Chapter 50 - Epilogue

E I G H T -  Y E A R S - L A T E  R

My daughter has so many of my traits, and none of it is helping right now. 

"Sophie!" Vesper cries as he chases our daughter down the stairs and into the kitchen, the five-year-old demon in the form of child laughs and continues to duck and crawl away every time her father makes a move to catch her. 

Her perfect amber coloured ringlets bounce behind her as she suddenly turns and runs in the direction of me, her palms outstretched and vomit coloured green painted on them. "Oh no, you don't!" I scream horrified as she grows close enough to get her dangerous little hands on my clothes. 

Just as she jumps to attack Vesper scoops her up, and gently throws the giggling little troublemaker over his shoulder. His handsome smile grows across his face, clearly proud of himself for saving my white jeans, I roll my eyes and give him a peck. 

Then I gesture to the back of his shirt where Sophie was currently whipping her hands over the fabric and seemingly quite amused when doing so, "Baby, I think you are going to need to get changed before the lunch." 

The smile washes off his face, "Why does this look bad, shit. Uh, what shou-" I cut off his ramble ramage with another peck on the lips. 

"You look great, but I really don't think a green splattered shirt is a great fashion statement for Nathan and Cassey's Chrismas party. You are welcome to try and escape Cassey, the fashion critic if you want." 

He frowns, "Nope that doesn't sound to fun. I'll change, and I will make sure Ms Troublemaker gets cleaned up." 

Sophie playful squirms on Vespers shoulder as he trudges up the stairs, purposely trying to frustrate him but with the amount of pure love he feels for our daughter, I doubt that's impossible.  

"Mooooooommmmmmmmmm!" 

"Sshhhaaaaaaaaannnnneeeeee!" I hear the familiar huff of a frustrated seven-year-old boy as he stomps into the kitchen a bright blotch of green across his cheek. I attempt to be a mature parent, but a laugh escapes my lips when I realise what got him pouting. A tint of pink flushes his cheeks, and he frowns but humour swirls in his eyes. 

I try and sober up my giggles, but the evidence still lies in the upwards twitch of my lips. I grab a rag and walk over to him and cup his cheek angling it upwards. I press the damp cloth to his cheek and pat away the paint; he watches me with the green eyes that belong to his father. 

"Sophie got to you before your father could get to her?" I asked wiping away the final layers of green. He nods, and a sour look overtakes his baby face. 

"She so annoying. I hate her," Shane complains. 

His eyes widen suddenly at the stern look that I give him, "Shane, she is your little sister, and she loves you, you both need to protect each other no matter what. Be thankful that you have her, and don't ever say you hate her because deep down you know that you don't, okay?" 

He drops his eyes to his hands and fiddles with the scruff of the bottom of his shirt, "I know mommy, I'm sorry." 

I kiss the top of his head and brush the hair out of his eyes, "Hey, don't be sorry. We all make mistakes. Now go get changed." He rushed up the stairs, and I turned to continue preparing the food. Around ten minutes later all three members of my family are downstairs and ready to leave, I hand Vesper the cheese platter and pick up Sophie. 

Shane rushes out the front door first, eager to see his cousin while Sophie pouts in my arms angry that she is going to have to socialise. Sophie wasn't like most five-year-olds, she didn't have a hyper attack at the park or bounce around making friends or even like talking to people. She turned into a quiet little shy shell of herself whenever we left the house, hence why the five-year-old was currently pouting and glaring at the side of my face like she was hoping she would be able to mind control me into returning home.