Chapter 3 - Secret

Sally sat on the bed in the room that was once hers. It's now a guest room, but she still claimed it to be her own. The walls were still coated a pale pink, but the furniture, the bed sheets, and the curtains had been replaced. Her toys were all gone and the new dresser was empty. Her butterfly lamp was gone, too, so she was left in the darkness of the room, her memories running through her head. She didn't want to stay in this room for too long.

She hopped off her bed and stumbled over to her window. It was daylight now, so the light spilled into the room immediately after she pulled the curtains open.

There was a police car still in the front of the house. The FBI were examining the scene, trying to find out what happened and who killed the small family. She was lucky that she hasn't been caught just yet. With her small, silent body, she was able to hide from anyone who comes near.

There was a large white van sitting on the street and labeled on it was a name of some news channel Sally didn't recognize. There's a cameraman and there was a woman standing in the front of the house, talking into the camera. She had short, caramel brown hair that was held back with a thin, white headband. The expression on her face was some sort of concerned demeanor, but Sally could see past her act. She must be the kind of woman who only cared for her own job, treating everyone else like replaceable peasants.

Sally glanced over at the bloody knife on the bedside table near her, wanting so badly to grab it and stick it into that woman's neck to shut her up, but then immediately pushed that unsettling thought aside. What is wrong with her? Why is she suddenly so eager to bring pain to others?

She thought that she had quelled that desire and rage several hours ago, but she was somehow unsatisfied.

Sally threw the curtains shut, feeling disgusted with herself, and she turned, grabbing her knife that she couldn't seem to have the courage to leave behind, and left the room. Once she closed the door softly behind her, she began to hear voices.

She peeked around the corner to see two agents not far from her, leaning against a wall and having a conversation.

"It can't be Jeff. There weren't any smiles cut into the victims' faces," one of them spoke with a Southern drawl.

"That doesn't mean it wasn't him. Who else goes around and slaughters people like that?"

"Investigators say the knife wounds are different than the knife Jeff uses. Besides, remember the teenager girl? Her neck was torn out. I've never seen a victim of Jeff's have that kind of wound. It looked like it was by bare hand. And a small one, too."

They were quiet for a few moments.

"It couldn't have been a kid."

The other agent shrugged. "It's possible. The call said that a small girl had been in the house at the same time the murder occured. Haley said the girl killed the daughter."

"There's no way. It'd take a hell lot of strength to rip someone's neck open like that with just hand alone."

Sally looked down at the hand she had ripped that girl's throat out with. Her hand was indeed small, and the blood on it is dry, making her hand feel stiff. She thought about what she did to that girl, the strength and power Sally had possessed that moment as she stole the girl's life. Suddenly, she didn't feel so good.

Sally turned around and walked past the bedroom door to head further down the hallway. She found her parent's old bedroom door and reached up to it, opening it quietly so she wouldn't catch anyone's attention. She peeked in to see a bunch of posters of bands and some cartoons on the walls, then she opened the door some more to see the furniture. There's an unlit lamp on the bedside table, notebooks, and a stereo set on the dresser along with a few random pieces of clothing scattered around the room. The bed was large, covered with a deep blue blanket with intricate designs stitched into the fabric. Sally assumed that this was the room of that teenage girl. Then she stepped in, closing the door behind her and examined the room again.