Chapter 14 - Consequences

Jeff ran through the streets, wanting to rid himself of this feeling. He needs to satisfy his bloodlust, or he will lose his mind...again. He's already unfocused, detached from the present.
The only thing that can bring him back is to draw blood, to hear the screams from someone desperate to live, to see the hope drain from their eyes as the fear and pain takes over.
He hungers to see those faces, stricken in a state of fear and corrupted by the terrifying truth of death as Jeff penetrates his blade deep into their heart. He wants to watch every second they suffer as their life is stolen from them, as if losing their life brings him back into focus on his own.
He's addicted. Addicted to the thrill, to the taste of blood. It's the only thing keeping him in this reality, the only thing keeping him from falling apart.
Soon enough, he finds two teenagers, one boy and one girl laughing and running along the sidewalk. They share flirty smiles with one another, and then the boy gently pushes against the girl as she leans back against a streetlight pole, smiling as the boy's arms slid around her waist, and she brought her lips to his.
Jeff slowed his pace, approaching the two as the darkness of the night cloaked him. As he creeped towards them, scenarios of how to kill them played in his head. Maybe he should sneak up behind the boy, pierce the knife through his heart, or stomach, from behind. Or maybe he could snatch the girl, press a knife to her throat, and watch the boy's expression change from seduction into shock and, even lovelier, fear.
One thing Jeff loves to enjoy are his victims' reactions. And oh, are they priceless! All he has to do is approach someone with a knife and they immediately become frightened for their, or others', lives.
But then he shook his head in disgust, observing as the boy slid his hands down to grab the girl's rear, and the girl lifts her knee so his hips would fit into hers. The boy kisses down the girl's neck and she moans, tilting her head upwards, her eyes fluttering shut with an expression of bliss spreading softly along her features.
Jeff's hand clenches tightly around the knife, ready to run over there and strike, and then he did the first part; he ran over there.
However, the girl happens to open her eyes in time to see Jeff dashing towards them and she shrieks, shoving the boy off of her.
The boy swirls around and then widens his eyes when he saw the killer quickly advancing.
But then Jeff slows to a walk as he nears them, twirling his knife.
"Don't you two think it's a bit late to be playing around?" Jeff speaks up and chuckled darkly. He's looking at the two, but all he can see is their surprise, their fear, their hesitation. His mind is a blur and he can't focus on anything other than his vile desire.
"Shit!" The guy gasps, and without another moment of hesitation, he turns and runs, leaving the girl behind.
"Jacob!" The girl screams, her eyes widening in shock at his immediate betrayal.
Jeff clicks his tongue a few times as he shook his head. "Pathetic."
Then he dashed forward, and the girl jumps and shrieks, but Jeff ran right past her. However, as he did, he used his knife to cut deeply into the girl's leg so she couldn't run away before he came to get her. She cries out, instantly falling onto the ground since blade had cut deep into her leg muscles, therefore they're too useless to keep her standing.
Jeff chased after the boy named Jacob.
The boy heard the footsteps after him and he attempted to run faster, but no matter how hard he pumped his legs, he was no match for Jeff, who is quickly and swiftly closing in on him.
Jeff reached forward and grabs at the hood of the guy's jacket, then yanked on him. The guy stumbled and almost fell forward, but Jeff's hold kept him still.
Jeff forced Jacob to face him and Jacob obeyed, but he's trembling and lifting his hands up in surrender. His face is pale and sweating as he breathed hard from his adrenaline rush.
"What do you want from me, m-man?" Jacob stuttered. "Food? Money? Drugs?"
Jeff shook his head at the boy before him. "Tsk tsk tsk. One moment you kiss a girl, and in the next you leave her behind to save your own pitiful ass. Your romance is...so fragile. The moment you become scared, you abandon them for your own selfish needs."
Jeff is practically hissing the words, still tightly gripping at Jacob's jacket to keep the boy from escaping his grasp.
"You need to learn a lesson." Jeff snarled with a threatening edge to his tone as his eyes bores into Jacob's.
The boy took a few quick and shaky breaths, his mind spinning with what to reply with. What can he say? He's about to be killed by the most wanted killer in America! But then he saw Jeff begin to pull out his knife.
"O-Okay, okay! I-It was wrong of me! I shouldn't have done that! I...I-I'll change! I promise! J-Just let me go, man! Please!"
