Chapter 27 - Return

Of course, Sally, being the naturally curious girl she is, wanted to know more.
"Why?" She asked, looking up at Jill as they walked.
Jill was silent for another moment before she decided to speak.
"He couldn't stand her. He thought she was absolutely crazy." Jill shook her head and made a soft, sarcastic laugh as she rambled under her breath. "He was mistaken. He just didn't want to believe I was really there. The minds of adults don't want, nor can they handle, what the children can see. He was one of them. He couldn't take it anymore, couldn't stand hearing her talk about me and tell him I was there. He killed her, shot her in the head with a bullet. That was many years ago. He gets out of prison in a few hours, and then I'll show him. I'll let him know that little Mary isn't as insane as he thought. I'll make him pay for what he did to her..."
"Mary? Was that her name?" Sally asked. Jill blinked and her eyes focused again, as if she was snapped out of some sort of trance, then she nodded.
"It is."
Sally thought about all that Jill told her, gradually figuring it out. One thing caught most of her attention, though. "Is...Is it true that adults don't believe children when they say they see things?"
Jill nodded again. "Adults don't understand, though they once were children themselves. Children grow up, mature, and think that their imagination was only their imagination." She shook her head with a grin. "They're wrong. The adults can't see us because they don't want to. You see, both Laughing Jack and I were born from a child's imagination. Imagination can be such a powerful thing, so powerful that it can create things into reality."
"Wouldn't you be gone though? Since you're made from her imagination and she's...dead?" Sally asked softly. Surely, a child's imagination couldn't live on after the child is dead, right?
Laughing Jill stopped walking and turned to face Sally, leaning down to her height to meet gazes.
"Little Sally, there's something you need to know." She said, lifting a finger and pointing a long, black nail at Sally. The little girl stared into Jill's icy blue eyes as Jill's next several words filled her ears. "People die, but their dreams live on."
Jill straightened up and continued walking, so Sally once again followed.
"So...you're going to get your revenge?" Sally asked, since she, of all people, completely understood.
Jill's wide smile is sadistic and mad. "Yes, I am."
It's silent as they walked through the streets, now closer to the neighborhood Sally lives in.
Where should she go once she gets there? Should she go back to her own house?
And who were those men that kidnapped her? Why did they need her? How, exactly, did that man know who and where she was?
No, there's no need to worry about it. She'll never see them again, or at least she hopes she won't. One of them's dead, after all. But of course, that doesn't seem to matter nowadays. Dead people sometimes come back.
Sally looked up at the sky in thought, noticing that the sky is brighter, a light blue. The stars are fading and the light of the full moon isn't as bright.
She looks towards the east to see that at the horizon is a luminescent orange glow as the sun is close to surpassing it.
After a little while longer, they soon find themselves on the street just across from Sally's neighborhood, and Jill turned to Sally.
"Will you be fine if I left you here? I have a bastard to find and kill," she said, also looking towards where the sun is coming up. "He'll be released from his pitiful jail cell soon, and I want to be there to see him. It's been so long...I can't wait to taste the sweet satisfaction of his blood."
She giggled darkly, but Sally only stared at her.
"Laughing Jill..." She called softly and Jill looked at her.
"Yes, little Sally?" She asked, tilting her head and her long, black hair fell to one side, reflecting a rusty red color from the oncoming sunrise.
Sally was silent for a moment, but then she opened her mouth to speak.
"Getting revenge won't satisfy you. Once you find him, and kill him...it won't help you."
Jill narrowed her eyes. "What do you mean by that?"
Sally looked down, and took a deep breath. "Killing him won't bring Mary back."
Jill was silent after that.
Sally wasn't sure if she wanted to see Jill's expression, but she looked up anyway. Jill's expression was difficult to read, because she's looking away at the sunrise again.
"You'll feel empty..." Sally continued softly. "Once you did what you tried so hard to do...what will you do next? You have forever, and there will be nothing else you were meant to do. You will feel like you don't have a purpose to be here anymore."
Jill looked down at her, skeptical. "And you know this from experience?"
Sally nodded. "Uh-huh..."
After another few silent moments, Jill knelt down in front of Sally, a soft grin on her face. "You know, it shouldn't be so bad to live forever, will it? You can't feel any pain, and you get to do whatever you want. "
"It's...not the physical pain you need to worry about," Sally said softly, and Jill stared in silence.
"And what will you do when you run out of things to do?" Sally spoke up to replace the silence.
Jill pressed her lips together in thought. "I...don't know."
"You can kill all you want, but you'll never be satisfied," Sally continued, looking down at her dirty feet. "The need will only get stronger. It will swallow you whole, like some kind of...monster. And all the humanity you have left will go away and might not come back. Aren't you afraid of the darkness? Aren't you afraid of what you'll become?"
What Sally is saying seemed to surprise Jill; she didn't expect Sally to say such things. She's just a child, what could she have gone through to make her understand these things?
"I learned not to fear things long ago," Jill said in a quiet voice that made Sally look back up at her. "And you must be speaking of emotional pain. I learned to ignore it. You don't need to worry, you'll learn to be stronger, and you'll learn not to feel anything at all. Don't be afraid of the darkness, or what you'll become. Everything will be fine if you make it fine. Killing that man may not satisfy my needs, but I gotta try, right? He still needs to pay for Mary's death. He deserves this. Mary deserves this, even if I don't."
Sally looked down again, nodding. She has nothing left to say. She doesn't care about preventing Jill from killing that man, she only wants to warn her of how she may feel afterwards. But if Jill is still intent on doing it, then there's nothing more Sally can do.
Jill made a small smile and patted on Sally's head a bit. "Alright, Sally. Maybe fate will let us run into each other again one day."
Then Jill stood, lifting her chainsaw, and she ran down the road, towards the rising sun.
Sally watched her leave until the woman was out of sight, then she turned to face her neighborhood.