Chapter 11

Anastasia's P.O.V.

I was lying on my bed when I heard a knock on the floor. I rolled over onto my tummy, smiling as I saw Dad standing at the foot of the ladder.

"Password," I stated jokingly. It was fun testing everyone who wanted to come up with a different password every time.

"Chocolate cheesecake," Dad grinned and I sat up on the edge of the bed as he climbed the ladder. I laughed loudly as when Dad cursed after hitting his head on the roof. He glared playfully at me before sitting down next to me.

"Have you heard from any colleges as yet?" Dad asked, noticing my pointe shoes in the middle of the room.

I shook my head, "No one has called to arrange a showcase yet but I'm not worried yet. We've got bigger things to worry about."

"Still considering the gap year? You know you don't need to, Tammy can always step up," Dad said.

I smiled, "I'll see, if I don't get a call soon, I'll take it." I leaned my head against his shoulder. "I know you didn't come up here to talk about college."

Dad chuckled and motioned for me to out my wrist. His eyes were unreadable as he examined the faint pink line of the silver burn. I focused on it, remembering the relief I'd felt when Luke had touched my skin.

"I've never seen mates act so distant before," Dad said quietly. I knew he'd seen how Luke and I acted around each other on Saturday. "He is your mate right?"

I nodded. Admitting it out loud would just hurt, a searing pain through my soul. I braced myself for the next question.

"Then what's going on between you two?"

I swallowed dryly in an attempt to remove the lump of emotion from my throat. I bit my lip and looked away, my gaze falling on the lake in distance.

"Did he hurt you? Did Jonathan say something? Was he ordered to stay away from you?" Dad's voice got angrier and angrier with each question. "Did he reject you?"

"He has a girlfriend."

Those four words crushed my composure and shocked Dad into silence. I focused on breathing evenly, knowing that if I cried, Luke would be dead before the night was through.

"Oh Ana-bear," Dad hugged me and I chewed at my lip to distract me from the pain. Having a relationship with someone other than your mate was unheard of in our pack and it was apparently the same in the Blackwell pack, of course; with an exception.

"Has he formally announced her as his....partner?" Dad asked gently. I shook my head but the memories of what I heard in the locker room this afternoon resurfaced.

"Luke is going to present Isabel as his mate this weekend." My blood ran cold as I stood in the changing stall frozen in shock.

"Where did you hear that? Straight from the horse's mouth?" the other girl sneered.

"Well yeah, Isabel said so before P.E. today."