Chapter Twenty-Six: Costume

Nine Crimes Chapter Twenty-Six

Licking my lips I sit on the couch at Isaac's house. It's his and Nikki's annual Halloween party and I'm nervous. I know Natalie will be here with Taylor. I'm not sure I want to see Taylor and I'm even less sure I want to see Natalie. I know I had decided on taking Isaac's advice but how did I even go about that? Also I was unsure if Taylor had told her yet that he was Abraham's father. That he had lied along with Kate about me being the dad.

"Penny for your thoughts Thor," a voice speaks causing me to come out of my thoughts. Beside me on the couch is Bethany. She is wearing one hell of a Harley Quinn outfit.

Trying to think of something to keep me from getting turned on I look away from her. "How did you even know about this party?" I ask knowing I didn't tell her about this. There was no way in hell I had unless I did it while drunk, then I guess there was a way in hell I had told her.

Bethany laughs as she puts a hand on my leg. "Taylor told me," she says as if I should have known. "He said I should come and try to make amends with you. He seemed really upset after you caught us together."

"I was upset," I sigh, my eyes closing as her hand travels up my leg. Reaching down I move her hand off my leg. "I was going to tell you that I am divorcing Kate, that we could try a real relationship Beth. I mean I do have feelings for you."

Bethany goes silent once I tell her I have feelings for her. "But do you love me?" she asks almost too quite.

Frowning I shake my head no. I may have feelings for her but I don't love her. I can't bring myself to love her when I'm already in love with Natalie. It's like trying to force myself to do something yet failing at it.

"Then we shouldn't be in a relationship Zac," Bethany speaks and I turn to look at her. She seems so calm, much calmer than I would have imagined. "There is someone else in my life anyway," she shrugs as she looks down, her hand going up to brush away some of her fallen hair. "My ex-boyfriend from Kentucky, Austin, he is moving to Tulsa. I think we may try to make things work."

Nodding my head when I hear her I am not sure why this information makes a tiny piece of my heartbreak. I am also happy for her. Happy that it seems like she may have a chance to be happy with someone else, someone who isn't as fucked up as me or my brother. It's what she deserves even if she is slightly crazy herself.

"I am happy for you," I smile hoping she can't tell it is partly fake. "You deserve to be happy and be with someone who will love you."

Bethany grins leaning over to peck my lips softly, "I will always still love you too," she whispers as her lips go to my ears. "I may have to keep those naked pictures of you in that vest for my spank bank."

I can't help it when I laugh at that. "You can keep them," I smirk after she moves away. "It just sucks I never got to have any naked pictures of you to keep for my spank bank," I pout playfully before shaking my head.

Bethany just shakes her head, "You are crazy Zachary," she sighs before standing up. "Crazier than I am," she shrugs before walking away.

Looking away from her I swallow hard when I see Kate walk through Isaac's front door. I hadn't talked to her much since I had told her I was filing for divorce. We had just been going through our normal daily routines, talking as little as possible. Heck when I left tonight she hadn't even mentioned that she was coming or wanted to come. I figured she'd just stay home with the kids, especially Abraham.

Standing from the couch I walk over to her, meeting her at a half way point. "What are you doing here?" I ask through gritted teeth. I try not to let my eyes wander over her body because for once she has dressed in something sexy. Something that shows off what remains of the curves she still has thanks to her pregnancy.