Jeff inhaled deeply, practically breathing in the delicate terror that's heavily distinguished in the boy's begging. He can almost feel Jacob's heart beating rapidly, pulsating precious blood throughout his body. Blood that Jeff desires to see pour out of this boy's veins. "Do you really think that's how life works? Always giving you second chances? Heh, no, you don't always get a second chance."
Jeff chuckles, then whispers the last of his words. "'Cause I'm not letting you go until you're dead at my feet."
Jacob's dark eyes widened. "N-No, l-leave me alone, man! I didn't do nothin' to you!"
If Jeff didn't already have a permanent smile scarred on his lips, he would be smiling widely at the boy before him. Then, Jeff lifts knife and gently, oh so gently strokes the side of Jacob's face, from the corner of the boy's lips to his cheek bones, lightly tracing a smile, and further terrifying the boy and causing him to tremble uncontrollably.
"C-Come on, man! Be real with me! Don't do this!"
"Be real? This is real, boy." Jeff growled, the point of the knife now pressing against Jacob's stomach, just below the ribcage.
"Please, I swear I'll-"
He was cut off and ended in a grunt as Jeff plunged his knife deep into Jacob's stomach. The boy coughed, but still managed to keep eye contact. How intriguing.
Jeff watches Jacob's expression fall and the light fade from his eyes. He can hear the scream of horror from girl not too far behind him once she saw Jeff stab her boyfriend.
"Welcome to reality, Jacob." Jeff said, and then he leaned in to whisper in Jacob's ear. "Now, go to sleep."
He shoved the knife deeper into Jacob and he responded with another cough, but this time, blood sputtered from his mouth. Then Jeff abruptly yanks the knife upwards, easily slicing through the flesh.
With that final motion, Jacob's life quickly ended and his knees gave out on him. The only thing keeping him up is the knife that is still deep within him, which began to slide deeper because of the weight. Soon, Jeff pushed the boy off of his knife, and the body collapsed to the ground.
Jeff knelt down and turned the boy so he is laying on his back. Jeff uses a hand to grab ahold of the boy's chin as he began carving into the cheeks, creating a twisted version of a smile.
"There you go," Jeff whispers as he finishes his masterpiece. "You're perfect now."
Jeff stands and lifts the blade to his mouth, his tongue slithering out to glide against the cold blade, licking off a little bit of the fresh blood. The sharp, metallic taste spiked his taste buds and brought shivers to his body. Yes, this is what he wanted. This feeling of exhilaration, of thrill. The feeling of being alive.
He turns around and begins walking towards the girl, who is sobbing and squirming to crawl away, but the wound on her leg denied her wishes.
Jeff laughed softly as he knelt down beside her, meeting her level. She's breathing in quick little pants in both pain and horror. She stares with wide, fearful dark eyes at Jeff.
When Jeff didn't say anything, the girl swallows hard and spoke up in a shaky whisper.
"Why...are you doing this?" She whispers, one tear dripping down her pale cheek. "Why did you kill him?"
"The same reason I kill the rest of you filthy creatures. To...help you." Jeff responded, lifting his knife towards her face, and as he did, the girl whimpered, her glossed lips pressing together tightly as she tried to hold back a sob. Her dark brown hair fell over her face in messy strands.
"W-Why didn't you kill me before you killed him?" She questions. She knows she's most likely going to die anyway, so she wants to know why her killer didn't kill her first.
He tilted his head back and to the side a bit, his eyes still staring into hers. He only looked more psychotic, which scared her even further.
"Why? Didn't you want to see him die? He left you behind to save himself."
She shook her head frantically. "N-No! I didn't want to see him die!"
Jeff sighs apathetically. "Because of your pitiful feelings toward him, I'm guessing? Your little heart should be crushed by now, am I right?"
She swallows again. "W-Why would you want to know that? It doesn't matter, because you're just going to k-kill me, right? Why would you care?"
He shrugged. "Curious. Sometimes I like to know how life is for humanity nowadays." Then, he began laughing. What started as little chuckles turned into uproarious, maniacal laughter and he clutched at his stomach. "But, sometimes, I really, really don't want to fucking know!"
Despite how much of a madman she thought he is, she continued to speak. "When Jacob ran, you said...it was pathetic...why?"
