chapter | thirty-five

comment ⌨️vote ⭐️

comment ⌨️
vote ⭐️

nathan's POV :

You know how in every movie, where the hero's eyes meet their ultimate enemy and it seems as if they stare into each others soul, they both freeze and time slows down?

Yeah, well, that never happened for me. And I was never a hero.

Seeing Chase only heightened all of my seven senses, time sped up and for once everything was obvious, I knew, what I had to do.

The foggy thoughts in my head cleared and I was left starring at the facts; I have to kill chase and now may be the only chance I have.

I thought over my plan.

Chase moved forward ever so slightly and I realized that I have only a few seconds to make the first step before he does. We stalked around each-other like circling lions, our eyes locked on- one-another, an unspoken metaphor that whoever breaks eye contact first, will inevitably be the one to lose this fight.

For the first time in my life, I realized that there was one thing that I didn't know now nor did I ever, about Chase my old best friend, one characteristic I never had to look for until this very moment.

His weakness.

What is it?

My thoughts were cut off with the unmistakable feeling of a bony rough fist connecting with my left cheekbone; my face immediately burned, that would undeniably leave a mark. The metallic taste of my own blood was quick to spread though my mouth; my head snapped to the side.

I stupidly got distracted and gave him a perfect opportunity to attack, and sure as hell, he wasn't going to let that opportunity go to waste.

Chase was quick to back up his punch to my face, with a few to my ribs and stomach.

All perfectly in rhythm and stained with precision. I felt my breath be stollen from my lungs and I was left chocking for just one breath of air; that I never realized was so precious until now.

I tried to reagin composure; I look a shaky step back before moving forward and connecting my leg with the back of his knee, shocking him and sending him falling to the ground.

Chase hit the floor, and the crowd erupted into cheers, I stood over him, ignoring the pain of my clearly broken ribs. I have to finish this, for Sasha, for Sophie.

For the only family, I have left on this sorry excuse of a world.

I continued to repeatedly connect my legs with Chase's stomach as he lay on the floor.