Chapter Twenty-Two: Taco Bueno

Nine Crimes Chapter Twenty-Two

Waking up the next morning I open my eyes when I feel my arm around someone's wait. Frowning as I see it's Kate I move my arm away slowly and shake my head. She is the last person who I want my arm around, even if the only time I ever think she could be sweet anymore is when she is sleeping.

Getting out of bed I find some clothes and head into the bathroom for a shower. I'm supposed to be going to the studio again today but I'm not sure if I feel up to it. I am pretty sure Taylor will be there and he will be happy because he followed my advice and got Natalie back.

Turning the water on after I am undressed, I step in and get under the warm water. A sigh escaping my lips as I try to relax some. If I don't go to the studio though, I do need somewhere to go so I can at least get away from Kate for a few hours. As long as I am back by dinner then maybe her mother won't suspect that she is lying but why the hell do I care if she does suspect Kate is lying about things still. I shouldn't care because Kate is blackmailing me into even being here anyway.

Once the shower is over, I get out and dress in a hurry, hoping to leave the house before Kate wakes up. I really am trying to avoid her as much as possible. Though of course my luck can't be that good because as soon as I reach the bottom step and head towards the door I hear footsteps coming out of the kitchen.

"Zac," Kate's voice speaks so soft that I almost wonder if she is actually trying to be nice today. Slowly I turn to look at her. "I made coffee if you want some," she smiles but I can tell it's a fake one.

I shake my head and turn away from her, "I'm not in the mood for coffee Katie. Anyway you know I hate it."

Kate just scoffs but she doesn't protest much which I am thankful for. When I hear her footsteps retreat, I finally make my break and head outside.

Going to my truck I get in but instead of driving to the studio I drive to Taco Bueno for breakfast. At least there I don't have to worry about being stuck with my wife and having to pretend I want this marriage to work between us.

I arrive at Taco Bueno much earlier than I expected I would because traffic today wasn't that bad. Parking my truck I am just about to get out when I hear my phone ring. I know from the ring tone it's Bethany calling me so I reach for it and answer quickly.

"Hello," I speak into the receiver waiting for Bethany to answer me.

"Zac," Bethany answers right away. "I have a free day and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out. I haven't seen you since that night and Taylor and Natalie's and I just kind of miss your face and other parts of your body."

I can't help but laugh at her words, "I miss your face too babe and other parts of your body, mainly your boobs though," I inform her, hearing her laugh. "But I would love to hang out. Can you meet me at Taco Bueno. The one that is like down the road from the bar we met at."

"I can," Bethany replies and I hear the phone go dead before I can even reply back.

Shaking my head, I put my keys in the pocket of my jeans before getting out of my truck. Walking inside I sit down at a table to wait for Bethany. I am hungry and want to go ahead and order but I figure being the gentleman may pay off more than going ahead and ordering my food.

Luckily I don't have to wait long because before I know it I spot Bethany walking in. Seeing her looking around I wave once to get her attention and she walks over to me.

"Did you already order?" Bethany asks me as I stand up.

I shake my head no, "I was waiting on you," I smile as I reach down and take her hand in mine, leading the way to the counter.