° •

A/N - awe, poor ash:(  I feel like that last part got sorta deep, you feel?

I finally finished my summer reading! Yay! T-minus five days until school starts, agh!

Have a wonderful day my loves. Stay fabulous. Xoxo - Em:)