Jeff abruptly stopped laughing and turned his head towards her. "Why? Why? Did you really just ask that?"
She nods, and he spoke. "It's pathetic because he treated you like a pretty little princess, but then he abandons you to save his own ass. Don't you think that it's pitiful?"
"No! B-Because when someone is afraid, of course they'll do anything to survive!" The girl defends. "Even...abandoning people you love."
"You call that love!?" Jeff laughs loudly, rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet as he did.
"Have you ever fallen in love?" The girls asks, questioning the killer further, and now getting more personal, a little too personal. Jeff was beginning to think she's stalling him, but her question caught him off guard. And for some odd reason, he became furious.
Jeff growled and suddenly got closer to her, making her jump, but then he stared her in the eye and pointed at his face.
"Look at this face and tell me someone would have the slightest bit of passion for me," he hisses in an irritated whisper through his teeth.
The girl thought he had a point; in her eyes, his face is frightful, disgusting, repelling. His skin is scarred and leathery from burns and bleached until the skin is ashen. His eyelids are gone, and those pale, maddening eyes are rimmed in a burnt black. Then there's the smile. The carved smile that stretched about literally from ear to ear, but his lips are currently curled into a snarl.
"You...It's not impossible," the girl whispers. "Maybe you'll...find someone who would love you for who you are. Your face, your personality, it...won't matter if it's true lo-"
Jeff couldn't listen anymore. Her voice was annoying to him ever since he heard her moan just minutes ago. He shoves the knife into her throat, cutting off her words. She gagged as blood immediately and profusely poured from her lips.
"Shut up," he growled and slit the knife across her neck, then pulled it out, allowing the blood to puddle around her from the open wound. "And go to sleep."
She collapsed, finally silent as her wide, dark eyes stares blankly at the equally dark sky above her. It took only a skillful moment for Jeff to slit a smile into her face before standing, wiping the blade of the knife on his black jeans to remove the blood.
He stares down at her body, but then a few more words passed his lips.
"I'm not the type to love."
Jeff doesn't want to walk these streets much longer, he knows the police would arrive soon; no way could the girl's screams have gone unheard. As a matter of fact, he can hear the sirens making their way here at the very moment.
And that's not the only reason he wants to get up and move, but also because his mind is filled with thoughts that have nothing to do with bloodlust, or a need to feel.
He can't think clearly, and it's not because of that familiar need. Oh, no, not this time.
Jeff growls under his breath, cursing himself for letting what that senseless girl said get to his head.
He can't ever love, he's convinced that love is impossible nowadays, especially for him. He's a monster, no one would feel any sort of romantic emotion for a monster. He doesn't want that passion anyways.
Nor will he allow himself to feel such an emotion towards some other being. It'll only be a distraction and a waste of time.
"I'd be a complete fool," he muttered, shaking his head and he chuckles under his breath. Jeff sped up into a dash as he moved through the streets, soon returning to his house and walking in.
He must have been out for longer than he thought, because Ben and Sally are now both asleep. Ben is on the floor, leaning back into the front of the couch, the game controller still in his loose grip. His messy blonde hair flowed over his eyes, but Jeff knows he's sleeping because of the small snores he can hear.
Sally is curled up on the couch, hugging Teddy and the knife close to her as if they're her life, her protection.
Jeff huffs. "It's so cute it makes me sick."
"Aw, how can you say that?"
Jeff looked over to see Masky and Hoodie both leaning casually against the wall within the darkness of the room. Masky's arms are crossed, and Hoodie's hands are stuffed in the pockets of his hoodie.
"What, do you want me to lie?" Jeff responded, tilting his head.
"We should see what's on the news," Jack spoke up, interrupting them, and Jeff looks over to see Eyeless Jack standing in the darkest corner of the room, holding the remote to the television. Jack pressed a button to change the channel, and on it is the city news.
"...and the murders seem to be made by the most wanted killers in the US. Is it possible that they are coming together to form some sort of group? If so, then they may be the most dangerous gang in all of America. Maybe even the world," the news reporter said, standing a distance away from the house that the killers were in earlier. In the background, there are police cars and quite a bit of flashing lights. There's video footage of cops searching throughout the house and body bags being zipped up, and then the words SPREAD THE WORD are revealed on the wall.
