Chapter Twenty-Four: Birthday Number Two

Nine Crimes Chapter Twenty-Four

Several months have passed since I started this affair with Bethany. In those months I have continued to grow farther away from Kate who actually seems saddened by it which shocks me.

I have also drawn away from Natalie. She has went back to Taylor and I really think it's best that I let their marriage work out, not falling victim to the train wreck my life would bring it. Though distancing myself from Taylor has been harder especially since we have been back on the road.

Today though we aren't on the road, we are in Tulsa and it seems the baby has decided to come earlier than it should have. Kate wasn't due for at least another week.

"Zac," Kate's voice says bringing me out of my thoughts. I turn to look at her, seeing her making a face as she holds her stomach. She is the only woman I know who makes giving birth look like a piece of cake.

"Yeah?" I ask her as I move closer to the bed. This pregnancy has been hard for me, especially ever since I found out Taylor could have been the father. Even after knowing I was I just have not been the happiest though I do have to say I love this baby already, I'm just not happy about it.

Kate reaches for my hand, giving it a squeeze, "I just want to know that you are here," she smiles softly. The smile almost reminds me of the woman I fell in love with and married. Sadly though I think she is gone.

I squeeze her hand back, "I'm here Katie," I assure her as we lock eyes.

Kate nods sadly but doesn't say anything else because her doctor chooses then to come in. I stay by her side as I watch him cheek her to see how ready she is.

"Well Mrs. Hanson," the doctor states as he looks up at Kate. "It would seem that in a matter of minutes you can start pushing. I just need to get everything ready for you," he smiles at her so sweet. He probably thinks she is a perfect little angel when she isn't.

After he leaves the room I look at Kate, "I need to go tell everyone," I sigh as I let go of her hand. "Especially Isaac and Taylor."

Kate just nods not protesting. I guess she knows me well enough to know I will do it anyway.

Leaving the room I head down to the waiting room where I find my family. Every single one of them, even though it is going on two in the morning. Spotting Natalie asleep with her head on Taylor's shoulder I hate myself for being jealous. I'm not supposed to want her anymore but damn it I miss her.

"How are things?" my mom asks as she looks up at me when she spots me.

I give her a smile, "Kate is about to start pushing," I answer her. "The baby should be here at any minute after that hopefully."

My mom just grins, taking on her cell phone. I am sure she is probably texting her friends telling them the good news. That any minute now her next grandchild will be born.

Isaac stands up, walking over to me, "Taylor and I are going to have to catch that flight to St. Louis soon."

"I know," I nod. I knew they probably would have to leave without me. "I'll catch the next flight whenever I can," I smile before turning away from him. Going back down the hall towards Kate's room.

When I get there I see the doctor is back with a couple of nurses. "Is it time?" I ask Kate on my way to her side again. This time she doesn't even have to take my hand, I grab hers.

"It is time," Kate smiles as she squeezes my hand. "We were all just waiting on you to get back.:

Letting her squeeze my hand I bite my lip but stay silent. In my silence Kate starts pushing, each push bringing more pressure on my hand.