Chapter 18

Luke's P.O.V.

My locker door slammed shut earning myself a couple of looks as I stood there, glowering. I stood to my full height, trying to calm my wolf as he paced agitatedly. I rest my arm against the locker followed by my head.

It was the most volatile times of the year. The heat was upon us and everyone felt the effects highly. Most of the girls were absent and couples had already gone missing leaving most unmated males and a few brave girls in school. Everyone was on edge as our wolf nature was heightened; the tension was thick around the school. I had to break up countless near fights today.

Jason and Bryan grunted as they stood next to me. The school was quiet, everyone fearing that a single word would trigger a bomb.

"Seth's so damn lucky their family went out of town for a couple of days," Bryan said.

"You and I both know he's on babysitting duty while his parents get lucky," Jason retorted. 

I growled annoyed and their laughter died down. My wolf growled and pawed at my conscious more now, urging me to find Ana. That was something I could do in a heartbeat as my body was so aware of hers, her scent was sweeter and more potent now.

"Let's head to lunch," Bryan said snapping me out of my daze. I nodded and pushed off from my locker but at that moment, my shoulder knocked into someone.

"Watch it," they hissed and my wolf instantly got aggressive. I looked up and saw the person who I had bumped into was no other that Xaden.

My mood instantly changed. Everyone in the corridor stepped back, anticipating the fight that was going to happen. My wolf controlled the larger part of my logic. He brought up all the times Xaden was in contact with our mate, taking her away from us, the only obstacle between us and her. 

"Get out of my way," I spat out. My wolf was howling for blood.

"And if I don't?" Xaden stepped towards me and I held my ground, standing up to my full height and squaring my shoulders. "You're not my alpha."

"I am of Alpha blood," I said lowly. "And you will show some respect."

Xaden snorted, "Respect? You aren't worth mine. You're no alpha. You're a pathetic excuse for an alpha, even for a wolf. You fail to get anything right."

"Mind your own business Ford," I snarled. "You have no idea who I am and what I'm going through."

Xaden growled and stepped closer challenging me face-to-face. "And you think you're the only one? You have no idea what you have and what you're doing and have done. Your mate is right in front of you, literally, everyday. Yet you play with her emotions and her heart as if she's a toy. You have no idea how much people would kill for their mate to be with them instead of halfway across the country or the world."

I had a light bulb moment at his words but my anger outweighed my sympathy. "Then step aside and let me get what I want."

Xaden squared his shoulders, his wolf ready to burst to the surface. "Never."

I raised my paw to swat him aside but the blow never landed. I focused my eyes through the blurry haze of rage and saw that my hand had stopped mere centimetres away from Anastasia. I watched as Cael restrained a furious Xaden with silver cuffs. I tensed to lunge again but Anastasia's hand pressed to my chest, stopping me.