Chapter 37 - In the Dark

Sally stared down at the body of her friend. She can't even cry.
The numbness she had felt before increased tenfold. The rain is washing away the remaining blood that dripped from Malcolm's lifeless body.
Then Sally's eyes, dulled with sadness, looked up at Ben. She expected to see a smug expression, but Ben revealed no emotion.
"Malcolm!"
Sally's shoulders jerked and Ben's head snapped towards the direction where they heard Samantha's call.
Samantha came into view, the wind blowing her wet hair as she searched for her son.
This time, Ben didn't leave, he just stood and watched.
Samantha saw the two and quickly came over, her eyes gazing more towards Sally with a cautious look.
"Where's Malcolm?" She asked loud enough for Sally to hear her over the sound of the rain.
Sally didn't say anything, her voice seemed to disappear. Her breath is caught within her throat and it's as if she's choking on the oxygen. Sally could barely meet Samantha's gaze.
Then the mother's eyes soon shifted to the body lying at Sally's feet, the body of Malcolm.
Samantha's eyes widened and she immediately knelt next to her son, gathering him up in her arms, but he's unresponsive.
"Malcolm!" She called, her eyes staring into his lifeless ones. "Mal, baby?"
His head lulled to the side, now revealing the deep cut in his throat, the one that ended his life.
Samantha is silent now, her body seemed to be frozen and her mind went blank. Her face is pale and her hands are shaky as they held her son.
Her children are dead. Both of them in one day, within only an hour's time. The happiness they once had was stolen from them in a blink of an eye. Her family is crumbling away, one by one.
Tears filled Samantha's eyes, then she numbly looked up at Sally.
"H-How could y-you..." Samantha whispered, her voice trembling, her blue eyes revealed the anger and despair and hatred that was directed all towards Sally. And she deserved it all.
"How could you?" Samantha repeated, her voice is stronger this time. She gently set Malcolm down, and then she stood with shaky legs, her hands clenched into fists.
"How could you!?" Samantha screamed. "You killed my babies!"
Sally expected this from the mother, but the way Samantha glared at her, those eyes filled with betrayal, hatred, and agony, it made Sally feel horrible. Samantha stared at Sally with indifference.
Another flash of pain came over Sally as she couldn't help but to cringe as she stared into those eyes that had once looked at her with so much acceptance and kindness.
Please...don't look at me like that, Sally mentally pleaded. Don't look at me like that!
"You monster! You sick, corrupted monster! We took care of you, we took you in...and you...you killed them. You're a demon! A demon!" Samantha shouted, stepping towards Sally little by little.
"You should have stayed dead," Samantha whispered shakily through her teeth. Sally, however, showed no emotion towards those words.
"Alright, that's enough of that." Ben spoke up with a sigh, picking up Sally's knife. Before Samantha could react, Ben flew at her at an inhuman speed, then buried the bloodied blade deep into Samantha's chest.
Her deep blue eyes widened and her breath caught in her throat, but then she let out a small yelp.
Her gaze didn't leave Sally's and Sally watched as Samantha died before her eyes.
Ben shoved the blade deeper and Samantha yelped again, and this time, blood sputtered from her mouth.
Her lips trembled and she fell to her knees. Ben yanked the knife from her chest and blood splattered onto Sally's cheek and new pink dress that's soaked from the rain. Samantha then fell forward, as lifeless as her son beside her.
Another strike of lighting flashed and thunder rumbled over their heads. The rain seemed to soften in its downfall, and it looks a bit lighter now as the clouds rolled on by to pour rain on other parts of the city.
Other than the pattering rain, no sound was heard. To Sally, it seemed as if the world died along with the two bodies on the ground before her. There's nothing, nothing at all. Never before has she felt so lonely.
Her knees began to shake and she struggled to keep standing.
"Never show weakness!"
Jeff's words pierced her mind and she immediately straightened up, but her eyes kept staring at the bodies at her feet.
"C'mon, let's get outta here." Ben said in a hollow tone, turning to walk away, and he expected Sally to follow, but she didn't.
She's frozen, she can't seem to make her feet move, she can't even shift her gaze away from the bodies.
What has she done?
Ben noticed that she had not moved and turned towards her, a hint of annoyance in his expression.
"Is this bothering you that much?" He asked incredulously. "He's just another petty human boy."
At those words, Sally's anger soon devoured the numbness and her dulled gaze became a fiery glare. Her eyes looked at Ben and he saw the fury within them.
Ben sighed. "I guess so. I don't get it, why does he matter that much to you?"
"He was my friend!" Sally exclaimed, turning to face Ben and her hands clenched into fists.
"Friend? There are no friends in this world, Sally." Ben stated, shaking his head. "In the real world, you're on your own."
"You're a liar!" Sally claimed, but then Ben quickly stepped towards her, meeting her glare.
"You think I lie? Look around you, idiot." Ben said, poking roughly at Sally's shoulder. "You have nothing."
"Because you took the only thing I had away from me!" Sally screamed, bloody tears are now making her vision a hazy red.
"You're being so childish! I can't take what you never had in the first place," Ben hissed, his face getting closer to hers, but she kept her ground.
"He helped me control my need, he is the reason I was able to hold back!" She tried to convince Ben, or maybe herself.
"And see where that ended up? You couldn't hold it back forever. You killed his sister, and look where it all led," Ben countered, motioning his hand to the bodies.
Sally's hands clenched tighter and now trembled. "He was kind to me! He accepted me for who I am! He accepted me! And you killed him! This is your fault! It's your fault I don't have anything anymore!"
She shoved him, but it didn't affect Ben much. However, what she said next did have an effect on him.
"I hate you, Ben! I hate you!" Sally screamed, her scarlet tears now dripping down her pale cheeks.
She panted a bit, but she was surprised to see a shocked look from Ben, but then that shock hardened into an emotionless expression.
"Fine," he muttered through his teeth, turning to walk away.
Sally gritted her teeth, swallowing the urge to scream, then shut her eyes tightly, and within the next few seconds, the rain seemed to stop and she felt smooth, wooden flooring beneath her feet.
Her eyes opened and she found herself where she wanted to be most; her old bedroom.
Now, there are dark purple curtains over the windows, blocking out the outside world.
She felt the remnants of her anger swallowed up by the numbness now. She collapsed onto the floor, curling up and hugging her knees to her chest.
Nothing went through her mind, no sound is made from her.
What's the point in thoughts? All it brings is pain for her.
And so, she won't think of anything, she won't feel nothing. At this moment, everything meant nothing to her.
After all, she has nothing left.

