Chapter Sixteen: Voicemail

Nine Crimes Chapter Sixteen

Hearing shouting coming from downstairs, I wake up with a jolt and jump even more when something hard falls. Raising my eyebrow, I get out of bed and slip on a pair of jeans before heading downstairs.

When I get downstairs, I am greeted by Taylor in the kitchen, a skillet standing just mere inches from his feet and he is glaring at Natalie, though his glare soon turns to me when she leaves the room. "Fucking bastard," he spits out as I reach where he is standing.

"What?" I ask confused why he is calling me a bastard right now. What could I have done to set him off? "Why are you calling me a bastard?"

Taylor keeps glaring at me and I back away from him, scared that he may kill me at this rate. "You are fucking my wife," he says and I feel my heart stop at his words.

I shake my head, maybe if I deny it he will believe me, "I'm not fucking Natalie," I squeak out as I lock eyes with him. "What makes you think I am fucking Natalie?"

"How about the fact that she went to sleep in your bed last night," Taylor states and I look away from him. "She tried to tell me she woke up in the wrong bed but I know you wouldn't let her sleep in your bed Zac," he frowns as he shakes his head. "You wouldn't, you would have felt her and woke up."

He had a point and I knew it. I would have woken up and made Natalie go to her own bed under any other circumstances, but what had happened last night wasn't any other circumstances. Natalie and I had fucked around like we always do and then she had came into my bedroom, which I was still confused about.

"I guess it was one of those nights where I was sleeping really deep Tay," I lie. It's the best thing I know to do. "We aren't messing around behind your back, I promise. I wouldn't do that to you," I smile, trying to hopefully cover up the nervousness that I feel. "Please trust me."

Taylor sighs and runs a hand through his hair, "I...fuck, I do," he admits as he walks to the table and sits down. "But it just looked so suspicious, seeing you laying there with your arm around her waist. Holding her like I do."

I frown as I watch him, hating that I didn't just kick Natalie out of bed. But damn it, I love her and I love spending any moment I can with her, even if my brother gets hurt in the process. "If she gets drunk again and comes to my room I promise I will kick her out."

"You better," he laughs as he looks at the skillet laying on the floor. "Or I will throw that at you like Natalie did me."

I laugh at that and raise my eyebrows, "What did you say to get that thrown at you?"

Taylor blushes as he looks back at me, "I called her a slut who didn't care that she was ripping my heart out," he shrugs. "I know I had no right to because basically I'm the slut ripping her heart out."

I nod my head in agreement, not liking the reminder that Taylor's actions hurt Natalie. It's another reminder that she is his wife and that she will never be mine.

"I should go apologize," Taylor says to me as he stands from the chair and leaves the kitchen, the skillet still lying in the floor.

After he leaves, I sit at the table for a bit, but eventually decide to stand up. Picking up the skillet, I put it back where I know Natalie keeps it and then I go upstairs. I figure I might as well start looking for my own place today. Being here with Natalie and Taylor is obviously causing problems with them and I feel like it's just going to be torture for me to have to watch Natalie with Taylor. I can't watch the woman I love with the man she loves.