Chapter 22 - Break

Liu, in return, grinned. "Hey, little bro. Long time no see."
Jeff was silent for a moment before responding.
"B-But...how did you...?" He stuttered, which further shocked Sally.
"You've really grown."
"I-I thought..."
Liu just kept grinning at Jeff, but it didn't seem like a warm grin as Liu's icy blue eyes stared at Jeff. He lifted a hand and pulled back the collar of his shirt, revealing and old scar that stretched along the side of his neck. "It takes more than this to kill me, you know."
Sally blinked. Jeff once tried to kill Liu?
Jeff swallowed hard, his hands trembling. "I...I-I didn't mean it...I didn't want to..."
"So, you're saying you just...lost all control, huh?" Liu asked with a hard edge to his tone, sounding skeptical as he raised an eyebrow at Jeff. "You didn't want to kill me, you say? Well, what about our parents? Did you want to kill them?"
Maria looked back and forth between Jeff, Liu, and Sally, seeming to be distressed about how to feel and what to do. One of the most wanted killers just broke into her house, her dead daughter had appeared out of nowhere, and now Liu is facing this killer who is apparently his brother.
Ben, well, he's interested as hell. His arms are crossed and he leaned back into the wall as he watched the scene.
"You had seemed to really enjoy tryin' to kill me." Liu continued, but then he shrugged in fake causality. "I must've been imagining it then, right?"
He had a bit of anger distinguished in his voice, and Jeff seemed to catch that and returned some anger.
"Stop being a smartass, Liu."
"Stop being an ignorant fuck, Jeff."
Jeff opened his mouth to retort, but nothing came out. He is, for once, at loss for words.
"Where is your shame?" Liu asked, now sounding as if he's scolding Jeff. "You've killed so many fucking people. How could you? Did you really let those kids from our childhood fuck your head up so badly?"
"Shut up!" Jeff raised his voice, but it seemed shaky. He raised his knife, but it was an uncertain threat. "You don't understand! You don't understand anything!"
"Wh-What's going on?" Maria asked, looking as if she was going to stand in between them, but she looked at Jeff with a fearful gaze.
Liu raised his hand out to her without removing his gaze from his brother. "It's alright, don't get into this."
Then, Jeff did another unbelievable thing. He averted his gaze; he's unable to keep eye contact with Liu. "Liu, I'm sorry. I didn't-"
"Sorry isn't going to bring them back, Jeff." Liu interrupted Jeff, his tone is hard. Everything was silent for a minute or so after that.
Sally stared up at Liu, somewhat curious to know more about him, and why he is with her mother. Speaking of her mother, she looked over at Maria, who looks about as dumbfounded and cautious as Sally feels.
But then Liu's expression soon softened and he let out a heavy sigh. "I guess there's nothin' I can do about it, huh? They've been gone for years and yet, here I am, bitching about it."
"But it's...it's my fault they're dead. You should be furious with me," Jeff said, shaking his head.
Sally is still absolutely shocked at Jeff's attitude, but at least he isn't trying to kill her mother.
A small grin spread across Liu's lips again, but this time, it's more natural. "Nah, I'll just seem pathetic if I do that, now wouldn't I? You know, I haven't had the chance to thank you after all these years, have I?"
"What?" Jeff asked, now confused as he looked back at his brother.
"I wanted to thank you for standing up for me to those assholes back in the day."
Jeff would have blinked, but with the fact that he doesn't have eyelids, it's not exactly possible. "Don't thank me."
Liu shrugged. "I will, anyway."
Then, Liu abruptly stepped forward. Since Jeff was already caught off guard, he didn't expect it, nor was he prepared for it when Liu snatched the knife from Jeff's hand, and then plunged the blade into Jeff's waist.
Maria shrieked a bit and covered her mouth with her hands as Sally's eyes widened.
"Jeff!" She called and was about to run forward, but Ben set his hand on Sally's shoulder, shaking his head to tell her that she shouldn't interfere.
Sally watched as Jeff looked down in confusion at the knife that embedded in his torso. Blood began leaking through the already stained material of his hoodie, and drip down his body.
"Just thought I could get a bit of revenge," Liu said, his icy voice had returned. "You know, for tryin' to kill me. I won't kill you, but you're not getting away with wounding me and leaving me for dead."
