Chapter 5 - Awakened

Usually, when Sally slept, she didn't dream. Especially now that she had lost her life; whenever she slept, no dreams came to her.

So it was a little surprising when she found herself in a nightmare.

Her body twitched and squirmed as she slept. Her face formed a frown, her eyebrows furrowed, her hands clenched and she curled up tighter as images and sounds swirled behind her eyelids.

In her vivid dream, she's running faster than she had ever thought she could. Everything looked so clear, and felt real.

Her bare feet pounded hard against the ground as she ran, her breathing was heavy and fast. She knew she was being watched. Everywhere she turned, there would be somebody, or something, there, just within the murky shadows. It's always just outside of her line of sight. It's form, whenever she did catch sight of it, is something obscure, something she couldn't describe. It was tall, and dark. It's gaze was heavy, suffocating her. It was watching her. That was all she really knew.

She could hear footsteps following her.

Sally glanced back, but she saw no one . She looked forward again, her eyes slightly widening as her panic grew stronger.

"Sally."

She gasped and she immediately pushed herself to run faster, but her legs grew more unsteady from her rising fear as her surroundings seemed to spin around her.

Sally knew that voice.

She glanced behind her again and she could have sworn she saw something dart just out of her line of sight. She wasn't sure what it was; she only caught a glimpse of it, but it didn't look human.

Sally kept running and running, having no clear goal or direction. Shouldn't she be tired by now? Her legs shouldn't even be able to run this speed. At the corner of her vision, she thought she saw a different dark figure, and a blur of something blue.

"Don't run, Sally."

The chilling voice echoed throughout the hazy world. The footsteps behind her grew faster, louder. She glanced behind her again, but once more, there's nothing there. Frantic thoughts screamed in her mind.

Run! He's going to get me! He's going to-

But then her vision flickered and then someone appeared in front of her. She stumbled to a stop and looked up, finding a boy standing in front of her, smiling at her. It was Ben.

"You've met a terrible fate, haven't you?"

Sally twitched in her sleep again, but did not awaken.

Now, she couldn't move. She couldn't run, so she coulg only watch as his young form blurred and wavered, then shifted into the shape someone else. The green shifted into white, and the figure grew taller. Sally knew who it was before the image focused. The pounding in her ears became faster, thumping a familiar rhythm.

The man knelt down to her level and met her gaze with those eyes that seemed to bore into her very soul. "Hey there, little Sally."

Sally's hands clenched as her heart pounded in fear. What's happening? 

"Sally!" The voice boomed from behind her and Sally almost screamed. She couldn't force herself to look back this time. She knew he was there. The man in front of her merely glanced at whatever's behind her, then looked back at her.

"Don't worry, little girl." He told her in an eerily sweet voice. "I'll save you from him."

But then, suddenly, he shoved a knife straight into her chest.