chapter | ten

ch 10

ch 10. I would like to take the first option

My heart stopped as Newbie and two others unlocked my cell door, Newbie had told me earlier that they are going to take me to the court room were the judge, my lawyer and mother would see to the best option of what my punishment was. I know for sure that the school and Greg didn't press bad charges. But it was still the law for me to get some kind of punishment.

I had fallen asleep yesterday while I was leaning against the bars. Don't ask how I don't even know. But the few hours of sleep I got, weren't very amazing. I was still so fucking tired.

Newbie was the one to secure my hands behind my back as we walked to the same police van as yesterday. He opened the door and let me step inside on my own, I slid onto the long narrow seat on one side of the van, while newbie sat on the identical seat across from mine. Once again we just looked at each other, it wasn't awkward it was more reassuring for me. Just to have him be here with me felt comforting, and It shouldn't. It meant I was letting him in too easily, I was getting to attached.

This time, the newbie was the one to break eye contact because he leaned forward and started talking quietly to the 2 guards who were driving. Successfully making sure I didn't hear anything that they were saying.

I sighed quietly and looked down at my bare feet. Did I forget to mention that I forgot my shoes? Because I did, and now I had to walk around with a shitty coat and no shoes. How stylish of me, right?

The van halted to a stop, and I realized that we had made if to the town courthouse. It wasn't the first time I had been here, so it didn't scare me that much. What made me nervous was that last time they said it was my last chance. Before something drastic would happen.

I jumped out of the van door as soon as the door was pulled open. Newbie followed me out of the van holding a bag that I hadn't noticed before.

"Sasha, go around to the bathrooms and change into these clothes. Your mom dropped them off earlier. The bathroom is that way." I grabbed the bag out of his hand and lazily went towards the bathrooms that he was pointing towards.

I could hear the thumps of his boots as he followed me. I mumbled insults about him under my breath, It's not like I was going to make a run for it. If they caught me, it would end very badly. I wasn't that dumb.

I stopped in front of the bathroom and walked in, turning the small lock. I pulled my stinky clothes off and looked through the clothes mom had packed me. There were my usual black leather jacket, black skinny jeans, and a red skin tight singlet, with brown heel boots. Good choice mom.

I put the clothes on and walked out, Newbie was leaned up against a wall waiting for me. I really needed to learn his name soon.

"You ready?" He asked nodding in direction if the courthouse. I looked towards it for a few seconds before looking back at him. He was already staring at me, clearly awaiting my response.

"Yeah let's go," I mumbled and started walking towards the stairs that lead to the entrance, not waiting for him to respond, but he did follow.

We climbed the stairs quickly and entered the courtroom.

+ + +

I sat down in-between mother and newbie. There was obviously a thick tension floating in-between me and my mother. Questions wanting to be asked, answers waiting to be told. But not right now it wasn't the place.

"You must be Sasha Night? Well, I'm your lawyer, my name is Lillian rose." Middle aged women stood up from the chair across from me and struck her hand out expecting me to shake it.

Instead, I sat in the chair and stared at her hand making no move to shake it. She mumbled something under her breath and began retracting her hand from my direction. She sat back in her chair and pulled some sheets out of her shoulder bag.

"Alright lets being, I have talked to the town council and judge earlier this morning, we have come to one agreement that doest involves you spending any time in juvie, as your mom requested," She paused "But if you choose to decline this offer your only other option is ten months in the juvenile delinquent facility 3 hours away." I look at my mom, as she nodded taking in the information. Her eyes held deep dark bags under them, she obviously hadn't been sleeping very well, probably because of me.

"Can we please hear the option that doesn't involve juvie? If that's alright." My mother's voice spoke quietly and weakly.

It made my heart ache.

I was going to let her choose between my punishments. If she chooses it will inflict less stress on her, because I will be where she wants me.

"Well, the first option is for Sasha to go back to Rockside and live with her father Luke and her brother Nathan. Until the end of this school year which would be 8 months. Then if she has managed to keep out of trouble and get reasonable grades. She can come home, but if she breaks the law in any way or causes any trouble. She will either stay at Rockside longer or go straight to the second option which is juvie. It depends on how drastic the problem is."

By the time Lillian had finished talking, I was breathing roughly and glaring at the table trying to calm myself. Going back to that place was not an option in my book. I couldn't face those people. There was too much dark history. Mom would surely understand. Right?

"I would like to take the first option. When will Sasha have to depart by?" My head snapped up towards my mother, she can't be serious. I would rather go to juvie for 3 years then back there! I glared venomously at the side of her head. How could she do this to me? She knows how painful it is for me to think about that place let alone return to it.

"Great, well I had a feeling that you would choose that option. But there is a small catch," Lillian passed and by now I was furious, a fucking catch! What now!

"Sasha must have a police monitor such as Damian, follow her everywhere, other than into private facilities, such as bathrooms and bedrooms. This is to ensure the safety of others when around an unstable delinquent like Sasha. We have already contacted Damien, In-fact he is next to Sasha right now if you would like to introduce yourselves." I turned slowly towards Newbie or should I say, Damian, It all made sense for me now.

"Would Damian be living in the same house as my daughter?" My mother's voice easily showed the shock that flowed through her.

"Yes he is expected to, is that alright?" My mother looked at newbie and he looked back they were both obviously sussing each other out.

Mom turned back to Lillian and sighed nodding her head up and down.

"Alright sign here and we will contact Luke, Sasha's father straight after this meeting. Sasha and Damian are expected to leave on the plane trip to Rockside tomorrow at 3.00pm."

This can't be happening, I can't go back there. I won't. I wanted to scream for my mother not to sign the contract. But I couldn't, in the end, it was up to her. I had to respect her choice. My heart stopped as the pen touched the paper and she scribbled down her signature. It was done. I'm going back and there is nothing I can do to change it.

vote 💫
comment ⌨️