Chapter 16

Luke's P.O.V.

This was torture.

I was currently juggling three pound dumbbells like a circus clown. I swear Axel was not right in his head. He had an unusual, almost childlike take on training, the same kind of crazy I saw whenever Anastasia got really hyper. I hoped Axel's mate would be just as crazy as he is. Like really, juggling dumbbells? At least it was better than pushing the barbell through a makeshift track like last week.

But that wasn't the torture.

Torture was trying to focus on training when my very attractive and talented mate is dancing her heart out a couple metres away.

Ana, Kenna and Hayley weren't training with us today, instead they were dancing on a makeshift dancefloor of plywood. Seth had told us that Ana had secured an audition with some performing arts school at the end of the school year. While I was so proud of her, it hurt that I couldn't share that experience with her. I swallowed past the lump of envy in my throat as Axel came around correcting people's technique and giving them advice.

I took my eyes off her and focused on the black dumbbells as Axel came closer but from the look in his eyes, Alpha Ashworth didn't raise no fool. Where I stood gave me a clear view of Anastasia's every move as she danced. Axel's eyes darted to his sister before darkening in amusement as he looked at me. I maintained my innocent expression as I continued to juggle the dumbbells.

"Nice work Lukey boy," he grinned evilly, "now try getting them higher and faster." 

I did as he asked and he observed me. My eyes drifted to Ana out of habit and my wolf growled as she bent down, showing off her cleavage and slowly came back up. I lost my focus and missed a dumbbell which promptly landed on my foot.

Axel laughed loudly as I bit back a curse and huffed in pain. "That'll teach you to keep your eyes off my sister," he laughed again before walking off. I shook my head and dropped the dumbbells as Nyal sounded the air horn for lunch.

I kissed Mom on her cheek as she handed me a plate and joined the queue for food. Lunch was courtesy of a catering company from the nearby town, it was less hassle than having everyone cook whole morning and clean up afterwards. This gave them the mornings free and only the cleaning and washing up to do, or so was Ana's logic according to Mom.

I sat down on the grass with my food and drink in hand. I grinned as Ana took a break from dancing. Her eyes met mine and I smiled, smiling even wider when I got one in return but I frowned as the smile disappeared from her face quickly and she sat with her friends. I sighed and started eat as my friends sat down around me.

I thought the night of the party was a huge step forward for us and it was until a couple days ago when Anastasia started avoiding me. She would avoid my gaze during class, duck into corridors or classrooms whenever we could cross paths or she would return a smile but it will disappear like today. I don't know what happened and I had a feeling that the blonde on my right had something to do with it.

"Axel! Restart the song!" Ana shouted as she stood up. The Ashworths were a lot like me, we could not train without music