Chapter 42: {Threats}

SASHA

He's not dead.

I ran through the familiar corridors of the sickening hospital. I used my adrenaline rush to push pass a couple of nurses in my frenzy. They left a string of profanities trailing behind me, but it didn't threaten my happiness.

Nathan is awake.

My smile was wide enough that I could honestly say that I resembled the Joker or purge mask.

My feet padded in rhythm across the cream colored hospital floor; my heart jumped with each steep.

Then, I finally made it, my stomach tingled as I reached the door which was now the only thing blocking me from embracing my brother.

It was evident that a lot of people where in Nathans room, shadows loomed through the cracks of the windows and under the bottom of the creaky door.

My fingers slapped against the door of my brother's holding room. I shoved the door out of my way and stumbled in grabbing the attention of every single flipping person.

The loud chattering room had become quiet enough, that my ears could even pick up on the shrill heart beat monitor a few rooms down. Talk about awkward silence.

I ignored the looks as my eyes made contact with Nathans a smile took over his features, matching my own. Nathan opened his arms without a word and gestured for me to give him a bear hug. Like heck was I going to deny that. I leaped into the arms of my eldest and only brother. It's been too long.

He squeezed me into his body I held back a whimper as I began to feel my organs slowly exploding in my stomach, still, stupidly, couldn't bring myself to push him away. When did I get so emotional?

"Hey Sasha," He mumbled through my hair, his voice was beyond croaky but it was still beyond comforting to hear it after all this wasted time.

Suddenly the door swung open, and another body flung itself in. I rolled my eyes not needing to move to know who it was. Hm, I wonder where I got my dramatic characteristic from?

"Mom..." Nathan cracked out he was silenced as mom wrapped her arms around both of us; her peachy perfume welcomed us both like a warm blanket.

I would have sighed in content or something cheesy like that but something was off. My eyebrows furrowed together and I came to a sudden conclusion, someone was missing. I pulled away just enough so that I could glance around the small room full of smiling people.

My eyes were searching for ones very similar to my own. I couldn't stop myself as a grin took over my features. I saw him, quietly standing behind the others. His eyes set on his shoes. A slouch to his posture and a vulnerable look to his mournful features. For once, he wasn't hiding his emotions.

"Dad?" I called.

His head snapped up at the sound of my voice, then like a comical moment all the attention in the room turned to him, dad stood straighter putting a fierce look on his face. I felt Nathans body tense. Dad pushed his feelings back and away from exposure, once again.

"Yes?" He asked, giving me a puzzled look. Behind the shields of his man pride, I saw his hope. I asked him without words but with my eyes, If he would please come over to the family hug. Dad's eyebrows immediately shot up, Nathan tightened his grip on mom and me.

"Sasha are you insane?" He muttered, I elbowed him in the ribs sending dad an award winning smile. I could tell he wanted to embrace Nathan; he may have been better at concealing it than I am.

He may act all tough and intimidating.

But, hidden behind that charade of 'I don't care' I could see the last few weeks have been just as hellish for him as they have been for me. Sure. I haven't forgotten the past. And I won't. But I still I want this family to have a chance. I am done holding grudges; I am done treating people like trash. I needed my family just as much as I hoped they need me.