Sally expected Jeff to jump up and rip Liu into pieces using his bare hands, but Jeff didn't do that.
Jeff's hands reached to the knife, and then he pulled it out with a grunt. Blood spilled profusely from the wound and Jeff pressed his hand to it, his blood now seeping through his fingers. His knife slipped from his grasp and clattered onto the floor.
Despite his situation, Jeff chuckled at the sight of the wound. He didn't expect it, but he knows well not to be surprised when it comes to Liu. Then, his legs gave out on him and he fell to his knees.
Liu knelt down to Jeff's eye level, still grinning apathetically. "Just like old times, right buddy?"
Jeff knows the wound isn't going to kill him, but the throbbing is starting to annoy him. He needs to treat the wound, or it could get infected. Then it'll be fatal.
"Times have changed, Liu." Jeff uttered, now meeting Liu's gaze.
Liu's grin never faded, but now his eyes looked a little sad. "I see."
Jeff's vision grew hazy and gray formed at the edges. Sally knew that Jeff is hanging onto consciousness by a very thin thread, and she immediately rushed to his side and pressed her hand to his shoulder.
She doesn't know exactly what she's gonna do, but the next thing she did, she squeezed her eyes shut and imagined herself back at Jeff's house, where Jeff can rest and heal. She willed them to be there, and as that will persisted, she felt a spinning sensation in her head, and soon, around her body. For a split second, she felt like she was floating, and then falling so suddenly that she almost screamed.
Sally's eyes snapped open, dazed and startled, and found herself in the living room of Jeff's house. Jeff is still before her, and her hand is still on his shoulder, but the moment they found themselves in the familiar area, Jeff collapsed to the floor, completely blacking out.
"Whoa whoa whoa, what happened here?"
Sally turned to see the owner of the familiar voice and saw, to her relief, Masky and Hoodie.
She couldn't help but to smile at seeing them, but then her smile faded away quickly. "Jeff...he's hurt."
Masky sighed. "What did the idiot do now?"
"H-He was...he was stabbed," Sally told them hesitantly, wondering how much she should say.
"Really?" Hoodie asked in an incredulous tone, then looked down at the unconscious Jeff. "I didn't think that was possible."
Masky made his way to the couch, but he seemed to limp a bit, probably because of the wound that is still on his leg. He sat on the couch with a huff and he talked to Sally as if Jeff wasn't unconscious and bleeding on the floor just mere feet away. "I've missed you, kiddo! What happened while we were away?"
"Um...Jeff started teaching me to run." Sally began softly, putting her hands behind her back as she looked down at her dirty feet. "I went to my house for a while, and..."
Sally isn't sure how to explain what happened there, so her voice trailed off. She also doesn't want to tell them about her conversations with Laughing Jack and Ben, nor does she want to mention her mother. She wants to keep silent about all of that.
She started thinking of what to say when she heard a grunt and she looked over to see Jeff, now regaining consciousness, pushing himself up onto his hands and knees. Blood dripped onto the floor and his greasy hair fell around his face as he tried to stand.
"Dude, you might not wanna move around too much." Hoodie advised, noticing the wound and how much of a bother it is to Jeff.
Jeff glared up at him, breathing heavily. "I know what I'm doing."
"Do you?" Masky asked in a skeptical tone.
Jeff didn't respond and he cursed under his breath as he finally stood, and then he gradually made his way to the staircase.
Sally watched after Jeff with a slightly worried gaze, until she felt a hand on her shoulder and she looked up at Hoodie.
"He'll be fine, he's dealt with worse." He said, but Sally isn't so sure. She took a step away so that his hand will drop from her shoulder. He seems to keep forgetting that she doesn't like to be touched.
"Oh, by the way, we brought a friend of ours," Masky told Sally as he looked around. "I don't know where he went, but he's around here somewhere."
"What, am I not allowed to take in my surroundings?" Asked an unfamiliar voice.
Hoodie turned to face the figure and spoke teasingly. "Nah."
Sally turned also to face this new person, tending up with caution. This boy is tall, and there are some sort of glasses or goggles with yellow lenses sitting on the top of his messy brown hair. His skin is ashen, practically gray. He wore a faded blue jacket that is covered in blood stains. His dark jeans are tattered and his tennis shoes are worn from years of use.
