Chapter 40

When she looks me in the eyes, they don't seem as bright no more

***

| Bailey |

Today is basically my last day of freedom, since tomorrow I'm going back into the hospital. Today is also the day I have to tell Melia and Xander that the cancer has spread. Lastly, today is the day I'm finally going to get the courage to do something I've been dreading pretty much since my diagnosis.

"Are you sure about this?" Ashton questions softly as he pulls the box consigning the razor and all its accessories down from a shelf in the bathroom.

Am I? It's already been three months battling cancer, yet I feel like doing this will make it even more real, if that's even possible.

"Yeah," I breathe, taking in a deep breath, letting it out and nodding my head. Xander stands at my side, lacing his fingers with mine. I give him a small smile and he flashes one back.

"Hey, you're going to look beautiful no matter what, okay?" He says. I blush and nod my head slightly as I sit in the chair Melia brought in for me.

"Alright, here we go," Ashton mumbles, watching my reflection in the mirror carefully.

"Just do it," I encourage, wanting to get it done with. Ashton flashes me an apologetic look as he slowly runs the razor through my hair. I never realized that this is probably just as hard for him as it is for me.

I watch through the mirror as my dead and fuzzy hair falls to the floor, and finishing the job takes a lot less time than I thought it would.

"Dude, now we're twinning!" Xander exclaims, pointing to his still bald head. I can't help but giggle a little as he runs his hand over my now hairless head.

"I like this, it feels very relaxing," Xander teases with a smirk on his face. I roll my eyes and smack his hand away, instantly shivering at the loss of his warmth. Ashton smirks, noticing my sudden coldness.

"Here," he says, handing me a little box of beanies. "I picked these up the other day for you, they'll certainly be useful now."

"Thanks Ash," smile as I pick out a batman one and slip it on my head. He gives me a small, closed-mouth smile and pats the fuzzy beanie resting on my head.

"C'mon, the guys are coming over and we're going to make this the funnest day ever since you're going into the hospital tomorrow," Ashton declares, grabbing my hand and gently leading me down the stairs. I giggle as Xander and Melia follow us, and by the time we reach the first floor the other three boys are already banging on the door impatiently.

They all crowd inside and chatter excitedly, their faces barely falling when the see me. Ashton told them the news and also about my decision to shave my hair off, and I'm kind of glad they're not smothering me about either incident.

"Batman!" Luke exclaims upon seeing my beanie. I giggle and put my arms up the way I'm flying like superman and Luke rolls his eyes. "What are you, batman or superman? Make up your mind woman!" He groans in mock frustration.

I put my hands up in surrender and roll my eyes back. "Sorry, geez," I mutter with a laugh as we all head into the living room. Mom is making us food in the kitchen, and for once I'm actually a bit hungry.