Chapter 23

Luke's P.O.V.

I hung back making sure that all of the Blackwell pack was out in the clearing to greet the Mc Donald pack. I growled at the stragglers, making them walk a little bit faster. I swear that when I became Alpha, I wasn't going to do this pack gathering thing. The Ashworths had the right idea, they let the Alpha, Beta and their families greet the visiting pack with a pack dinner to celebrate the visit and only if it was important; then call a pack gathering.

I frowned as I saw Ana trudging slowly, leaning tiredly against Nyal as the Ashworths headed into the clearing. She had taken time off from school after the fight to recover more mentally that physically. For the first couple of days I never left her side, not that she would let me. After her breakdown, Ana clung to me for support, both physically and emotionally so I stood by her until she eventually regained her stubbornness and made me go to school.

Isabel was in a stable condition but her injuries would take months to overcome and the guilt was eating away at Ana, even though she didn't show it. It unsettled me that Ana could hide her emotions so easily and it was often a reflex for her but thanks to our strong mate bond, Ana could not hide everything from me. I smiled as Ana weakly released Nyal's hand and slipped easily into my arms.

I hummed contentedly as she pressed her head to my chest. "You're so sleepy," I teased her as we swayed a bit. I felt her nod against my chest. "Are you sure you're up for this?" Another nod. "And the dinner tonight?" I laughed as Ana groaned and shook her head, burying her face into my chest, making me growl in approval. I pressed a kiss to her forehead before letting her go and extending my arm to her.

Anastasia smiled and linked our arms and rest her head against my shoulder as we walked. I came to a stop next to my parents. Ana looked over at her family and whined softly. It was strange for her and I could tell that she was unsure what to do. However, Alpha Ashworth smiled at her and their eyes glassed over. I looked away, giving them their father-daughter moment. It was only then I realised that my pack was stirring and my mother was trying to hide her smile.

A grin slowly spread across my face when I realised that Ana was by my side, her rightful place as my mate. I pulled her closer and her excited gaze met mine. I pressed my lips to her forehead. Standing next to my parents, they were the present and we are the future.

A crop of ginger hair stood out against the forest green, signalling the arrival of the McDonald family. Alpha McDonald, Luna McDonald, their son and a couple others emerged from the treeline, making a beeline to the circle.

Dad stepped forward and the two Alphas shook hands. "Welcome to Blackwell territory," he greeted Alpha McDonald warmly.

"Why the solemn crowd Jonathan?" the red haired older man gestured to the crowd. "But thank you for having us. Also, thank you does not even begin to communicate our gratitude for your warning against the Nightwalker pack." His pack members bowed.

"No need to thank us," Dad replied with a smile. "If our positions were reversed, you'd do the same. Now come, let's enjoy your first time here in over 6 years."

"Byron," Alpha Ashworth boomed loudly as the crowd dispersed and everyone started mingling. He embraced Alpha McDonald like an old friend. "Good to see you alive and well," he grinned, clapping the man's stocky back.

"Same here," Alpha McDonald grinned, "even though you took quite a beating. Now where is your lot?"

Ana tiptoed to kiss my cheek and chuckled, letting her hand go so she could join her family. Mom soon snatched me and I somehow got stuck in a conversation with Luna McDonald. Ten minutes in and I was ready to get out there. This is the reason why I never go with Mom to the grocery store. My eyes glazed over the clearing at the people left and they zoned in on Anastasia.