Chapter 15

Aria's POV-

The doctor told us to check on Junior's fever time to time.Their was a nurse hired by Mrs.Aveiro. She was constantly taking care of junior, doing something with the machines and writing down something on notepad. I was in the kitchen,alone.As I was not allowed to be near junior. My head was pounding and I felt tired. Maybe it's the exhaustion from the journey. I needed fresh air to think properly. I decided to go on a short walk;just to clear my head. I grabbed my jacket and step outside the house. But as soon as the guard saw me,he closed the gate and I guess locked it.That was strange. I went near the exit.

"Can you open the gate? I need to go out." I asked him politely. He seemed confused what to do. I saw that he was trying to say something but couldn't.

"We have orders Mam. You must not step outside the gate." He said looking down at his feet. What?? I screamed mentally. What is this drama.

"Orders by whom?" I asked him.I rub my forehead due to pain,trying to sooth it.

"By Sir. I'm sorry you can't go anywhere." He said.Before I could say anything Judy appears and tells me to calm down.

"Please Aria, get inside. It's really cold and really late now. Just get inside we can talk there." She said and pulled me towards the house. Once we got inside, she insisted to make some coffee for me.

"Aria." Someone called me from behind. James is standing back leaning against the door frame. He looked so unusual this way,his all-time present smile was nowhere to be seen.His hair was a mess and he looked like he could collapse anytime because of exhaustion.

"Cris wants to see you. Come with me please." He said. I had no other option but to agree with him.

"And listen, please don't get offended by whatever he says. You know he is upset and this is probably the worst time of his life." He told me on the way.He stopped at the door and told me to go inside.I open the door and enter in the room. It was very dimly lit.

"Trying to run again,are we?" He asked me,he was sitting on the couch. His face resting on his hands.

"No.I wasn't trying to runaway. I just wanted to get some fresh air." I replied bluntly.

"Aah right. It must be easy for you. Fresh air and all that." He said.

I was too tired to fight. I had enough. "What do you want me to do.You are not letting me see him and you don't let me go out.What should I do?" I sigh.

He didn't say anything. Like he was thinking something. After few seconds;he said,

"I don't want to talk to anyone right now.It was a bad idea. James told me to talk to you. I'm not in the state to talk right now.Please just go.I don't want to see anyone."

I tried to say something but decided that it was best if I just keep my thoughts to myself. I came out and told James his message. I walk past Junior's room.It was sad I was so close to him but couldn't see him.I went in the balcony for some fresh air.Life was so hard here. For the first time I thought that I made a mistake coming here at all.

"Excuse me but is your name Aria?" Asked an unknown voice from behind. I turn around to see the nurse herself standing there. An old lady in her early fortis. She had a warm smile and bright blue eyes. Just like my mom. She reminded me of her.

"Yes,that's me." I said giving her a weak smile. She returned it with her bright one.She came closer and stood beside me,both facing outside.

" I can see the child has much affection for you. He must love you very much. I'm sorry if I am wrong but are you his mother? " she asked me.It was surprising. What made her think that. Sure we had a bond but his mother, it was strange. She must have came to know the answer by my surprised look.

"I am really sorry. I was just curious I didn't mean it in a bad way." She apologized.

"No that's alright. No I am not his mother. I used to be his caretaker. Well now I don't, but what made you think that?" I asked her.

"Oh I saw the drawings he made on the board. You know with you in it.It named Aria that's why I asked you." She said warmly. A little smile crept on my mouth. He made a drawing of me.I wanted to see it but then again I can't go meet him. My smile disappeared.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I can't tell you. It's a long story. But it's kind of mess I made." I said.

"I've been in this field for many years. And I must tell you this secret my dear.For what I have seen,love can cure any disease. It has a magical power in it. I have seen so many miracles dear.I know the boy has affection towards you and you and can help him to get better." She gave me the advice.

"Are you sure?" I asked her disbelievingly. She turned to look at me.

"Ofcourse.You know this hair turned grey because of experience, don't you?" She said and gave a light smile. It felt so good to have someone guide you when everything looks miserable.But there was a problem.

"But I'm not allowed to see him. I do really wish to see him." I sigh.

"Well it's too late and I know nobody is there at the moment. I have been told not to let you come in. But I happen to go to the washroom and you sneaked in and spent sometime with him.I didn't even know it." She said and winked at me. With that she left. Who was that? My fairy godmother? I chuckled at the thought and decided to sneak in Junior's room. I went inside. His room was dimly lit. I went near his bed. He was resting. He looked so fragile. So innocent. I pitted the woman who left him for money. I touched his forehead and it was really hot. I moved my hand to caress his cheek.

"Hey there junior. Look who is here. It's me Aria. Look I'm here. I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. But now I won't go away. Come on open your eyes." I whispered. He didn't show any response.

"I'm sorry I missed your birthday. Can you forgive me? You can give me punishment if you want." I said and kissed his forehead. I just wanted him to get well soon.

"You have to promise that you won't leave me and you'll make chocolate cake for me." My eyes flutter open. He looked at me,his eyes half open. He gave me a weak smile.

"Oh thank God you are awake." I hugged him and kissed his cheeks. He grinned.

"Pinky promise?" He asked.

"Pinky promise!" I exclaimed.

"I missed you Aria."

"I missed you too. You have no idea."

Suddenly the door opened. "What's this noise I am hearing?" The nurse came in and when she saw that junior was awake her eyes widened.

"Goodness gracious! He is awake. See I told you about miracles!!" She came and checked his temperature. Her smile widened.

"His temperature is decreasing!!" She said. "I must call his father and Grandma." She said. She went outside. Junior closed his eyes again.

"Are you ok?" I asked him feeling concerned. He smiled," I'm alright Aria. I just feel tired and sweaty. " he said. But before I could say anything Mr.Ronaldo burst into room,followed by his mother. I step aside to have them their time. They both were in tears. Mr.Ronaldo took him in his arms and hug him tightly. He mouthed a 'thank you' at me and then Mrs.Aveiro kissed Junior's cheeks. I felt so happy seeing them all happy. All my life I always wondered how must it feel to have a big family. I never really had the chance to see it as it was only me and my mom. But looking at them I felt really happy. I wiped the single tear from my eye.

"Let him rest please. You can see him tomorrow. I am sure he will be fit and fine." She said. They put junior on his bed again and tucked him nicely. As I was walking out I saw that junior was signaling me to come near. I went near and kneel beside him so that he can tell me whatever he wanted to.

"You know what Aria? I think I love you." He whispered in my ear.

"I love you too. Now sleep well. Good night." I told him.

💙