"Idiots," Hoodie mumbled, but continued watching.
Masky shook his head. "Smile's gonna have an ass-load of people to haunt."
"It was smart," Jack said. "Anyone who sees this, they'll see those words, then-"
"Then Smile can haunt their asses. Yeah, we know," Jeff rolls his eyes.
"What can we say? Word spreads pretty fast," Masky chuckles.
"'Specially in this stupid city. They just don't learn, do they?" Hoodie muttered, shaking his head.
"We need to start being more careful," Eyeless Jack mentioned. "If they're able to tell that those kills are by us, then we'd be predictable to them. That's dangerous for us."
"We'll be fine," Jeff stated blandly. "They're never going to actually find us."
"You can't say that for sure." Hoodie said. "Not all of them are stupid."
They continued to watch the news in silence to see what a huge 'shock' this is to the city. Jeff muttered under his breath, then climbed up the stairs and went into his bedroom.
As he did, Sally's eyes soon fluttered open to see that the television is on. Everyone but Jeff seems to be in the room, watching it. Ben is still asleep.
Soon, a male appeared on the television, another reporter.
"This goes out to everyone. Make sure you lock your doors and windows, especially during the night. If you think one or more of these killers enters your home, call 911 immediately."
Then pictures of some of the killers standing in this living room appeared on the screen. Some taken by video cameras and some taken by people in the houses they have entered or on the streets. The only ones they didn't catch are Ben and Smile.
Masky snorted and commented sarcastically. "Yeah, that'll work."
"When did locking up the house ever help anyone?" Hoodie shook his head. "You'd think these people would learn by now."
"People are fragile," Eyeless Jack explained. "If locking themselves up in their houses makes them feel even the slightest bit safer, then they'll believe that it's what they should do. Not very many of them are open-minded to other possibilities, or to what's truly dangerous."
"Exactly! They're stupid," Masky concluded.
Sally sat up a bit, rubbing one of her eyes, and the three noticed her awakening.
"Hey, kiddo," Hoodie greeted her. "Tired, huh? Well, I don't think Jeff would care if you stayed another night. I think."
But Sally isn't tired anymore. She glances over at her hand to see, not so surprisingly, that she had automatically grabbed her knife without knowing. The knife is clenched tightly within her grip, the blade reflects the light from the television brightly. The blade is spotted with crusty, dried blood.
Then she immediately remembered everything; her dead father, her dead uncle, the lives she took. Despair brought tears to her eyes, and clutched at her stomach. Her father is the only one she truly cared about of all of them. She feels guilty for his death, although she isn't even the cause of it. The other people she's killed, however...their blood is on her hands, and yet, she feels no remorse. That scared her more than anything. Is she really becoming a monster?
Immortal.
There's that word again. The single word that opens her eyes to eternity and beyond, but she could barely understand any of it.
Masky noticed the confusion swirling in Sally's haunted emerald gaze and he nodded in understanding. "We can go outside real quick, if you want. We could take a walk, get some fresh air, and maybe find something that'll help you clear your head. What'dya say?"
Sally looks over at him, her gaze switching back and forth between Hoodie and Masky. She's still not sure if she could trust them. Although she's the one who decided to come here herself, but that's because she doesn't really have anywhere else to go, doesn't have anyone else to be around. She's made the mistake of trusting people before.
"You can trust them," Eyeless Jack spoke up, and Sally looks at him. "They're idiots, but they'll keep you safe. They won't hurt you, either."
Sally still feel uncertain. She's not sure if she can trust Jack, either.
"You may not trust me when I say it," Jack says, almost as if he read her mind. "But they've proven trustworthy so far, haven't they?"
Sally knows that Jack has a point. None of them has attempted to hurt her, except for Jeff and Ben. But even then, they've all helped her. If they wanted to hurt her, they would have done so already, right?
Currently, she's helpless, besides the weapon in her hand. She's just a young girl, confused and afraid, surrounded by men older, bigger, and maybe stronger than she is.
They would have done something to her already, if that was what they had planned.
After a moment of silence, Sally nods. "Okay."
"Alright, let's do this quickly." Masky cautioned as he began walking to the back door. "And I say quickly because the police have gone crazy about surveillance ever since our last kill."
Hoodie smirked, not that anyone can see it, but it's in his voice.
"Alright, let's head out."