Chapter 48

I can't set my hopes too high, 'cause every hello ends with a goodbye

***

| Michael |

It's been about three days since Bailey's surgery, and there's still no change. The doctors keep saying she needs time to rebuild her strength and recover, but the longer she stays unconscious, the more worried I get.

"You gonna visit her today?" Luke asks. I slept over at his house last night because I was just really stressed and worried. Bailey is the closest thing I have to a sister, and I just can't even imagine losing her. So, when my thoughts got too much to handle on my own and I was on the verge of having an anxiety attack, I showed up on Luke's doorstep and he gladly welcomed me inside. Liz agreed to let me stay the night, even though I didn't sleep much. But judging by the bags under Luke's eyes, I'm guessing he had a hard night too.

"Yeah, I think so," I say, biting my lip nervously. I haven't visited her yet because I've just been really scared to.

"Don't worry mate. It's a little overwhelming at first, but it just looks like she's sleeping. I mean, she technically is," Luke shrugs, trying to calm me down.

"D-did you talk to her?" I ask nervously as I change my shirt and put my skinny jeans on.

Luke nods. "A little. Ashton was there and he was upset, so I comforted him and then we kind of just talked about some memories we had with her. I told her goodbye when I left though, and that I love her."

I nod my head as I tug a jacket over my tee and slip my combat boots on. I don't really know why I'm so worked up over this. Bailey and I are the closest besides her and Ashton, so this shouldn't be hard, right? Or maybe the fact that we are this close is what's making it so nerve wracking. I don't know. I sigh and shake my head to clear my thoughts before saying bye to Luke and Liz and taking off to the hospital. I try to keep myself calm as I walk in and Zoey is rounding the patients as usual. She's very nice and she makes me feel a little better.

"Don't be nervous, Michael. Just talk to her the way you would if she were awake," Zoey says calmly. I nod my head and send her a grateful smile. Ash is just leaving as I walk in and he gives a tired smile and a hug before saying he's going outside to get some air. I make a mental note to check up on him later.

Just like Luke said, Bailey doesn't look too bad now. Aside from her sickly thin body and the deep bags under her eyes, she just looks like she's sleeping. I pull a chair up beside her bed and let out a sigh.

"Hey Bailey Bear." I chuckle at the nickname as I think back to all those years ago when I started calling her that pet name. "It's been a few days. I miss your beautiful eyes," I say awkwardly as I take in her appearance.

"We all miss you, like a lot. And I know how hard this must be, but if you have any fight left in you, I'm begging you to use it. I just, none of us will be the same if you die. And I feel terrible asking you to keep fighting even after all this. But I just — I dunno. I have this feeling deep down in my gut, that you can do this. And I believe in you, Bailey. I really hope you believe in yourself, too."

~ Flashback ~

"How's my little bear doing?" Mom asks as I walk into the house with the boys and Bailey in tow. Ash has to watch her today, so we had to bring her along to band practice. Bailey doesn't seem to mind one bit; she loves watching us play.

"Mumma bear!" I exclaim childishly as I run into her arms. She giggles and wraps her arms tightly around my neck, since I'm already starting to become taller than her.

"Little bear?" Bailey asks in confusion.

Mom nods with a light laugh. "Yes my love. Michael is my little bear, and I'm his momma bear."

"Karen here is the sweetest person on earth, but if you ever mess with anyone she cares about, good luck," Cal speaks up. Bailey still looks between mom and I with a confused expression and I laugh.

"Y'know how you're told to never go near a bear cub because the mother is always close by?" I ask. Bailey nods her little head. "You're not supposed to go near the baby because if you do, the mother will get really mad and probably try to hurt you because she's so protective of her cubs. That's where the phrase mother bear comes from," I explain. Bailey's face lights up once she makes the connection and I laugh at her reaction.

"I want a nickname!" She cheers, running over to mom and I.

"Do you want to be a part of the Clifford family too?" Mom laughs. Bailey nods eagerly.

"How about we call you . . . Bailey Bear!"

"Yeah!" Bailey cheers, running over and giving me a high five. I smirk at Ash, who's leaned against the counter with a fond smile on his face.

"It's official Ash, I'm adopting your sister. She's staying with me for the rest of my life!" I tease.

"Will there be pizza?" Bailey asks excitedly.

"Oh my child, there's always pizza in the Clifford house!" I shout.

"Then I'm in!" She cheers, latching herself onto my legs. I send Ashton a triumphant look and grin.

"You are most definitely part Clifford, Bailey Bear."

"I remember that day like it was yesterday," I hum. "It's hard to believe that was six years ago."

It feels weird talking to her when she doesn't respond. It almost feels like I'm talking to myself.

"Look Bailey, no matter what happens, I'll always love you, and I'll always have a special place in my heart for you. Take care, Bailey Bear."

And with that, I kiss her forehead and quickly rush out of the room as silent tears stain my cheeks.

• ° • ° • ° •

A/N - I'm back! I started school this week, and I'm a junior! I feel so old, yet at the same time I still feel like I'm literally ten, like I don't feel old enough to be a junior oh my. Anyway, the work is already getting heavy and today was only my third day, so we'll see how updating goes. Hopefully I'll still be able to update frequently, or at least once a week!

Also, this story is almost over! I think I did mention this before, but I'll probably  gush about it every time I update tbh.

Lastly, I'm working on quite a few new stories as well, and I'm super excited to post them! Again, we'll see how that goes because school obviously always comes first but I will definitely try my best!

Sorry for the super long author's note, if any of y'all even read this haha. Thank you for reading, please vote and comment! I love to hear your thoughts o my work:) xoxo - Em:-)