chapter | twenty-five

comment ⌨️
vote 💫

"Sasha," Damian gritted out warningly a pit of anger bubbling in his eyes, I brought my cup of warm tea back to my lips and took a slow sip of the hot relaxing drink, all the moment not breaking eye contact with fuming Damian. I chuckled absentmindedly only adding to his obvious anger, he chucked his cup of untouched tea on the ground.

The glasses smash echoed through the room, I slowly put my cup back down and scratched the back of my head nervously only now realizing my mistake of teasing the beast.

"Damo! D-bag! Sister from another mister! Oh. Wait, no- I meant brother from another mother! You get what I mean, cause like; um I'm gonna stop now." I rambled, nervously. There's no way in hell I'm gonna get outta this one alive.

Damian rolled his eyes and sipped his coffee, as soon as I walked in the door I was welcomed with him sitting with pre-made warm drinks and a crazy murderous look on his normally calm face.

"I'm sorry, Damian," I mumbled and dropped my gaze to the table, I did actually feel a tiny bit bad; no don't get ahead of yourselves, I'm not becoming a softy. I just felt a little bit bad for him, I can see from the bags under his eyes I'm destroying his good nature, stressing him out.

"No you're not!" He barked out and I stiffened visibly, shocked. I tried to protest, but he cut me off immediately.

" Just stop saying sorry if you don't mean it. What if you running of today caused you to get hurt?! I would never forgive myself, Sasha... Because me being your police supervisor or whatever you want to call it. It Doesn't  change the fact that you some how ended up being my best friend and that I genuinely care about you!! Even if you didn't get hurt- which lucky you haven't, I could get fired because of this. And you could get stuck with someone who's a lot worse than me." He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

I found myself moving towards him, trying to comfort him. But honestly, I didn't know how too. I fucked up. Sure the race was fun but it wasn't worth losing someone who I care about and who cares about me. Someone who cares about me....

He cares.

"I-I don't know what to say, Damian," I tried to reach out to him but he flinched back.

"Your know Sasha? Through the same amount, if the time I have spent with you, I realized something. Wanna know what I think about you Sasha night?" He spat out with thick distaste, my heart tightened and my palms grew sweaty.

Damian took me not responding as a yes, but I don't think I wanted to say yes. I knew it was gonna hurt.

"I think you're a broken girl. Or your are just stuck up on the idea that you are, yes Sasha you have lost a lot more than most people. I see it in your eyes you have secrets, don't we all? Your secrets swim around in your head; you do your best to keep them in there because you're  scared that if people know them, they will think of you the same way your think of yourself." Damian stared at me, finally snapping.

"You're destroying yourself Sasha!" He yelled; on the brink of tears.

"Damian-" I mumbled but he stopped me again.

"No Sasha listen to me for once; please just listen." He pleaded desperately, I nodded silently in response.

"Sasha, I know you were hurt once, badly, People who get hurt and live with pain, they are the ones who lose themselves and do reckless stupid things hurting the ones around them." I frowned, but let Damian continue.

"You live in your past Sasha, you don't think about what you are doing, ever. Because the only thoughts that run through your head are the memories that hurt you. Yes, I know- pain changes people. But love can change them back."