Epilogue

| Bailey |

I laugh as I watch Xander chase Indie, my newly adopted dog, around the yard. She yips and barks as she jumps around his heels, finally tripping him and causing him to fall onto the grass. I finally get up and offer him a hand, which he gratefully takes and then quickly pulls me in for a kiss. I smile into the short but sweet kiss and then stand on my tip toes to peck his forehead.

It's hard to believe it's been almost six months since I was declared to be in remission. Xander and I have been dating now for seven months, and we're still going as strong as ever. We have our arguments and bad days, of course, but including possibly imagine being with anyone else.

"Bailey, are you ready?" Mom calls from the back doorway. I nod and grab Xander's hand, pulling him into the house and grabbing my suitcase.

"See you soon babe, have fun," Xander says with a smile, pecking my lips one last time. I smile as he follows us out of the house and we part ways, mom and I getting into the car.

The boys have begun another tour, with their third album in the process of being written. They're currently touring in Melbourne, so we're going to surprise them there. Ashton has been bugging me nonstop about my latest scan, since it was yesterday. He's flipping out because I haven't told him the results yet, but that's why we're going to surprise him. I want to give him the good news in person, and I love surprises!

The flight isn't very long, but I'm hoping that there won't be any fans to give away our secret arrival. Thankfully, I see there are none when we exit the plane and gather our luggage. I can't help but bounce with excitement, I can't wait to see my boys!

Mom grabs my hand and squeezes, pulling me into her arms as we walk. It causes us to stumble a bit, but I don't mind. I'm just glad we can still have moments like this.

"Are you excited to see Ashton?" Mom asks as we get in a taxi and drive down to the stadium. We're going to watch them perform and then surprise them in the dressing room after the show's over.

"Yes!" I squeal, unable to contain my excitement.

"Me too," mom grins.

We arrive at the venue a short time later and are let in, with seats near the front, but secluded enough that the boys won't be able to pick us out of the crowd. We wait eagerly as all the other fans come in and take their seats, and somehow, but thankfully so, no one notices or recognizes us.

All of a sudden, the lights dim and the countdown begins. All the fans go wild, screaming at the top of their lungs. I feed off of their energy, getting more and more hyper and feeling as if I might explode if the boys don't come on soon. They're late, as always, but when they come out and I see Ashton take his place behind the drums, everything in me seems to be on fire. I'm reminded of how close we are and how much I've missed him since he left again, and the unbreakable connection we have. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in this world. He's my best friend and stood by my side when I was at my very worst, and for that, I'm forever grateful.

The show is absolutely amazing. The boys play their very best, and as it comes to a close I can see the passion and love and emotion they put into it. Especially Ashton, yet he seems otherwise occupied as he rises from his place behind his drums and joins the others for the final bow. I know why. It's because I still haven't called him about my scan.

As they begin the encore, mom and I slip away from the crowd and Dave lets us backstage. He grins at me when I walk past and pulls me into a hug.

"Glad to see ya back, kiddo," he smiles warmly and pats my head, making me laugh. Mom and I are guided through the hallways into the 5sos dressing room, where we sit and wait for them to finish. I hear Ashton screaming and thanking the crowd for being amazing as always, and then they're finished. I can't help but squeal and jump in place from excitement as my nerves bounce off the walls. It gets even worse as I hear their rowdy voices getting closer and closer. Mom and I duck behind the couch and it takes everything in me not to scream and launch myself at Ashton as I hear him walk in. They wander around a bit, chatting and eating and buzzing from the show. Once they've all showered they finally settle down, and Ashton flops down on the couch. I slowly rise up and place my hands over his eyes, making him tense slightly.

"Guess who?" I hum. Ashton gasps, the smile on his face radiating around the room as he grabs my hands, pulls them away from his face, and rapidly turns around. I grin and summersault over the couch so I'm sitting on it, then turn to face Ashton with a grin as large as the Cheshire cat's.

"Bailey!" He breathes, wasting no time in pulling me into his arms. I breathe in his scent and squeeze him as if my life depends on it. I mean, if kind of does. I don't know what I'd have done without him this past year. Being in his arms has always given me an unexplainable sense of security and belonging, ever since I was little. Maybe it was because he's been the father figure I never had, or my very best and most loyal friend, I'm not sure. All I know is that hugging Ashton makes me feel at home.

"Surprise," I breathe, giggling into his chest. Ashton stands up and lifts me into his arms so I'm holding onto him like a koala, spinning around and making weird noises. All the other boys screech and chatter in excitement of our surprise, making me laugh.

"Guess what?" I chirp once Ash finally puts me down and hugs mom. "Guess who's still cancer free and ready to live and long and crazy life with my favorite boys?" I hum with a grin. They all gasp again and run at me full speed. I shriek with laughter as I'm tackled to the ground and all the boys pull me into a group hug on the floor.

"I love you so fucking much, Bailey," Ashton sighs once we've settled down.

"I love you more," I breathe, laying across my boys.

Something I've learned over the past year — not easily, may I add — is that life isn't perfect. There will be bad days, but there will be good days, too. There will be days when all we do is cry, but there will be others filled with laughter. That's just life. There's no controlling, there's no choosing, it just is. And whether or not you enjoy it, well, that's up to you.

As for me, I'd say life is pretty great. And I owe it all to this crazy band of boys I call my brothers.

T  H  E    E  N  D

A/N - I actually had time to update today! OH MY GOSH ITS OVER! I loved writing this book, and thank you guys so much for reading and voting. I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Stay tuned for a new story coming soon! (I have so many started omggggg) xoxo - Em 😁❤️