Chapter 21 - Reunion

It has been two days, two days that Sally has spent sitting in the empty room, letting herself drift off into oblivion during the day, and then sitting around with a spinning mind during the night, with little to no sleep.
The house is empty besides one cop who sat in his car in the driveway, about to pull out, but before he did, another car pulled up.
Maria stepped out and walked around to the passenger side, opening the door, and climbing out is a man.
He is obviously homeless, due to the ragged and dirty clothing along with worn tennis shoes. He has a hood over his head, so his face isn't seen easily. However, he seems rather young, maybe in his mid 20's.
The cop exited his car and walked over to them. "You two need any help?"
"Uh, no, that's alright." Maria reassured. "I got a call saying that the house is cleaned out."
The officer nodded. "Oh, well yes, it is cleared out and ready for sale."
Maria nodded, too. "I've already claimed it. I have the papers, if you need proof."
She then reached into her bag and pulled out a few papers that were neatly folded, then she handed them to the officer.
He took them and looked over them, making sure she signed and filled out everything necessary.
Then he nodded in approval. "Alright, this is good."
He looked up, but then he eyed the man standing next to Maria. The man shifted his weight, obviously uncomfortable and maybe even nervous under the officer's gaze.
"You need help?" The cop asked, taking notice of the man's disheveled and uncomfortable appearance.
"No, sir." The man replied, not meeting the cop's gaze.
The cop stared for a moment, but then he sighed and reached to grab his keys, then pulled one off the chain.
"Well, here's your key and here's my number," he said, handing the house key and his card to Maria. "Give me a call if there's any problem." He eyed the homeless man as he said the last sentence.
Maria nodded and smiled gratefully. "Thank you sir, I'm sorry for any trouble."
He shook his head and tipped his hat to her with a small smile. "It's no problem, ma'am. You take care now."
He walked back to his car and pulled out of the driveway, then down the road.
Maria turned towards the man. "Well, here we are."
"Why are you helping me?" He asked in an uncertain and almost skeptical tone.
"Well, I couldn't just drive by. I would be heartless not to help even a little," she told him. "Now, come on in. There's no furniture yet, so it's not exactly homey, but that'll get taken care of soon."
Before he could respond, she motioned him to follow her as she walked up to the front door and unlocked it, then opened it.
Sally blinked once she heard the sound of the front door opening, breaking out of her empty state of mind.
Is someone coming in? She thought everyone already left.
Before she could stand up from her ball position, a voice spoke up from behind her.
"Your mom's here."
Sally jumped and turned around to see Ben standing in the corner, leaning back against the wall with his arms crossed.
"H-How did you get here?" Sally asked. Her voice is raspy from not be used for a while.
He jutted his thumb to point at a power outlet not too far from him. "The usual."
Sally then looked towards the door of the room in confusion, realizing what he said. "Mommy's here...?"
"Well, what did I just tell you? She's here, but she brought company." There's a smirk in his voice. "My assumption was correct. This is the second guy she had invited to her place. Yesterday it was that Alex guy, and now it's a homeless dude."
"Who is Alex?" Sally asked.
"Some rich-ass FBI motherfucker who your mom is taking as her next victim."
"Don't talk about Mommy like that."
"Or else what?"
Sally turned to him to give him a hard glare and he just smirked.
"Oh, Sally's got a scary glare. I'm sooo terrified," he spoke in a sarcastic tone.
"Why are you here?" She asked.
He shrugged. "I just wanted to prove you wrong."
"What do you mean?"
Ben sighed and walked towards her, and she tensed up.
"What I mean is that I'm gonna prove to you that your mom is a slut and she's gonna replace you with like a million other kids."
Sally's glare hardened and swirled with fury. Ben even stopped walking towards her.
"Shut up," she said through her clenched teeth. She's never said anything so harshly to anyone before, so it surprised even her. But why is he doing this!?
Her gaze told him she wanted to tear him into shreds, but he just gave her a smug look.
"What? The truth hurts."
Sally was about to scream at him until she began to hear voices from another room.
She couldn't understand what they're saying, so she decided to give Ben one last glare before she turned and walked silently to the door.
Ben followed her, a smirk still on his face, but she ignored him. She opened the door quietly and walked down the hall, then peeked around the corner into the living room to see her mother and an unfamiliar man sitting down in the middle of the room, just having a conversation.
"So, tell me about yourself," Maria said. "What's your name?"
He replied, but it was a low mumble, so Sally couldn't hear it from this distance.
Maria nodded. "Well, I'm Maria. Um, do you have a family?"
The man was silent before answering. "No, they, uh...they were killed in an accident many years ago."
Maria's smile faded. "Oh, I'm sorry."
