Chapter 20 - Lies

Sally followed Jeff out to the backyard and into the morning. The grass is soaked with chilled dew and the sun reflected brightly off the green trees around them, giving the yard a vibrant glow.
Sally squinted her eyes at the brightness, but soon she adjusted to it.
Jeff then turned to face her and started giving commands.
"Run across this yard and back as fast as you can," he instructed. "I need to see what I'm up against."
This confused Sally a bit. Isn't she supposed to learn to walk first?
Nonetheless, she did as she was told. However, the moment she started to put effort into her movement, the pain became immense and she whimpered slightly. She stumbled forward, trying to run, but of course, failed.
Jeff huffed and shook his head once she fell to the ground.
He walked over to her and stood above her. "Get up."
She swallowed hard and pushed herself off the ground, but had trouble standing up.
Jeff sighed and grabbed her arm, then hauled her up into her feet.
"Start running," he said.
"I-I can't." Sally panted, trying not to fall over again. "It hurts."
"Yes, you can. Don't let some pain slow you down, fight it," he told her. "If you're gonna live forever with that pain, then you gotta get over it sooner or later. Better it be sooner than later, right? Now get to it."
Sally gulped and managed to straighten up, then began to move forward again.
For about a good two hours, she attempted to run. During that time, she managed to walk faster than usual and push herself into what seems to be a soft jog before stumbling, but she has yet to learn to maintain that speed without failing.
Of course, all this exercise is wearing her legs out and causing them to be sorer than they usually are.
After another lap across the yard, Jeff sighed and called out. "Alright, we're done for now, but we're getting back to it later."
Sally huffed and let herself collapse onto the cool grass, and just stayed there as her legs throbbed. She took deep breaths and closed her eyes in relief at how comforting it is to lie down on the soft grass.
Jeff looked down at her. "You're just gonna lay there all day?"
She didn't respond. Jeff muttered something under his breath as he bent down to lift her into his arms. She gasped and opened her eyes in surprise, tensing up in response to the touch. She felt like she was going to scream. What's he doing!?
Jeff rolled his eyes. "Calm the hell down, I'm just taking you inside since your lazy ass doesn't want to walk."
Sally tried to relax, but that was hard to do. Jeff did as he said he would, and he took her inside.
Once they did, they immediately saw Ben sitting on the couch, casually watching the television, leaning back with his hands behind his head.
Jeff growled as he glared at the intruder. "When the fuck did you get in here?"
Ben shrugged. "About an hour or so ago."
"I thought I told you to leave."
"You told Sally to leave, too. How come she gets to stay here?"
"There's a reason I'm allowing her to stay here. Now get out, or else I'll-"
Ben sat up and stared at Jeff with a daring expression. "Or you'll what? You know you can't hurt me. I'll go when I feel like it. Got a problem with that?"
Jeff shook his head and he dropped Sally onto the couch next to Ben. She winced once she landed, but then immediately relaxed, relieved that he had released her. Jeff walked up the staircase and disappeared into his room.
Ben turned towards Sally. "So, what have you and Jeff been doing?"
"He was teaching me to run," she told him. "Hoodie and Masky...I think they told him to."
"Oh. But can't you travel without running? I know you're immortal, and I know you can move inhumanly fast at your will."
Sally bit her lip. "I am immortal, but I can't...really control what I can do."
Ben furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean by that? Of course you can."
She shook her head. "That power only comes to me when...when I'm...angry. And hurting people."
Ben thought for a moment, but then understanding hit him. "Ohhh. Alright, well, the thing is, you can only use your true strength and speed if you're absolutely determined. That's what it relies on. Your anger must be what strengthens your determination to use that power. You just need to learn to control your power without relying on your anger. You don't need to learn how to run again. Besides, how can you? You're eternally physically unable to move properly. Why try?"
It took Sally a moment to understand what exactly Ben just told her, but she got the gist of it. "I'd just...like to be able to run again."
"Why though? Why take the time?"
She thought for a moment, and she closed her eyes as the truth came out. "Because...what else is there to do? I'm gonna live forever. I want to use all the time I can to learn. I want to learn before I..."
Her soft voice trailed off, but Ben caught up.
"Before you lose your mind, I'm guessing?"
She nodded. She isn't sure if that's what will really happen to her. It's just so difficult to imagine herself living forever and managing to keep her sanity intact.
Ben smirked. "It's not that bad. We immortals lose our minds sooner or later."
Her green eyes widened and met his gaze once it hit her what he said. He said we immortals, which means he's referring to himself, also. It would make sense, due to his unnatural abilities and the strange form he has; lack eyes and elfin-like ears. "Are you immortal, too?"
"Yeah, I am." he answered simply with a shrug. "I've been immortal for...huh. Several years now. Wow, time went by fast."
"How...can you stand it? Isn't it hard for you?"
He shrugged again, lifting his face upwards as he stared at the ceiling, his gaze unfocused as he was lost in his thoughts. "It was difficult at first. I won't get into much detail, but I'll just say that it's not so bad once you get used to it."
"I don't like it," Sally admitted softly. "I don't want to live forever."
Ben stared at her for a moment. "We don't have a choice. I don't fuckin' know how we become immortal, it just happens. And we're gonna have to live with it whether you like it or not."
Sally swallowed hard and didn't say anything for a bit, but then another thought came to her.
"Laughing Jack told me immortals can hurt other immortals," she whispered, looking at Ben, silently asking him if it's true.
Ben snorted. "He's tellin' the truth. Watch out for him, though. He's not the most trustworthy guy."
It was silent for a little bit, at least until Ben spoke up again.
"I know about your mom."
Sally blinked in surprise at Ben's words.
"M-My mommy?"
Ben nodded and smirked, "If you ask me, she's a whore. I've seen her messages."
Sally looked at him with a questioning gaze. "What's...a whore?"
He stared at her. "You don't know much, do you?"
Her shoulders slumped and she shook her head a bit.
Ben smirked again. "I'll tell you about it another time."
Sally's eyes widened. "Did you hurt her?"
His smirk darkened. "Nah, I didn't hurt her. I just...left a little message."
"Please don't hurt her."
"What's wrong with having a little fun with her? Besides, why's she so important? You do know she's just gonna replace you, right?"
"Wh...What?" Sally stared right back at him, her gaze demanding for answers.
Ben's expression became more mischievous. "What, haven't you heard? She's falling for another guy, she'll replace your dad and she'll replace you. She'll forget you."
Sally began to shake her head, her breath picking up its pace and scarlet tears began to fill her eyes. There's no way her mother would replace her and her father. "N-No, you're lying!"
"Am I? Am I really?" He asked, tilting his head. "Now, why would I do something like that?"
"She loves me!"
"And yet, she's going to replace you."
"No!" Sally abruptly stood up and screamed at him. "You're lying! I know you are!"
She then squeezed her eyes shut and wished for herself to be somewhere, anywhere, but here. She doesn't want to hear this, she doesn't want to hear Ben's voice say these things.
And then, in a flash, she was gone.
Ben sighed and shook his head. "Oh, Sally...when will you open your eyes to the real world?"
He kicked up his legs as he stretched. "Definitely too young for immortality."
Then he heard footsteps and saw Jeff walking down the stairs.
"What the devil is all the screaming about?" He asked, sounding annoyed.
Ben shrugged. "I dunno."

