Chapter 9 - Obscurity

Sally's eyes slowly fluttered open, revealing her green orbs, blinking from the light of the morning sun that reflected brightly off the white walls.

For a moment, she panicked. Where was she? What happened? Why was she hurting so much?

Before the anxiety really set in, recollection came to her. She's in Jeff's house. Jeff, a killer. She remembered the other men she met last night, too. And the smiling dog, and Jane. She remembered what she had done, the murders she committed. She's a monster.

"You're sick!"

Sally sat up, using her arms to support her. She saw that same picture on the pillow next to her, so she was greeted with the smiling faces of a family that used to be.

Seeing the family made her think of her own. Where were her parents now? What could they be doing at this moment? A wave of sadness and loneliness engulfed her. She missed them so much. She would do anything to see them right now.

Sally swallowed hard and shook her head. She couldn't think about it right now, she shouldn't let herself feel this way. She had something important to do.

Allowing her mind to go silent, her gaze glided toward the window where the sun shone through, filling the room with its luminosity. It blinded her for a few moments until her eyes adjusted.

The sunlight gave her chocolate colored hair a golden hue, and the blood that trailed down her face only looked like an unnatural shadow. However, her eyes didn't reflect the light.

She then pulled herself from the bed and stood up. She picked up her knife from the dresser, then walked over to the door, carefully stepping over the pile of glass.

However, just before she could reach up to grab the doorknob, the door suddenly opened and there stood Jeff, looking down at her with a bored but somewhat irritated expression.

"Good, you're awake. C'mon, some buddies are here waitin' to see you," he muttered. His gaze moved around the room, and an odd look came across his face. But then his eyes fell upon the picture sitting on the bed.

His pale, dilated blue eyes stared, focusing on the frame, then they swirled with fury within the very next second. He glared down at Sally. "Where did you find that!?"

Sally looked over at the picture, then looked back up at him. "On the floor."

Jeff looked like he had something to say, but then changed his mind as he gritted his teeth.

"Just go," he told her through his teeth, his fists clenching so hard that they had began shaking.

Sally immediately noticed his anger and quickly chose to get out of his way, stepping around him and out of the room. She walked down the hall, but before she reached the staircase, she glanced back towards the room she came out of to see that Jeff hasn't yet left it.

He told her some "buddies" were waiting for her. Who were they? Were they the same men she met last night? Well, she'll just have to find out. Sally began heading towards the stairs, hearing some voices from that direction.

Jeff, still in the old bedroom, glared at the picture that just sat there on the pillow. The smiling faces stared at him, as if taunting him with the reminder of what he destroyed.

It got the better of him and he strode over to the bed, his shoes crunching on the broken glass. He reaches over and grabs the picture frame, now looking down at the picture.

The edges of his scarred lips twitched, then curled into a snarl. His hands clenched onto the picture so hard it caused the wooden frame to crack, leaving splinters in his hands, but he didn't notice, nor did he care.