Chapter 19 - Endless

Eyeless Jack carried Sally back to Jeff's house, and as soon as the worn house was in sight, Jack gently set Sally down. She sniffed and wiped away her bloody tears, leaving trails of dirt on her cheeks.
"Why, Jack?" She whispered, her green eyes looking up to meet his gaze. She still can't see his eyes, but she knows his gaze is there.
He didn't say anything, he just turned to run off into the trees until he was out of sight.
Sally numbly made the rest of her way to Jeff's house, and then entered the back door.
The first floor is empty, probably because Jeff is still upstairs, no doubt in his room. Hopefully he won't see that she's back. She realized that she didn't go to her house. Maybe she'll go there another day.
She glanced towards the kitchen, and as she did, she realized something.
It's been over two months and she hasn't ever gotten hungry. She was never in need of the restroom, nor was she ever really thirsty. Is that a part of her immortality?
Her dulled eyes looked down at the floor wearily and she made her way to the staircase, then went up the stairs.
She walked into the bedroom she's using and closed the door softly behind her.
The music box is sitting where she had left it, but she decided not to worry about that.
The one thing she is worried about though is the fact that she had left her knife back at the cemetery.
Without it, she felt weak and helpless. Nothing to protect herself with, nothing to fight back with.
But wait, she has immortal strength, doesn't she? She managed to stop Jeff from stabbing her and she ripped a teenage girl's throat out with her bare hand. She can fight back without the knife, but she still feels so wrong without it.
The memory of her mother's expression twisted with agony, her eyes shining with tears created by her despair, her voice broken as she called out for her daughter, all swirled in Sally's mind. She bit her lip to keep it from quivering. She made a mistake, she realized, when she stepped forward and into her mother's view.
Now her mother will no doubt try to look for Sally, believing that her daughter really is still here.
Sally shook the thoughts of her mother from her head.
Then, as she sat down on the bed, another thought came to her. If she has immortal strength, how come she can't use that strength to walk properly without wobbling and being in massive pain? She wondered if her very willpower, miraculously, could heal herself?
No. No, that an absurd though. She can't heal, she's dead.
Or...rather undead.
Like a zombie, maybe? Well, she has a conscious, that's obvious. So she's not a zombie...probably.
Then...what exactly is she?
"Monster," Sally whispered softly. She's a monster, an aberration. She's disastrous, repulsive, someone who should be feared and rejected. She's...
Different.
"I'm different," she said, looking down to the floor in front of her. It's dark in the room, but the moonlight lit the small space, so she can see fine.
She sat on the bed, her legs kicking off, and she stared downwards to the floor.
"You're unique."
Sally jumped a bit at the voice and her head snapped up to see Laughing Jack, standing in the darker part of the room.
When and how did he get in here?
He smiled at her and stepped forward, into the beam of moonlight, so his features are easier to see.
Sally tensed up, desperately wishing she had her knife.
"Now now, no need to be frightened, little Sally." He reassured in a smooth voice, but his smile didn't reassure her in any way.
Sally didn't say anything, she didn't trust her voice for the moment. When she didn't speak, Jack did.
"You may be different, but it is a good kind of different. You're special, little one. And the special ones are the ones who will start a change."
He lifted his long arm and pointed towards the window, referring to the world outside. "The world is quite terrible, don't you agree? So, don't you think it needs some changing? The ones who aren't worthy of life, ones who don't play the game right...Don't you think they need punishments? You of all people should understand that. Am I right, Sally?"
Sally cringed and his words felt like daggers piercing deep into her immortal heart. Images flashed in her mind and her body was rigid under the pressure of his gaze and the pressure of the memories. She shoved them away. She can't think about that now.
She still didn't reply, so Jack continued.
"They think of us as sick, a disaster to what they call 'civilization', but they don't understand. It's the other way around." His smile darkened. He looked out the window and into the night. "They are the monsters, and they don't approve of our games. Don't you think we should change their minds?"
He sighed softly when Sally didn't respond, but his wide smile never ceased. "Humans...such pathetic creatures. Vile and revolting. That's why we're here, to help those humans, to change this black world in something new. We're here to make it a much better place." Jack met her gaze. "Doesn't that sound exciting?"
"Why are you here?" Sally finally asked, now standing next to the bed. She looked up at him with a questioning gaze and his smile widened even further.
Jack didn't answer immediately, and he turned to face her. "I've grown bored, and I would really like to have a playmate. Would you like to play with me, Sally?"
Sally blinked at the words. His eyes swirled like an endless void of madness as they stared into hers, and they sent shivers down her spine.
Now is a great time for a weapon, which she doesn't have.
Jack laughed a little. "So, will you, Sally?"
She put the pieces together quickly. So, he wants to hurt her.
She was silent for a bit before she responded, gritting her teeth. "I'm immortal, no one can hurt me, not even you."
He laughed again, this time louder, and Sally tensed up further.
"You're right, Sally..." He said in a dark voice, but then he suddenly flew at her in an impossible speed. Now he's right in her face, glaring into her eyes the very next millisecond.
Sally gasped, but managed to keep her ground, although this surprised her.
"But other immortals can," he finished in a whisper, his ice cold breath blowing over her face.  
Sally realized what he said and her eyes widened, but she just couldn't break her gaze from his. She feels as if she's being pulled into those ice blue eyes, drowning in a cold ocean, consumed by nothing but an overwhelming darkness, madness, and incomprehensible abstraction.