--                                                                           

"She's finally opening her eyes to it all," Ben said to Eyeless Jack, who stood in the doorway as Ben walked into the old house, still dripping wet from rain water.
"What happened?" Jack asked as Hoodie tossed Ben a towel.
Ben caught it and immediately began to dry off. "Ugh, why did it have to rain? Damn weather..." He sighed as he dried his hair, then explained. "Sally killed them. I knew she would sooner or later. I had to give her a bit of a push, but she did it. She's pissed off though."
"She will sooner or later learn and accept it," Jeff muttered, though he's still lying on the couch, a cloth over his eyes.
"You awake?" Masky asked.
"No, I'm sleep talking," Jeff said sarcastically.
"You must be feeling better," Jack said.
"I am abso-fucking-lutely brilliant," Jeff grunted, slowly pushing himself into a sitting position, the cloth falling off to reveal his bloodshot eyes. His arms shook from their weakness and the pain it brought him to move.
When he fully sat up, he coughed harshly and blood sputtered from his scarred lips.
"You're making a mess," Ben commented as he tossed his wet towel to Jeff, who glared at him and he didn't use the towel.
"Shut it," Jeff muttered, but his voice is barely audible. He used his hand to wipe the blood from his mouth, then he lifted his hoodie and t-shirt to examine his wounds, which are now bandaged.
"How do you feel?" Masky asked and Jeff gave him the 'are you serious' look.
"I feel like I was hit by a truck."
"I was only asking, asshole."
"Oh yeah, that reminds me." Hoodie spoke up. "We're going to have to leave town."
Jeff stared at Hoodie. "What?"
"It's getting too dangerous for us all to be in one place for a long amount of time," Eyeless Jack explained. "The S.W.A.T is bound to take action here, and this place isn't a good hiding spot."
"Then why the hell are the rest of you here? You don't need to hang around if you're too afraid of the fucking cops," Jeff stated with an edge of agitation to his voice.
"Jeff, you're in as much danger as the rest of us if you just stay here. You will need to leave the city and take refuge elsewhere, or else the police will sooner or later know your tactics and catch you. Then it'll be the end of you," Jack told Jeff.
"You think I care?" Jeff growled, then coughed again. "They have nothing to take from me, I'm not afraid of them."
"We're not afraid of them," Ben protested, shaking his head. "Or, at least, I'm not."
"We just don't want any more trouble than there already is," Jack said, shaking his head at Jeff.
"We could use a little more fun in our lives," Jeff chuckled. "You only live once, right?"
"Shut the fuck up, Jeff." Masky shook his head. "To think that you'd learn by now."
Jack sighed. "Stubborn as ever."
"What are we gonna do about Sally, though?" Ben asked, crossing his arms.
"She's coming with us, of course." Hoodie said.
Ben shook his head. "That's not what I meant."
"Either leave the kid be so she can learn on her own or push her to the point where she's forced to accept it," Jeff said. "She'll have to sooner or later. She's still a kid, her trust will be easy to earn, so take that to your advantage."
"She still has a shit ton of stuff she needs to understand," Ben said. "Seriously, what's so important about that boy? She's only known him for what? Two days? And she's this upset about his death?"
"Jealous much?" Hoodie muttered under his breath and Masky snickered.
Fortunately for Hoodie, no one but Masky heard him.
"She's already beginning to understand the more important things," Eyeless Jack said, remembering her expression the night she saw her own grave, the bravery she had when she faced the man who molested and murdered her, the anger and bloodlust that had stirred in her gaze the night they had met. "I believe she's strong enough."
"She still has plenty of things to understand," Jeff said. "She needs to learn to let loose and know control at the appropriate times, to expect anything, to build her guard up, and to care less about people."