chapter | twenty-four

comment ⌨️
vote 💫

I tightened my grip on the black leather steering wheel. A familiar rush of excitement flowed through my veins. I'm in love with the rush. I couldn't help but chuck my head back and laugh. For once I was free. No expectations to live up to, no one to judge me. Just raw freedom, finally I had grabbed my fair share and I wasn't planning on letting it slip through my fingers any time soon.

The alcohol in my blood-steam clouded my senses, probably made me even more crazy than normal. But I didn't care, In this moment I didn't care about anything. I had control of my own life and I was going to do what I want with it from now on.

People around my car partied their lives away leaving their own dark pasts behind them, forgetting their own problems.

Everything moved in slow motion and I realized these were my people.

With each jump to the beat, scream of excitement, kiss of a stranger and puff of whatever they were smoking. It all worked together to help them get loose, to help remind them what they had to live for.

The base of the loudspeakers shook the dusty floor of the race tracks. Women and men of all ages danced sweat slowly trickling down their faces and bodies, coating their hair making them seem glossy.

I jumped in my car seat and finally remembered what I was doing here. A stranger tapped on my car window once again after the first failed attempt at getting my attention, I squinted my eyes to try and identify the features of the person on the other side of the tinted window.

I smirked up at the teenage boy and slowly put my window down to greet him.

"Why hello there! What may I do for you today?" I asked the guy. A cute sideways smile grew onto his face showing his dimples. If it weren't for his heavily tattooed body (mainly around his arms and neck) I would classify him as your classic next door neighbor kinda boy. His teeth pristine white making his smile even more mesmerizing. His floppy blonde hair kept falling in his eyes as he leaned over my car.

"You ain't usually the kinda girl we get asking for a race," He paused to chuckle "what's brought you here tonight feeling extra adventurous?"

"I guess you could say that. Are you here to tell me when my race starts?" I turned my head to the side.

"Yes, I am as a matter of fact thanks for the reminder chicka! Marcos wants you on the line now. The names Snake by the way."

"Is that your real name or is it special for the streets?" I asked him.

"No one has a name around here. You go by your nickname, the streets is where you forget who you are. Free to be the person you want! It's fan-fucking-tactic!" He stepped back from the car and gestured around us to the crazy people of all ages doing whatever they want.

I smiled and laughed at the self-proclaimed Snake.

"Well, in that case, Mr Snake" He laughed and rolled his eyes, "you can call me BW."

"BW hmm," He tested the way it rolled off his tongue and brought his hand up to tap his chin in thought, I observed his hand and the massive skull tattoo covering his knuckles, "can I ask what that stands for?" He leaned forward again a little more, almost too close for my liking but I made no move to push him back, a cheeky smile took over his face, "Promise not to tell."

"It seems we might just be out of time Snake, after all, your a big boy I'm sure you can work that out. See you at the starting line. Don't get too upset when I kick your arse!" I turned the engine on and pushed on the accelerator, making it purr under my feet.