He held in one hand an old and worn hatchet as his other hand held a newer hatchet, both covered with dried blood.
His dark eyes shifted from person to person, then landed on Sally.
She stiffened at the eye contact and took a hesitant step back.
"Who's the kid?" The guy asked as he kept his eyes on the girl.
"This is Sally, the girl we told ya about." Hoodie said casually as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.
"Sally, he isn't gonna hurt you." Masky tried to reassure, but Sally didn't stop staring up at the boy.
The guy knelt down to meet her level, no expression is on his face at the moment as he studied her. Sally noticed that he made little twitches every now and then, but she wasn't sure why. However, she feels slightly intimidated by him, and once more she desperately wished that she hadn't left her knife at the cemetery.
"Hello, Sally. I'm Toby," he greeted in a bleak tone.
"We call him Ticci-Toby, but he hates it when we do that." Masky snickered as he earned a glare from said Ticci-Toby.
Sally replied softly, still unsure of this new person.
"H-Hi."

--                                                                         

  Meanwhile, Liu, Maria, and Ben still stood in the house, completely silent. Of course, the other two didn't notice Ben, for he is still out of their sight.
Ben is doing his best not to snicker too loudly as Maria stared at the spot where Jeff the Killer and her daughter just disappeared. She couldn't figure it out. She isn't as confused about how they vanished, she's more confused as to why her daughter seemed somewhat protective over the murderer.
Liu was staring down at the floor also, but with clear focus on one object that's sitting there; the knife. Still slathered in Jeff's blood, it glistened in the sunlight that's peeking in through the broken window.
"What...What just happened?" Maria asked, her voice shaking slightly.
Liu sighed and shook his head, now pressing his hand to his forehead. "I have no damn clue."
Then he looked over at her. He hesitated as he opened his mouth, but then he decided to force the words out. "By the way, that...that little girl. She looked a lot like you."
Maria swallowed hard and nodded, unable to meet his gaze. "Yes...that was Sally. My daughter. Her...ghost."
Liu looked down at the floor for another moment, still trying to process everything, but then he shook his head and chuckled in astonishment. "I never thought I'd see that bastard again."
"You mean...that man that came in?"
Liu nodded. "That's my brother, Jeff."
Her eyes widened as she now looked at him. "Your brother is one of the most wanted killers in the country. You know that, right?"
He let out a long, heavy exhale as he crossed his arms. "Yeah, I've seen the newspapers and heard rumors. I didn't think that he was so..."
His voice trailed off, trying to find the right words.
"Different?" Maria suggested softly.
He nodded. "Yeah. Different."
"But he is still your brother."
Liu didn't respond right away. "Yeah, he is."
Maria took a moment to remember the conversation between the two. "So...that's how your parents died? Jeff killed them?"
Liu nodded again. "Yeah, he did. He completely lost it that day. I saw it in his eyes, he wanted to kill us. And just now..."
"You...You stabbed him."
Liu's eyes shifted back to the bloody knife that lay on the floor.
"Yeah, I did." He managed a chuckle. "You see, ever since we were kids, we would do that. If one of us does something to the other, the other gets their revenge." He grinned sadly. "I guess some things don't change."
Ben noticed the knife too, realizing that Jeff is not going to like the fact that he left the knife here.
He smirked, plans forming in his head. He can take the knife and hide it from Jeff and see how Jeff would react, or he could blackmail the killer.
It may be amusing to see what Jeff would do. Sooner or later, he'll snap, and that could be entertaining.
Besides, Ben is immortal. No matter how angry Jeff would be, he can't hurt Ben.
But then Ben sighed softly. No, he's not going to play around like that. It'll be fun, but he knows that sooner or later he'll just get bored of it.
Ben then casually walked towards the knife right in front of Liu and Maria. Their eyes widened when they saw him.
Ben raised his hands and smirked. "Hey, don't mind me, I'm just getting the knife. Jeff's gonna want that back."
He grabbed the knife, walked over to the nearest power outlet, and then left the house, leaving Maria and Liu stupefied in his wake.
Liu slumped against the wall behind him. "What the hell?"
"I-I think I need to sit down..." Maria breathed as she gently sat onto the floor and curling up tightly.
Liu looked towards the shattered window. "We need a break."

A break from everything; physically, and emotionally.