Chapter 3

Anastasia's P.O.V.

My wolf growled contentedly as we passed through a ray of sunshine. Today was our fourth and final day of walking. Dad, Damien, Nyal and Axel were already in Blackwell territory, making arrangements for the pack's arrival. My wolf's dark mahogany colour blended in with the surrounding forest, though, those who knew the true nature of my wolf say that she was the colour of dried blood. 

So far, I was able to keep in control of myself though she was putting up quite a fight. I haven't shifted back in four days and she's been agitated, constantly fighting me for full control but I remained the holder of the reins. I felt someone nudge my side and I grinned as I saw Xaden's wolf. He was a jet black, the same colour as his hair with grey paws. We were on wolf patrol today, Cael helped Kenna and Hayley keep the kids in line. 

Xaden nudged my neck, making me look forward and I saw that the pack were way ahead. Asher had them move fast and furiously, we didn't have the resources to camp for one more night. Xaden gave me a lopsided grin as he reared on his haunches. My wolf took the challenge and reared as well. I grinned as I sprinted ahead, pushing my muscles to the limit in order to beat Xaden, he was the fastest in our pack. I yapped in victory as I reached the pack first, only to realise that Xaden was up in front with Jared. I huffed and pawed at the dirt in defeat.

Cael laughed and ran his hand through my fur. "One day you'll beat him," I shook his hand off gently and watched as he went to help some women set up fires for lunch. Outsiders would probably think that Cael or Xaden were my mate but truthfully, we were friends since birth and were pretty close they were only ones beside my dad and brothers who knew inside out.

"Wolfie." 

I felt a small hand on my muzzle and saw a little boy staring up at me in awe. Behind him was a crowd of fascinated kiddies, I was confused at their reactions but I realised that they never saw me in wolf form. I grinned and nudged his stomach gently before settling down on the forest floor. Soon enough all the kids were around me, stroking my fur or playing hide and seek behind my massive form. I held back a growl as I closed my eyes.

"Leave it to you kids to make a playground out of anything," I opened my eyes to see Kenna, a brown eyed, brown haired beauty and Asher's mate, standing there smiling at the kids. "Now come on, let Anastasia rest for a bit while you guys eat lunch." I watched good naturedly as Kenna ushered the kids to eat.

"I don't know how you do it," she said as she placed a bowl in front of me, "maybe I'm not cut out for kids." I snorted as I ate the meager portion of food. It was just enough to sustain me until we reach Blackwell land.

"Ah don't worry Kenna, you don't have to worry about kids for a while," Asher looped his arm around her and pulled her in for a kiss. 

I dropped my gaze, giving them privacy and ignored the feelings of longing that panged through me. With four out of seven brothers and all my best friends either mated or are mates, I tend to get quite lonely. I couldn't wait to find my mate but I had patience and trusted the Moon Goddess.

Ana, I looked up at Asher as he looked down apologetically at me.

There's no need to apologise, I said. How much further until Blackwell boundary?

An hour walk for the most, are you okay? Asher ran his hand along my back. She's still fighting you?

Yup but I'm holding up pretty well, being around the children helps and having someone nearby too. I stretched as Asher nodded as he took the bowl away.

"We begin walking in an hour," he shouted as he, Kenna, Ari and Hayley sat together. Cael was with his mate, Emily and her family while Rowan's wolf dozed in the sun. I settled down again. It wasn't long before I felt a familiar weight prop on my side.

Xaden absentmindedly ran his fingers through my fur. I growled in content as I relaxed but was on high alert. Outsiders genuinely thought that Xaden and I were mates but  Xaden's mate, Steffie, was in college across the country so he was as lonely as I was until she came back. We stayed like that for a while before going on the final stretch of our journey.

~

Xaden, Cael and I hung back from the pack as they slowly crossed the border. We'd made it, finally. The pack was entering Blackwell land. Ari went ahead with the pack as Asher and Rowan helped everyone across quickly, apparently Alpha Blackwell planned a pack gathering as a welcome and we didn't want to be late. Xaden, Cael and I kept our eyes trained on the forest behind us. The south was known for the number of rouges they had, we found it strange that we had encountered none during our travel.

Crack

I spoke too soon. Immediately we went on the defensive and snarled as a stocky brown wolf emerged. Jared and Asher saw this and hurried those who had yet to cross. I bared my teeth and stepped forward, giving the wolf the option to flee. 

My wolf was frantically pushing harder at the barrier I set up. She wanted blood, she wanted to rip this wolf limb from limb, and submission wasn't an option for her. I trembled as I fought, struggling to keep in control. I had barely registered that Cael and Xaden had attacked, they had the rouge pinned to the ground but the rouge quickly threw them off.

Xaden's wolf whimpered as he tumbled towards me and my barrier broke down, I felt my mind being pushed to back as my wolf took over. She jumped over Xaden and tackled the rouge to the ground, immediately sinking her canines into his neck. The rouge whimpered and tried to throw her off but she pinned him to the ground, using her sheer weight to crack his ribs. Again and again her teeth sunk into his neck. I gagged mentally as his blood gushed into our mouth. 

I tried to resurface to prevent her from killing the rouge. I pushed and pushed but I couldn't get through. I had lost control of my wolf and there was nothing I could do to stop her from killing him.

Suddenly something barrelled into us, throwing her off the rouge. She dug her claws into the soil as she skidded to a stop. Snarling, her eyes flashed murderlously at Xaden's wolf. I noticed that Cael was gone. She wasn't too pleased with Xaden stopping her from her kill. 

Xaden lunged and she tried to go for his neck but he missed her jaws by an inch. She lunged at him, hoping to take him down the same way. I tried to regain control, once she was in this state, she didn't care if the wolf was a friend or foe, she wanted their blood all the same. Xaden lunged one more time before running into Blackwell territory. Angry at his cowardice, she ran behind him and all I could do was sit back and watch.