Chapter 15

Anastasia's P.O.V.

Hayley and I laughed as we walked to our lockers after Spanish. We chatted away in Spanish, not in the mood to switch back after the movie we just watched. Kenna and Cael were on their way from AP Geography to meet Xaden in the cafeteria. I cringed at Hayley's terrible impression of the male lead before twirling my combination and offloading the books I no longer needed for the day.

"So," Hayley said as she fixed her hair in the mirror she installed on the inside of her locker door, "everyone's dying of curiosity and I was "chosen" to be the messenger."

I raised my eyebrow at her as I closed my locker door and leaned against it. "When have you guys ever been afraid to ask me anything?" Hayley made an indistinct sound from behind her door as she continued to fix her hair. "Well ask away." I adjusted the pen that was threatening to slip out from my binder.

Hayley closed the door and leaned against it, her blues eyes focused on mine. "What happened when you and Luke disappeared from the party?"

I felt my cheeks flush as I was instantly thrown back to that night. The way we moved perfectly across the dance floor, my body relaxing against his, his welcoming warmth coupled with his enticing heady scent. I could differentiate the individual scents now, so far I guessed mild incense with a bit of mint and something woodsy but our bond needed to be stronger for me to know more. And we had the opportunity that night, I could still feel the heat of his skin against my lips when our instincts overtook us but my head told me to pull away.

"On second thought," Hayley's voice broke my musing, "I think you should talk to Kenna."

I looked up and ducked my head as she smirked at me. "Nothing like that happened," I said firmly. "We just talked a bit, admired the night and returned to the party."

Hayley looked at me suspiciously, "Talked about what?"

Luke's words echoed in my head. "Stuff," I answered offhandedly. I reached up to tuck a loose hair behind my ear, only to find none there. I mentally cursed myself, it was one of my nervous habits and people close to me knew it.

Hayley raised an eyebrow, "Ana did anything else happen that night?"

I bit my lip as they tingled again. I couldn't tell anyone how close Luke and I came to marking each other. "Nothing happened alright?" I snapped a little as my wolf became annoyed with the questions about our mate.

Hayley stepped back a little but nodded. I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck as I tried to calm my wolf. I looked at her apologetically and she smiled. I grinned and turned around to head to the cafeteria. I muttered a curse as my pen fell out of my binder.

But it never hit the floor.

A tanned hand closed around before it could. My nostrils flared a little as mild scent of incense and mahogany hooked me and placated my wolf. I looked down and my eyes locked in the sea of blue. Even through my jeans, I felt jolts and tingles that coursed straight to my core, creating a tightening in my tummy as his fingers gently traced the outline of my leg as he brought the pen up to eye level.

"Yours?" Luke's husky whisper sent shivers down my spine and made the bundle of knots in my stomach tighten.