Chapter 8

Luke's P.O.V.

I stood in front the mirror dressed in a pair of blue jeans and dress shoes. Tonight Mom, Dad and I were going to small get together with the Ashworths to celebrate Jared's birthday. I grinned as I remembered hearing Anastasia coming over and inviting us. I wished I had gone to the kitchen to see her but we weren't really on good terms.

Ever since that incident 2 weeks ago, our barely-there relationship was almost gone. We only talked in Biology if we needed to and that was polite and strained. I hurt my mate, it was all my fault. If I could just explain to her, I was really trying to get Isabel off me that day in the cafeteria. I wasn't into that whole making out in front of people thing but for some reason Isabel felt the need to. That move was totally out of character for her but she refused to explain herself when I asked her about it.

My eyes drifted over to the drawing that Anastasia left for me. Guilt overwhelmed me and I had to grip the dresser for support. It hurt me more than words. Things would be much easier if Anastasia just confronted me and fought Isabel but she wasn't that kind of girl. I walked over to the drawing which was framed on my nightstand and traced my fingers over it. Despite the feelings that it conveyed, it was much too beautiful to hide away.

"Luke, we're leaving in five minutes," Mom said. I sighed and pulled on a blue shirt that matched my eyes and headed down stairs. Mom and Dad were already in the Range Rover. I got into the backseat and we were on our way.

The tension between Anastasia and I was hurting the two of us, her more than me.

I knew I needed to break things off with Isabel, it was only a matter of time before things became deadly. I knew I had to break it to Isabel gently so slowly pushing her away was my best bet. I also needed to gain Anastasia's trust but she was sure as hell stubborn. How was I going to even start?

~

Loud laughter continuously came from Dad, Alpha Ashworth, Damien and Axel. They were standing at the grill each with a beer in hand as they added various meats to the grill. Axel and I started talking but the smell of burning meat stopped our conversation.

Whoever decorated the backyard did a beautiful job. String lights were hung above us with Happy Birthday banner over the main table where Jared and couple of his friends were sitting. Folding tables covered in white tablecloths with small flower centerpieces and plastic folding chairs were set up as well. Each brother invited a small group of friends and they were lounging at the tables talking and laughing. Unsurprisingly, Kenna and Hayley were glued to Asher and Ari. Cael and Xaden were sitting at a table talking, waiting for Anastasia.

I walked over to Mom with my hands shoved into my pocket. She was talking to Tammy, a good friend of the Ashworths who took up Luna duties while Anastasia was in school or busy, according to Mom. She looked up at me as I got closer.

"Tammy, this is Luke, my son," she introduced us.

Tammy, a pretty brown haired woman smiled, "Nice to meet you Luke."

We shook hands as I sat down. My wolf whimpered and howled, she was so close, yet so far. Her scent overpowering now and the bond only pulled me to her. I closed my eyes, trying to think of an excuse to go find her.

My eyes snapped open as Ana's scent got stronger and my skin started to tingle. I looked up and took in my beautiful mate. She was holding two wine glasses and an opened bottle of white wine.