--                                                                         

Sally's eyes snapped open and she gasped, sitting up abruptly from the bed she's laying on.
She fell asleep? How did that happen?
Was it a dream?
She quickly examined the room to see that she's alone.
Sally then looked over at the window to see the sunlight shining in from it.
"But other immortals can."
She remembers those words, still wondering whether or not she was dreaming them.
Then it brought a question to her. Are there other immortals? And if so, can they really hurt her?
Could they kill her?
Then she remembered that Masky did say Slender Man is immortal. Is Laughing Jack immortal, too? Maybe that's what he was referring to.
Does that mean he's threatening her? Threatening to hurt her?
Then Sally realized she can hear something. She looked over at the end of the bed to see that same music box, and it's playing the melody by itself. Before she knew what she was doing, she had moved forward and roughly kicked the box off the bed, hard enough for it to fly into the wall. It shattered surprisingly easily, and it fell silent.
Soon, Sally heard footsteps outside of the room and the melody stopped playing. The door opened and in walked Jeff.
"What the hell was that?" He asked, but once he followed her gaze to the shattered box, he didn't speak of it further. Instead, he looks at her.
"Come on, get up and meet me downstairs." He growled, then he turned and walked out, leaving Sally staring at the open doorway in confusion.
Hesitantly, she pulled herself off of the bed and walked out of the room to follow Jeff.
He was waiting downstairs as promised, and shockingly, no one else is here.
"Alright, listen up." He crossed his arms. "Hoodie and Masky are gonna be gone for a few days, and until they come back, I'm supposed to help you run better and other shit."
Sally tilted her head at him in. Where did they go? And why would Jeff want to help her?
They must have made some sort of deal with him. They're tricky like that.
Sally is curious as to what they compromised him with, but she's not going to get the answer out of this one so soon.
"What are you staring at? Get to the backyard so we can begin," he commanded with an irritated edge to his voice. "I want to get you off of my hands as soon as possible."
Off of his hands? The words only befuddled her further. However, she made her way out to the backyard as told.
So, she is going to be trained to walk and run properly by an infamous killer with an attitude.
Interesting.

--                                                                         

Meanwhile, in an apartment building not too far away from the neighborhood, Ben made his way into a random apartment room, looking for someone who would be worthy as his next victim.
He moved through the cords within the walls expertly, then through a used outlet and followed the wire into a laptop.
Unfortunately, no one is on the laptop, yet. So then Ben decided to look through their files, learn who this belongs to and who exactly they are, cutting through alerts and shutting down the warnings, and sliding past the virus protection.
He swiftly flew through files and then soon found the private folders.
Most of those files are stories, probably for some sort of journalism, and there are several pictures.
The pictures are the ones that caught Ben's eye, especially with one that had a familiar face.
This certain picture is of a mother, a father, and a child. A young girl, to be precise.
He immediately recognized her as Sally, alive with light in her eyes and color in her cheeks, sitting on her father's lap with her mother standing behind them. All three are smiling.
"Interesting..." Ben mumbled to himself, his eyes scanning the picture. Sally has much resemblance with that man and the woman, so they must be her parents. Ben decided to check the account profile of the laptop.
The owner of this laptop, and the person currently staying in this apartment, is someone named Maria Williams.
Sally's mother.

"Very interesting."