Chapter Twenty-Seven: Leaving

Nine Crimes Chapter Twenty-Seven

Packing up the last of my clothes in the bedroom I turn around jumping when I see Kate standing in the doorway. I haven't seen her since the party last night which is shocking considering we did both come back home and it's now three in the afternoon. I'm really not sure how we managed to avoid each other that long.

"Are you sure about this Zac?" Kate asks her voice coming across cold and unloving. If she is trying to get me to stay she sure doesn't sound like she really means it. Maybe me telling her about Bethany was the final nail in the coffin for us. Maybe she has finally come to realize that we aren't right anymore, especially after all the hurt we have done to each other this past year.

I nod my head trying to avoid her gaze, "I'm sure Katie," I nod again picking up the bag. "The rest of my bags are in my truck already and I signed the lease for my old apartment the day before Halloween so I will at least have a place to go."

Kate just nods, moving out of my way so I can leave the room. "We'll have to decide custody of Shepherd, Junia, and Abraham."

I want to laugh when she mentions Abraham in custody arrangements. The child isn't mine so there is no reason for me to even see him. "Abe isn't mine Kate. If you want a custody schedule for him call Taylor up," I tell her before walking past her. Going down the stairs I open the front door and begin the final walk to my truck.

Putting the bag in the back with the rest of my stuff I then get in and look at Kate who is standing in the porch. Starting the truck up I drive off not even giving Kate one final glance. She isn't worth it in my opinion. She may be the mother of two of my children but I just can not make myself feel anything for her anymore.

Instead of driving to my old apartment I drive to a familiar neighborhood. The one that Taylor and Natalie live in. When I reach their house I pull my truck into the drive way and walk to the porch. Before I can even knock I hear yelling from inside. Very loud yelling. I can barely make out the voices but I know they belong to my brother and his wife.

Taking a deep breath I raise my hand to knock hoping that someone can hear me over their yelling.

Before I can even put my hand down the door is opened by my redheaded nephew who has tears in his eyes, "Uncle Zac," he stammers out his voice so low that I can barely make out what he is saying. "Mommy and daddy have been arguing all day. Daddy made mommy mad and now they just won't stop."

I frown when he tells me about Taylor and Natalie arguing. "Can I come in?" I ask him hoping he says yes. The kids are probably all like Ezra and they need someone here who can stop this arguing before it escalates. I know how Taylor can be when he is mad and I don't want him hurting Natalie.

Ezra nods moving aside so I can come in.

Going in I head towards where the voices are coming from. Upstairs in their bedroom. When I reach their bedroom I find the door cracked so I push it open the rest of the way watching as Natalie throws a vase at Taylor's head.

Taylor narrowly dodges it then he walks over to her, grabbing her by the arms with force, "You stupid bitch," he slurs into her face. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"No, trust me if I was going to kill you I wouldn't do it by throwing a vase at your precious head Taylor," Natalie snaps her voice wavering as she does so. It's apparent she has been crying. "Get out of my house."

Taylor shakes his head, "This is my house too and I'm not going anywhere," he tells her before throwing her down on the bed roughly. It's after he does that, that he looks up at me our eyes locking. He may be drunk but he too has been crying.