Chapter Four: Comfort

Nine Crimes Chapter Four

Arriving back home with both of my kids, I look at them as I sit them down at the kitchen table. "Now, neither of you can tell mommy that daddy got Taco Bueno for dinner," I said as I laid the bag on the kitchen table and got each of their respective food items out.

"If you do, daddy is going to be in big trouble with mommy," I say as I look at both of them. Shepherd just eyes me curiously and shrugs before digging into his meal. I really have to say, I may love him the most just because he acts so much like myself.

Junia keeps eying me and I chew on my lip. She is a little Kate in the making. "But why will you be in trouble?" she asks me, her blue eyes wide with wonder.

I sigh and stare her down, "Because mommy wears the pants in this marriage," I tell her though I know she won't understand the meaning in my words.

Junia just makes a face before laughing, "You are funny daddy," she smiles as she turns away from me and starts to eat her own food.

Sitting down at the table too, I take my food out, glad that Junia is no longer questioning me. All I can do is hope that she doesn't tell Kate when she sees her Monday that I let them eat fast food. Kate is against our children eating fast food, though there are times when I sweet talk her that she gives in and lets us all eat fast food.

Before I know it though, we all finish eating and I allow the kids another hour to play. An hour that Kate would be making them get ready for bed. Obviously I'm the least responsible parent and this is why Kate rarely leaves me alone with them.

After the kids have ran off and I finish throwing away our trash, I hear the phone ring and walk to pick it up, not even checking the caller id. It's a habit which Kate hates. She says I should always check it, mainly so I don't answer one of the many spam calls we get.

"Hello," I speak into the receiver.

"Zac," my mother-in-law Becky's voice comes from the other side and I cringe internally at how grating it is. She is worse than Kate when it comes to talking.

I force a smile, thankful that she can't see me. "Hey, Becky. How is Kate?" I ask wondering if her flight has made it in yet. "I was wondering if she was going to call when she got to your house."

After my question, the phone goes silent and I almost think that Becky has hung up until I hear her clear her throat. "She isn't at my house Zac," she informs me sounding confused. "I wasn't even expecting her to come in for a visit. I was calling just to check up on her. I hadn't heard from her in a few days."

"Oh," I say as I go silent now. Kate isn't going to visit her mom which means she has lied to me about where she is. Fuck. "I..umm I'll let her know you called," I whisper before hanging up and moving to the floor. I'm in shock. All the typical signs of a cheater were there but why didn't I catch them.

My wife is cheating on me and I'm the last one to know it seems. Okay, well maybe not the last one to know because I highly doubt anyone else does too, including Natalie.

The moment I think of Natalie I feel guilty. Guilty for cheating with her and guilty for coming to my own conclusions on Kate. I have no right to be angry or hurt by Kate's actions, especially when I am in the same boat as her, yet I am. I am angry but I think I'm more hurt in this moment. I'm hurt that I'm apparently not good enough for her, especially since I have been trying for six almost seven years to be her perfect husband.

"Fuck," I whisper feeling tears stinging at my eyes as my heart shatters. I'm not a perfect husband and obviously I'm not the one who can satisfy her needs anymore, otherwise I would be. I would be satisfying her and not Natalie.