--                                                                         

Sally opened her eyes and found herself standing in the front of her own house. She's not sure how she got here, all she remembers is closing her eyes, wishing that she was somewhere else, and now she's here.
There doesn't seem to be anyone around, besides one policeman sitting on the porch, but he's half asleep, so he didn't see Sally.
Before she could take any chances, she made her way behind the decorative bushes near her house.
Sally closed her eyes and imagined herself in the room that belonged to that teenager she had killed only days ago, willing herself to be there. She remembered Ben's words, how he said that she needed to be absolutely determined in order to use her strength and speed.
Sally opened her eyes and now she's exactly where she wanted to be. So maybe Ben was right about that.
The room has been cleaned out of all furniture, the walls are plain and painted over with a white coating. It still smelt fresh, and it revolted Sally. The carpet has been removed and replaced with polished wooden flooring that creaked under her light weight.
The door is closed and the curtains are gone, letting in the sunlight and made the room bright.
The smell, the brightness, the emptiness...Sally isn't sure how to think of this place.
She hated it, and yet, she doesn't want to leave it.
She can hear voices and footsteps outside of the room and even within the room next to this one. That probably means there are still people reconstructing the house and cleaning it all free of any blood stains and anything else that the last family of this house was in possession of.
Sally sat down and curled up tightly, ignoring the pain the movement gave her. Her head swirled with thoughts and memories and voices. What happened at the cemetery last night, and what Laughing Jack said. What Ben said.
Is Ben going to hurt her mother? Will her mother really replace her? Is Laughing Jack going to hurt Sally?
She needs answers.
Sally wishes she had her knife, or maybe even that music box. She could use that soft melody right now, to numb out her senses and takes away her pain,
But she doesn't want to attract any attention, so she needs to be quiet.
She closed her eyes and let the darkness behind her eyelids comfort her.
Sally blocked out her thoughts, the surrounding noises, everything...she closed herself off from the world.
It was nice, not feeling anything for a little bit. No emotion or thoughts, just silence and darkness all around her, like floating in an endless void. Even if she can't be in this state forever, it was nice while it lasted.
She's not awake, nor asleep, dead or alive. Yet, one single question floated into her empty mind.
What is she going to do now?