Chapter 26

Anastasia's P.O.V.

I crouched low under the bushes, waiting for my prey. The forest was quiet but I could hear distant whines and growls but ears were tuned for the sounds of someone else. I tensed, poised and ready for the attack as the faint sound of crunching dirt filled my ears. I saw a flash of grey and pounced.

Luke's wolf yelped in surprise as I tackled him to the floor, biting his neck hard enough to cause pain but not break the skin. He pushed me off and I rolled out of the way before Luke could pin me. I lunged, claws extended to latch on to his hide but Luke was faster. He caught my front legs between his teeth, making me crash to the forest floor. I growled as I stood on my four legs, my wolf was more in control now and she did not like losing, even to her mate.

I barrelled into Luke, knocking him over due to my size and speed, something he always underestimated, and pinned him down with a triumphant wolfy smirk.

Not bad, I said, re-opening the mate bond that we hid from each other. I heard his thoughts a fraction of a second too late. Luke used his legs to push me off of him and pin me down. His wolf let his weight crush me a little, reminding me who was alpha. Not bad at all, I reached up and licked his neck.

Luke grumbled as he sat up, Part of me wants you stop going for my neck during training but I keep that part locked in a box.

I rolled my eyes as I looked up at him, all the nips and bites we inflicted on each other during training left us with red spots that looked like hickeys when we shifted back. We gave up trying to convince everyone otherwise and played along. Luke's wolf nuzzled his nose against my neck, nipping at the small crescent area where his mark was. 

That, his wolves piercing blue eyes bore into mine, is the only mark that matters.

I formed a rebuttal in my head but I yelped in pain as seven bombs of anger exploded in my head. I forced myself to phase back and I curled into a ball in an attempt to soften the mental blows. Luke growled loudly as his wolf curled around me protectively. He had felt the blast and tried to shield me as much as he could from the wave of fury that was in my head. My hands knotted in my hair as more voices and minds joined the chaos, someone had opened the pack mind link in the Ashworth pack. I hated using the pack mind link, everything was out there for everyone to see and feel. Whatever happened had my pack up in arms and me in pain. Luke whined, unable to buffer an entire pack that wasn't under his command. After a what felt like hours, finally, came silence.

"ANA!!" Damien's voice echoed through the forest. Luke howled in response as I struggled to form words. We were training one-on-one under him today but Luke and I were allowed to training separately from the pack as Blackwell tradition, an Alpha and Luna learning each other.

Damien appeared from the trees, shirtless and positively livid. Our position only fuelled the fire in his eyes. Luke growled and tensed, ready to attack him if he started a fight.

"How do you feel?" he said slowly.

"Like Hiroshima, Fukushima and Chernobyl went off in my head," I muttered. My ears were ringing but I looked at him. "I'm too shaken to phase back."

Daimen placed our clothes at Luke's feet, his lips curled with distaste at the action. "Blackwell pack house," he said simply before turning around and walking away.

I exhaled a bit shakily before slipping my clothes on and giving Luke some privacy. I rest my head on my knees, trying to recover.

"Come here," Luke scooped me up into his arms, making me rest my head on his shoulder. "You're not used to a pack mind link," he stated.