Chapter Seven: Birthday

Nine Crimes Chapter Seven

Two months have now seemingly passed since I have started my affair with Natalie. Two whole months, though the last month Natalie has been pulling away from me. She no longer texts to meet up and she ignores my phone calls to her. I'm not even sure why but it hurts. My wife is still giving me the cold shoulder with sex and now Natalie, the only one who gave me any attention sexually lately is now doing the same.

"Zac," Kate's voice yells breaking through my thoughts and I turn to look at her. "Can you help me get things ready downstairs?" she asks as she raises an eyebrow. "The guests are going to be here soon for Shepherd's birthday and the living room still looks like a mess."

I just nod and stand from our bed, "Sure babe," I force a smile as I walk past her, briefly pecking her lips. She has still been taking trips out of town so I know she is still cheating on me, but I just don't feel like I have any right to call her out on it and I love her too much to call her out, or at least I think I do.

I hear Kate's footsteps behind me and I sigh. I know it's wrong but I almost wish she'd let me do this on my own, but she probably fears I'll make a worse mess of the living room than it already is. "You know Zac," Kate starts. "I can see the outline of the darn nipple ring through your shirt. I still don't understand why you got it. It looks awful on you."

Rolling my eyes, I turn to face Kate once we make it downstairs, "I got it because I wanted to be cool, hip, you know," I shrug seeing Kate isn't buying it. "Or I'm just having a midlife crisis," I lie. The real reason I got the nipple ring is because Natalie asked me too. Saying it would be hot and that she'd like to pull on it during sex. And I obliged, for some reason I just can't tell Natalie no.

Kate rolls her eyes as well but doesn't say anything else and we clean up the living room in peace. After it is clean, Kate excuses herself upstairs to as she says, go change into something that doesn't show off her barely there baby bump. She is now four months pregnant and showing just a bit, if you look at her stomach just right.

When she leaves, I just sit on the couch and run a hand through my hair. I know the guests will soon start showing up, and among them will be Natalie and Taylor. I'm hoping that I can get Natalie alone at some point and confront her on why she is ignoring me.

Hearing the doorbell ring, I stand from the couch and go to answer it. Once I have it open, I smile as I come face to face with Natalie and Taylor, all of their kids, except for Willa who Taylor is holding on hips, come running inside, right past me. I swear all four of them are little ninjas.

"Come in," I tell them, moving aside so they can. "Your kids already have."

When they both come in, I shut the door behind them and see Kate coming down the stairs. Her attention immediately going to Natalie who she drags off into the kitchen with her. I just sigh and hope this isn't how the rest of the day will go. Kate staying glued to Natalie's side, but then again they are known for that. Being glued together at events.

Looking at Taylor, I start to say something but the doorbell sounds again and I turn, answering it. This time being greeted by Nikki and Isaac. Once they are in, their kids run upstairs and Isaac and Nikki engage in a conversation on the couch.

It seems after Isaac and Nikki's arrival everyone else shows up and my job has now become that of answering the door and greeting everyone, some of whom I don't even know and I suspect Kate has met through her various mom groups and play dates she signs up for with the kids.

Once everyone has shown up, the party gets under way and soon I seem to be surrounded by a bunch of kids and people I know as well as strangers. Natalie is no longer stuck to Kate's side though, in fact Kate has disappeared, leaving Natalie in charge of the kids and making sure Shepherd opens up all his presents. As I look around, I also notice Taylor is gone and Willa is glued to my mom. I suspect Taylor has probably snuck out to smoke since he knows Kate hates smoking inside of the house.