He shook his head. "It's alright. I should probably let you know that everyone who knew me thinks I'm dead, just in case you decide to ever tell anyone about me. It'll only cause confusion. There's no use in getting me involved with the police or anything, it'll only make things complicated."
Maria furrowed his eyebrows. "Wait, what? Why do people think you're dead? If you don't mind me asking, of course."
"I...escaped the hospital after the...accident." He chuckled a bit, but he seemed hesitant about what he's saying. "I guess the doctors just told everyone I was dead once they realized I was missing. Idiots...I was pretty close to dyin', so I can understand why people believed 'em. I never stood up to them about it. I never decided to visit any of them at all, in fact. That's pretty much all I can tell you about me. So...what about you? Do you have a family?" His eyes looked around the empty house.
Maria's expression darkened and her eyes averted away, filled with anguish, and the man noticed that.
"Oh, sorry, it's none of my business."
Maria shook her head. "No, it's alright. Well...I had a wonderful husband and a lovely girl."
"Had?"
"Just over two months ago, my daughter went missing and...was soon found dead. She was killed."
"Shit..." The man murmured, but Maria continued.
She swallowed hard. "My husband, Frank, and I divorced, and...just a few days ago, I got a call saying Frank and his brother, Johnny, are dead."
Tears filled Maria's green eyes, but she blinked them away.
Sally's shoulders slumped once she realized how much pain her mother is going through. Maria doesn't deserve this. A sting of anger shot through Sally. This is all Johnny's fault. She's glad she killed him. He deserves so much worse, though.
"If you don't mind me, I'd like to tell you something strange that's happened. The night I got the call, I went to the cemetery to...visit my daughter, and..."
When Maria didn't continue, the man spoke up.
"And?"
She laughed a bit, but it seemed forced. "Well, you'll probably think I'm crazy. Maybe I am crazy."
"Did she talk to you?"
Maria blinked and looked at him. "Huh?"
"Well, it's kind of a strange question to ask, but...did she talk to you?"
Maria was silent for a moment before nodding. "Yes, she did. She told me she's...not at peace. She's stuck, and...she told me who killed her, and it was Johnny who killed her. He's dead though, so I don't know why she can't...you know...move on."
"Maybe there's something she needs to do?" The man suggested. "Maybe she came to you for help."
Ben snorted silently and Sally elbowed him in irritation, but it didn't affect him.
"Maybe," Maria murmured.
Suddenly, the window to the living room shattered, and a figure leaped in. Maria shrieked in surprise as she and the man both jumped onto their feet.
The figure that broke in is a familiar one. It's Jeff, and there's only one real reason he'd break into someone's house. The reason is written all over his face, and gripped tight in his hand.
Sally gasped once she saw Jeff run towards Maria, knife raised and ready to kill.
Without hesitation, Sally dashed towards them. Ben tried to grab her arm, but failed.
"Sally! Agh, you idiot!" He called.
"Jeff! No! Don't hurt Mommy!" Sally shouted, stumbling to a stop between Jeff and Maria.
"Sally?" Maria gasped as she stared at her daughter standing before her. Maybe she isn't crazy.
Jeff looked down at Sally, surprised and perplexed. "What? Get out of my way!"
Jeff took a step forward, breathing heavily and obviously unstable. Sally didn't move. They both know Jeff can't hurt her, but they both also know that he'd still try.
"Jeff, don't hurt her." The strange man said, and at that voice, Jeff froze.
Sally watched as Jeff's composure change completely. His eyes have widened, his body has grown tense, and his expression no longer showed bloodlust and madness as it had a moment ago. Instead, it's filled with conflicted emotions. Disbelief, wonder, shock, and most surprising, fear. Sally had never thought she'd ever see fear in Jeff's eyes, but there it is, as noticeable as a flame in the dark. 
But what about this man makes Jeff feel like that? Sally blinks, and then looks over at the stranger.
Maria had taken a step forward to reach out to Sally, but then she hesitated and instead, she whispered. "Sally, come on, sweetie. Back away from him."
Sally glanced at her mother, then back at the stranger. Her instinct to obey took over and she took a step back, but then she stopped when the man pulled down his hood to reveal his face. His mocha brown hair is long and unkept, sweeping over blue eyes that stared at Jeff.
Sally instantly realized that he looked familiar. It took her a moment to connect his resemblance to the family photo she had found in Jeff's house. She remembered the picture of this man as a boy that stood beside Jeff, and then Sally put the pieces together.
This man is Jeff's brother?
Jeff slowly turned to face the man, his body numb and his expression now void of emotion. When he spoke, his voice broke slightly, and was stiff with attempted control.

"Liu."